Could shoes have caused/contributed to my knee issues...? (Read 804 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, this is really strange, and maybe it's just coincidence, but I started wearing a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 13s a little over a month ago. I don't like the overall fit as well as that of any of the NB stability shoes I have worn, but they have better arch support and my right outer arch area was experiencing some tendonitis issues that have all but disappeared with the more substantial arch of the Kayano. Anyhow...for the last couple of weeks I have had problems with my right knee ("runner's knee") which I had mainly attributed to spending too much time sitting in a car. In the last week my knee was feeling much better AND I had found some good (non-orthotic) arch cushion insoles to use in my relatively low-mileage NB 767s. So the last few runs I had done were in the 767s and were good runs...no abnormal aches or pains and my right knee felt pretty good. Yesterday I did my long run for the week and decided to wear the Asics, since the arch insoles are new in the NB shoes, so I didn't want to do a long run in them until the arches are more "broken-in." From almost the first step I was uncomfortable. About 6 miles in to the 10.5 mile run I felt better, but it was still an overall crappy, slow run. Today I went back to the NBs for an easy 4 miler and it was wonderful...almost painless, faster...and my knee felt MUCH better. Hmmm.... I really can't wait for the new NB 1223 to come out. If those babies have better arch support I will be sold. Or I may just buy some arch cushion insoles and ditch the stock ones if they are still flat. I think buying the Kayanos may have been messing with a good thing.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Could shoes have caused/contributed to my knee issues...?
      Yes. Shoes are probably the number one cause of knee and hip problems.
        I saw you mention the 1223s on another thread. Are they in stores yet? I should stop by my local NB store, there is one just a few miles from my house. You wore the 1221s but did not like the 1222s, correct? That is my current shoe and it is working ok for me.
        ---- Cynthia
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I saw you mention the 1223s on another thread. Are they in stores yet? I should stop by my local NB store, there is one just a few miles from my house. You wore the 1221s but did not like the 1222s, correct? That is my current shoe and it is working ok for me.
          Nope, not in stores (our NB store has a delivery date of early Aug. Official release of the shoe is early Sept.). I LOVE the 1222, but like most of the SL-1 lasted NB shoes, the insoles (I think they put the same WR-001 insole in them all, as they all have that same model # on the insole of every NB shoe I've owned) they put in them have minimal arch support. Even though I don't like the idea of spending $135 on a shoe, then an additional $20 on an insole, I may just bite the bullet and do it if the arch is no better in the 1223 and it otherwise fits me as well as the 1222. I haven't found a shoe I like as well as the 1222 (the 767 comes the closest, but the stability is a bit on the low end for me). Trent, I'm really beginning to think that those Asics aren't doing me any favors. They've definitely helped heal my foot, but it seems that maybe it's at the expense of my knee. I'll have a better idea in the next week or so as I continue to alternate shoe and pay close attention to symptoms. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another question...if it does turn out to be the shoes, should I return them? I know the store I bought them from has a great return policy, but they already are 6 weeks old and have 123 miles on them (but cost $135). I'd feel sort of bad about returning a shoe that I have worn for so long. And I likely wouldn't purchase a different pair--the store that I bought them from also owns the nearest NB store, so they don't really carry any NB styles at this store any longer. I'd be waiting to try the 1223, anyhow. How many weeks/miles have you put on a shoe and still returned it? k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Most stores will only take returns of shoes that have not been worn outside yet. Unfortunately yours sound like they have about 6 weeks and 123 miles too many on them. Bummer. But you can probably still use them for non running activities?

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know the store I bought them from has a VERY liberal return policy...but I'm not sure what that limit may be, if any. They will take back shoes that have been worn enough that they can't be resold. I just wonder *how* liberal they are. If I had well under 100 miles on them I'd not have any qualms about returning them, but beyond 100 I feel sorta guilty, even though the problems I've been having for several weeks now seem to be in large part due to the shoes that their sales guy believed were the best fit for me (after watching me run in them on a treadmill in the store). k

~ Sarah Kay

hmmm! we have similar knee issues... and i run in the SAME SHOES. my last pair of kayanos (12s) were fine and i had no problems whatsoever. but i noticed the 13s were slightly different and broke in differently for me (like, the right side of my right foot would feel tired, which didn't happen w/ the previous shoe). i wonder.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...have you ever run in any NB stability shoes? That would be interesting to be able to compare our experiences with more than one shoe model. I'm still going to wear the Kayanos--just for shorter runs, mostly. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stupid damn narrow "wide" Kayanos. I decided to wear them to rotate from my 767s and now I have a blister on the tip of my 3rd toe. I have at least an inch of shoe beyond my first and second toe, but the way the shoes cut sharply towards the first 2 toes and narrow they rub the outside of the tip of my dumb toe. Dumb feet, dumb shoes. And they still bothered my knee a bit, but not so bad if I don't wear them 2 days in a row, at least. k

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

I know the store I bought them from has a VERY liberal return policy...but I'm not sure what that limit may be, if any. They will take back shoes that have been worn enough that they can't be resold. I just wonder *how* liberal they are. If I had well under 100 miles on them I'd not have any qualms about returning them, but beyond 100 I feel sorta guilty, even though the problems I've been having for several weeks now seem to be in large part due to the shoes that their sales guy believed were the best fit for me (after watching me run in them on a treadmill in the store). k
                        As someone who works for a retail shoe company and used to work in a shoe store, I would say keep them. You could return them and the store would probably take them back, but the store will just have to eat the cost of the shoes. Most people get between 200-500 miles on running shoes so you really have gotten 1/4 to 1/2 of your estimated use out of the shoes. While the running stores can study your foot, etc, even the best gait analyst can't guarantee you that a shoe is going to work for you. There are lots of moving parts in the foot--matching proper running shoes with feet is a difficult job. I should know, I used to do it. The shoes don't work well for you, which is unfortunate. They solve one problem and create another. Is that the shoes fault? Kind of. Is it the running store's fault? Somewhat. Is it your fault for buying the "wrong" shoes? A little bit. So what do you do? If you return them to the running store, you are asking the running store to take full blame/pay the full cost for the issue. That's not fair. I would probably either keep them, use them for casual wear, be glad I got 100 miles out of them, and buy new ones; or take them back and ask the running store to give me half credit or something--split the difference. Just my opinion as someone on the other side. PS I will check tomorrow and let you know when the 1223 is actually due to ship--I met with my New Balance sales rep on Friday to look at the new stuff for spring of 2008. They have some cool stuff coming out!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

PS I will check tomorrow and let you know when the 1223 is actually due to ship--I met with my New Balance sales rep on Friday to look at the new stuff for spring of 2008. They have some cool stuff coming out!
                          Oooh...goody goody! Big grin Hey, you'll have to let me know what next year's running skirt will look like. I hope they eventually put out a model with briefs, rather than the compression shorts that they have been using. I'm guessing the '08 skirt will start with the letter C...Andare, Bonita, C___.... I'm hanging onto the Kayanos, but doing my best to wear them as little as possible...I got new insoles to use in my 1222s, so I hope to get them back into rotation for at least a few weeks. Pretty much trying to stick with the 767s as much as I can at the moment. k

~ Sarah Kay