Getting a Diagnosis - Finding a proper Doc (Read 673 times)

Finished!

I wish I wasnt one of the herds of injured that are all over the boards, but here's a question for you guys - the only time I normally go to the doctor is if I'm sick - and even then it's a last resort - which is what brings me to this query. Given the fact that I do appear to be damaged in some way shape or form, I don't know that my General Practitioner Dr would know what's up with my legs, and I have no idea how to find a sports doc. Anyone reading care to shed some light?
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      In my city, there is a bone and joint clinic. At least here, no recommendation is needed. The doctor I went to actuallly was a runner, and a lot of them know a lot about sports medicine in particular. Good luck! If you do need a recommendation, your regular doctor should have no problem with that. Smile Hope those shins get better Sad
      Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I've heard that word-of-mouth's pretty good for these things. Know any other runners around your area? I'd want to ask a long-time runner who they use...

Roads were made for journeys...

Scout7

Contact your insurance provider. They should have an idea of who they'll cover that can take care of you. If you don't have insurance, I would look at the AMA, or the AOSSM.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am a generalist physician. As part of my training we did learn a little bit about the human body Wink Your GP probably has some idea what is going on, and may even have some expertese. That said, it is reasonable to go see a sports med doc and to ask around your local running community to see who folks like.

Finished!

I am a generalist physician. As part of my training we did learn a little bit about the human body Wink
              LOL - no offense intended, Dr. Trent - I'm sure my close family and friends may also be abit aghast - (no lack of dr's tho none are close enough by for me to hit them up for a diagnosis) As I mention, I dislike going to the drs office esp when it's some random thing like these pains - they don't seem to stay in one place - well, other than to say the right leg is worse than the left :P Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to have to see what I can find out about the local running community.
              Walk + Jog = wog.
              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                I have worked with docs who know a ton about running (and other) injuries and others who refer most pts to someone else. It does seem like those who run or are athletic tend to be better at helping with injuries, however it is hard to call an internist and ask "does he or she run" when making an appointment with a straight face. But all frequently know good folks to send you too and can usually at least give you some decent advice until your appointment. You could also call an internist and ask their office staff if they know anyone they recommend, though I like the other options better. Having an internist or primary care doc isnt a bad idea anway, so if you dont have someone you like to see when you are sick or healthy, this could be an opportunity to get to know someone. I agree word of mouth is definately a great way to go! Good luck with it and feel better soon!