Training for a 3:30 marathon (Read 916 times)

mikeymike

I agree with all of the last three posters. A 5k result makes a poor predictor of marathon time. A 5k result is still probably the best race distance to use as a basis for marathon training paces. When in doubt, train slower. In marathon training, pure mileage and just staying healthy are the most important thing.

Runners run

I'm not sure I can fully articulate why, but I think there's an inherent contradiction between this: and this: Is it really sound to use 5K race times to set training paces for marathon training base when we know for a fact that the person doesn't have the base for that 5K race pace to translate up into marathon training distances? To paraphrase it, its like saying "5K race times are the best basis for setting large volume distance training paces because at the time you ran the 5K you weren't burdened by large volume distance training." Having successively added miles to a series of marathon training cycles, I personally feel that you have to factor the training volume into the training pace equation. Asking someone to take on new volume and new pace at the same time might be a bit much. In other words, just as a fast 5K doesn't always translate into a fast marathon, I think a fast 5K doesn't always translate into fast marathon training paces.
      It seems that way, doesn't it? However, I believe that you might find that it works well. I'm not one to recommend hammering workouts or other trainng runs either. Remember--I said BASE training pace on current 5k, NOT to actually run current 5k pace. If you run a 3-4 mile tempo run at 30-35 seconds per mile slower than you can race a 5k, it probably won't be too taxing. You'll know you had a workout, but you will be able to come back for another one within a few days or so. An easy run that is 2 min a mile slower than current 5k pace probably won't be too tough either. That said, I will never critcize anyone for going a little slower on their easy days, but it is good to be more exacting on key workout days. Someone else might be able to better articulate the whys about what I said, but I'm not the only one who subscribes to this theory.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        It seems that way, doesn't it? However, I believe that you might find that it works well.
        It is an interesting question, I agree. As with others, my 5K times would suggest slightly faster training paces than my half-marathon times (e.g., a 7:08 tempo pace versus the 7:20 that I currently use). I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if other people care to report better success building their marathon training paces from longer or shorter races.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Right on Hereford...

My weight could be a factor, 180bs. at 5' 10"...I figure if I get to 170 lbs, that would help also.
          I think if you lose 20 pounds, not just 10, your marathon times would drop significantly. 30 pounds would be better. But 10 would certainly help...
            Its really a matter of comfort of the type of training that you perform, for example, I like running about 6 miles each time out and I might walk for 30 minutes at night on the treadmill. But at six miles, I will not be ready for a marathon, in the few 1/2 that I have run, I couldn't imagine going another 1/2 afterwards. So the bottom line is that you need to build confidence at like an 8 minute pace for 10 miles, then instead of going faster, you should take it out to 14 to 18 miles and see how you feel and then make adjustments. Pfitzingers book has medium runs and long runs, and they build confidence. On my last 1/2 I was able to run 10 miles at marathon pace 4 weeks before the race and pretty much knew I was going to be ok on race day but only for a 1/2 because I trained to basically go 10 to 12 miles and then on race day I could go the extra mile.