Are Oakleys or Rudy Project worth the price? Alternatives? (Read 170 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a 3ish year old pair of Adidas sunglasses that have been decent, but the prescription is old and tonight I discovered a crack in the bridge.  I'm guessing that it won't be long before I essentially have 2 monocles.

I know Oakley and Rudy Project frames have a great reputation, but are they really THAT much better than anyone else?  I looked at Oakley's warranty...it's only 2 years, which doesn't really seem all that exceptional for something at a premium price.  My relatively cheap Adidas frames have held up at least that long.

Are there other brands worth looking into, perhaps with especially long warranties?  I'd have no issue with keeping frames for 5-6 years and replacing lenses as prescription warrants.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

All About that Pace 2024

I wear Smith Optics.  About 2/3 price of Oakleys, all the same interchangeable lenses etc.  Parallel Max is my favorite. I keep sunglasses for a long time so worth the extra cost to me.

mykerokk

I had a pair of Oakley Half Jackets for about 8 years. I only paid once to change out all the rubber on them, because they were getting a bit slimy and not as much grip. Had I not lost them, I would've probably went well over a decade of use. Granted I get a military price (about half the normal cost), but I did not hesitate to get another pair.

I wore a pair of Smith's a long time ago--I liked them, but not having the changeable rubber grips, over time the frames felt slick around the temples and they didn't stay up nearly as well.

If it were me, I'd invest in Oakley's, especially if you don't typically lose glasses.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Tape

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wore a pair of Smith's a long time ago--I liked them, but not having the changeable rubber grips, over time the frames felt slick around the temples and they didn't stay up nearly as well.

If it were me, I'd invest in Oakley's, especially if you don't typically lose glasses.

I don't (I still have a pair of Ray-Ban wayfarers that I bought almost 30 years ago, heh).  That's a good point about the replaceable nose and temple rubber pieces, too.  I wish more brands offered that.  The rubber nose pieces on my Adidas frames have definitely lost their grippy-ness.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

...I essentially have 2 monocles.

I know Oakley and Rudy Project frames have a great reputation...

I've been wearing Oakley Over-The-Tops since 2003. They work well in many applications, including watching sports and tennis. It's almost like wearing monocles and manacles at the same time. No problem swapping out standard prescriptions but the tan lines can be awkward.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, I wonder how those would fit under a helmet. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Ha, I wonder how those would fit under a helmet. Tongue

Absolutely.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well I know they wouldn't slide down my nose!

~ Sarah Kay

I've got a couple pairs of Rudy Project frames. I've got prescriptions in one and then regular sunglass lenses in the other. They are nice frames and lenses. I probably wouldn't have bought them if it wasn't for the fact I had left over Health Savings Account money a few years back. They are a bit heavier in my opinion than other frames but are nice. I've also had Bolle sunglasses; they are lightweight but eventually failed since they were frameless rims.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've also had Bolle sunglasses; they are lightweight but eventually failed since they were frameless rims.

I've had good luck with non-script Bolles in the past, too.

Funny you mention the frameless thing.  My current frames are rimless on the bottom 2/3.  I think this doesn't help their durability, but it does prevent blind spots when I'm looking over my shoulder for traffic while on the bike.

~ Sarah Kay

Marylander

This doesn't necessarily help you but one company produces a vast majority of sunglasses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

If you have a flexible spending account at work you can likely buy sunglasses using it...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This doesn't necessarily help you but one company produces a vast majority of sunglasses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

If you have a flexible spending account at work you can likely buy sunglasses using it...

That reminds me of the electronics industry...only a couple companies are responsible for all of the TVs we buy, apparently.

~ Sarah Kay

delicate flower

I love my Smith Pivlocks.  I don't see any part of the frame when I am in aero.  Nice, clear, open view of the road.

<3

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love my Smith Pivlocks.  I don't see any part of the frame when I am in aero.  Nice, clear, open view of the road.

Unfortunately these aren't prescription friendly without an insert and I have stupidly long eyelashes that don't do inserts well.  Bummer, because every cyclist I know with Pivlocks loves them.

~ Sarah Kay