Run for The Gym 5K (Read 432 times)

L Train

Run for the Gym 5K - 7/12/2008 This is a race that is in my little town, and pretty much takes place in my backyard. Actually that's not true because it would be weird making like 3000 laps around my backyard. But the gym for which this race raises money abuts my backyard, and all the festivities take place there. It's actually kind of a neat environment in the back of my house one day a year. I've been focused on adding mileage slowly over the last year, and more specifically over the last 3-4 months. To do that, I've been running most of my miles relatively easy so I could build the miles without hurting myself. I've mostly accomplished that (not hurting myself). But the exchange for that is that I've done very little "speedwork" if that's what you would even call it at my speed. Just some tempo runs and more recently very little interval work. My PR is 22:45 in the 5K, which I did at last year's race. Because I have done so little running with any pace, I had no idea whether I even could. I set 22:44 as my goal, and would have been happy with that. After the kid fun run (where my kids both did awesome), about 300 of us headed to the start. I found some people that I run with once a week or so (all of whom are better than me and that are nice enough to slow down for me on those runs) and settled in behind them. The starter said "Ready, set, go" and we were off. I had decided that I was going to try to run about a 7:15 pace to start. The first mile is uphill. You don't even really know you are going uphill, it's just a very steady, small incline. I got passed by a few people immediately, and didn't really pass too many myself. I just focused on lengthening my stride, swinging my arms and maintaining my breathing. By about 1/2 mile the field had thinned a little, and it was time to look around. Ahead about 40 yards were 3 runners from the weekly running group - Michael, Linda and Dick. They didn't really look like they were gaining a lot of ground on me so I decided to try to just maintain that space. At about .8 miles, we took a right onto a side road. This goes up and down some rolling hills, until we turn into a cul-de-sac and run back the way we came. As I reached mile 1, there was a girl counting 6:53....6:54....6:55. I had never been in the 6's at all in any race, and I was pretty sure I couldn't maintain that pace. I slowed a little to avoid crashing. On the rolling hills I actually started to catch Linda, which surprised me. I've been seeking out hills on my longer runs and I think it's helped me. I wasn't even sure it was her so I didn't say anything as I passed (nor did she). I think she picked up her pace a little, though, because I heard her the whole rest of the race. Around the cul-de-sac we go, and at about 1.7 miles I could see that I was gaining a little on Dick (maybe 20 yards). Linda was still with me. I'll pause here to say that my wife and I were hosting a little post-race party for the people I run with and their families, and a few other friends. We were stocked with beer and food, and it was going to be a good time. I don't even really know any of these people that well, just the runs on Tuesdays and I'm relatively new to the group. But like I said, the race is in our backyard, and it kind of begs for a party. And my wife loves parties. This is relevant because for some reason I decided to start yelling at Dick. I yelled ahead that he had better not let me catch him. He ignored me. I gained maybe 5 yards and yelled again. He ignored me. Dick is 56 and is a better runner that I'll ever be (certainly in his prime). I told myself that I was trying to motivate him by pushing him along. But in reality, I think it was all about me. I mean you can't start yelling like that and then NOT catch him - I might never hear the end of it (though he is a really nice guy and I'm sure he would let me off the hook). So I finally yelled that he couldn't have any beer at my house if he let me catch him. He stopped ignoring me and picked up his pace a little (and I'm pretty sure he cursed me). At mile 2, I heard 14:22...14:23....14:24. I was still doing OK and I thought I still had a good chance of making my goal. Before we turned the corner to go back down the hill for the last 0.8 miles or so I caught Dick. At that point I figured I had pissed him off a little, so I stopped talking. It was probably a bad idea to begin with but it was all in fun (and he took at that way). Then we turned the corner, and I'm just thinking about maintaining pace before I could just try to finish very strong and disregard any pain. It was too early for that, though. Then, Dick AND Linda both passed me. Serves me right, I thought. Dick got about 10 yards ahead of me, and Linda pretty quickly got about 30 yards in front of me. I decided to again focus on Dick, thinking if I coulld just stay with him I could try to pass him at the end. Then another guy passed me (Orange Shoes). And another woman came up loudly behind me (Heavy Feet). At about 0.5 miles I decided to try to kick a liitle earler than planned. What's the worst that could happen? I caught Dick and tried to leave him quickly. Heavy Feet was still with me. I then focused on Orange Shoes. We made a few turns and then the finish line was in sight (maybe 0.2 miles). I really started striding and working. Of course, they didn't really know I was racing them (or did they - it is a race, after all). Linda was maybe 10 yards ahead of me at this point and I'm sure had no idea I was coming or how maniacal I had become. The chute is really narrow (maybe enough for 2 wide) and is on the left side of the road. I was on the right. Linda was in the middle and Orange Shoes was on the left. I know longer heard the pounding of Heavy Feet. At about 40 yards or so Orange Shoes faded. Linda didn't leave me any room to get by and in the chute (not her fault), and I couldn't slow and get to her left because I couln't have passed her in time. So I accelerated again, and sort of lunged into the chute just in front of her as the photograper snapped away. That's probably a funny picture. Finishing time 21:30, a 1:15 PR. They really do a good job with the race as far as prizes, etc, and the kids all get something. I even got 3rd in my age group but that's an anomoly. Next year I'll move up a bracket and the people are actually faster (oddly). This was my last chance. It could have been better. I had a lot left at the end. It's hard to gauge when you are improving what you are actually capable of, because you have never done it before and you don't want to crash. Next time I will believe that I can get sub 21. And the post-race party was a success ( ithink). Dick came and had some beer. Linda came and told everyone how much of an a**hole I am - first for yelling at Dick, then for ruining her finish photo. All in good fun, though. Thanks for reading.

No worries about traffic on the way to that race, gotta like that. Nice race and report, felt like I was there. Good luck with breaking 21:00 Lance, it doesn't sound like you'll have a problem.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

mikeymike

I've been focused on adding mileage slowly over the last year, and more specifically over the last 3-4 months. To do that, I've been running most of my miles relatively easy so I could build the miles without hurting myself. I've mostly accomplished that (not hurting myself). But the exchange for that is that I've done very little "speedwork" if that's what you would even call it at my speed. Just some tempo runs and more recently very little interval work.
        I love the juxtaposition of the above... ...with the following:
        Finishing time 21:30, a 1:15 PR.
        Great stuff. Then there's this:
        It could have been better. I had a lot left at the end. It's hard to gauge when you are improving what you are actually capable of, because you have never done it before and you don't want to crash. Next time I will believe that I can get sub 21.
        Perfect. You smashed your PR and finished knowing you can go faster. A total success. Congrats! And as a side note:
        And my wife loves parties.
        Dude. You should have seen her in high school. (Hi D!)

Runners run

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow, that was very vivid. I felt like I was in your shoes. Good report L Train!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

At about .8 miles, we took a right onto a side road. This goes up and down some rolling hills, until we turn into a cul-de-sac and run back the way we came. As I reached mile 1, there was a girl counting 6:53....6:54....6:55. I had never been in the 6's at all in any race, and I was pretty sure I couldn't maintain that pace. I slowed a little to avoid crashing. At mile 2, I heard 14:22...14:23....14:24. I was still doing OK and I thought I still had a good chance of making my goal. Finishing time 21:30, a 1:15 PR. .
            So your splits were 6:55, 7:30, 6:30 (approximate 3rd mile) Very good story! I enjoyed it! I have been scolded before for slowing down in a 5k race...You can be forgiven because you had no idea what you are capable of...but run a few more and you will get the pacing down better. I had never been in the 6's at all in any race, and I was pretty sure I couldn't maintain that pace. I slowed a little to avoid crashing. No need to slow down in a race as short as a 5k...look at the miles you have been putting in. When you saw 6:55 for mile one as long as you felt okay you need not slow down...if you were hurting yes slow down but if not just try to relax and enjoy the pace. More than likely you would have slowed to 7:15 or so without trying to slow down...as you tend to lose focus on mile 2 after the adrenaline at the start. But you were shouting to your buddy trying to catch him so it sounds like you were going a bit too slow on mile 2. Nice work!