Encouragement for Older Runners - New PR at age 49 (Read 155 times)

I apologize for the self-indulgence but I feel a new thread is warranted.  I've been chasing a 10K PR for a long time now and today I finally accomplished beating my 10K race PR from when I was 18!

I honestly didn't know if this day would ever come but I managed to achieve my stretch running goal of beating my 10K time of 41:15 from when I was 18 today! I got pretty close last month but wasn't sure if I could actually do it. The weather was perfect today - 63 degrees and 57 dew point to start with almost no wind. I planned a hard effort but didn't really set out to do it. During the second half though, I really concentrated and gave it my all. As a bonus, I set a new PR for my 5K time as well during that second half!

Stats:

Miles: 6.20 (10K)

Time: 41:10 for a *6:38*/mile pace

Splits:

First 3.10 in 21:03 for a 6:47/mile pace

Second 3.10 in *20:07* for a 6:29/mile pace

My previous 5K PR was from a race 2 years ago that I ran in 20:18. I feel good about beating that but the overall 10K PR is what really excites me. I again wore my Endorphin Speeds which are just amazing. I also wore shorter shorts which were lighter and allowed me even more freedom of movement. To say I'm psyched is an under-statement. I'll be 50 years old in December. What should my next 10K goal be? Is under 40 minutes even conceivable?

I only got back into running at age 47 so there was a long gap where I was either inactive or only into cycling.  Still, I think it's encouraging for all middle-aged runners to know that our bodies are still capable of a lot and even surpassing things we did when we were a lot younger.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Whoa, dude. Congratulations!!!!

HermosaBoy

Well done!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Nice job. How much you can improve will depend on how much mileage you are currently running to achieve this result. If you are running big mileage say over 60 mpw then there will be less chance of improving but if you are relatively low under 30 mpw then definitely you can keep improving if you keep increasing the training load.

Some advantages as a late to start runner are mental toughness and motivation that we didn't have as younger runners.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Sorry just saw your training log. Looks like you average around 25 mpw so plenty of room for improvement 😉

Congratulations. A terrific time at any age.

Thanks ch17, HermosaBoy, and Doug B!

Nice job. How much you can improve will depend on how much mileage you are currently running to achieve this result. If you are running big mileage say over 60 mpw then there will be less chance of improving but if you are relatively low under 30 mpw then definitely you can keep improving if you keep increasing the training load.

Some advantages as a late to start runner are mental toughness and motivation that we didn't have as younger runners.

piwikiwi - Thanks!  Yes, my mileage is on the low side.  Injury prevention is paramount to me as I've had problems when I was younger.  I do at times add a fourth run to bring my weekly mileage to just over 30 but try to be cautious.  It's possible my body will keep toughening up and I'll be able to boost my weekly mileage safely.  My main three weekly runs are fairly intense.

Your PBs at over age 50 are very inspirational!  Awesome job.  Ha, ha maybe someday I could approach them.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

mikeymike

Congrats--glad you stuck with it and got it done!

Was this a solo time trial? There aren't too many Tuesday 10k's around here.

If so I still think you can go faster in a real race Smile

Runners run

Jason yes injury avoidance is very important. I have to run at least 50 mpw to achieve good results for me. I think you will toughen up after only 3 years in.

Congrats--glad you stuck with it and got it done!

Was this a solo time trial? There aren't too many Tuesday 10k's around here.

If so I still think you can go faster in a real race Smile

Thanks!  Yes, it was a solo time trial on the same course I've used before that I measured out using my cycle computer for the best accuracy.  It's also a course devoid of having to stop at any intersections so ideal for time trialing.

I remember your encouragement after I ran that 5K race two years ago.  There was a discussion at the time about my 5K potential and how to get my time under 20 minutes.  I'm sure that's doable now but I'll probably continue to focus on the 10K as I prefer that distance.

I agree about a real race bringing me a faster time.  I don't know about 71 seconds' worth to get me under 40 minutes but it's at least in the realm of possibility.

Personal Records:

mikeymike

Short turnaround but if you want to strike while the iron is hot, the Lone Gull 10k is this Sunday at Good Harbor beach. It's a pretty fast course and will feature a *very* fast field.

Runners run

SMART Approach

Congrats. Negative split is key. Remember this for the future. You have a lot of potential if you can increase your volume. Honestly if you add 2 more EASY RUNS per week even 10 min pace from 4-6 miles it can make a big difference as will some miles to long run. This can actually contribute to you staying healthy as you will have more miles to support the faster stuff.  25 miles a week only takes you so far and then progresss will halt without more cappillaries and aerobic base. Build miles and stick to or build to 80% easy running 20% harder running. This is a proven formula. I personally do 90/10 and for my clients I lean 90/10 until they build to 30 miles per week. 90/10 Works for me as running health and staying injury free is my #1 priority.

Note: I agree on those SPEEDS. There is something magical about them to point where I simply run faster in them with same effort. There is simply no doubt about it. Happens every time. Doing a HALF in them Sunday and pumped.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Short turnaround but if you want to strike while the iron is hot, the Lone Gull 10k is this Sunday at Good Harbor beach. It's a pretty fast course and will feature a *very* fast field.

In 2019 after my 5K race, I looked into that 10K but didn't quite pull the trigger then last year it was canceled due to Covid.  I kind of forgot about it this year.  I think it's a bit too quick of a turnaround though as, for all intents and purposes, my time-trial was an all-out race for me.  Next year, I think that race would be ideal for me.

Personal Records:

Congrats. Negative split is key. Remember this for the future. You have a lot of potential if you can increase your volume. Honestly if you add 2 more EASY RUNS per week even 10 min pace from 4-6 miles it can make a big difference as will some miles to long run. This can actually contribute to you staying healthy as you will have more miles to support the faster stuff.  25 miles a week only takes you so far and then progresss will halt without more cappillaries and aerobic base. Build miles and stick to or build to 80% easy running 20% harder running. This is a proven formula. I personally do 90/10 and for my clients I lean 90/10 until they build to 30 miles per week. 90/10 Works for me as running health and staying injury free is my #1 priority.

Note: I agree on those SPEEDS. There is something magical about them to point where I simply run faster in them with same effort. There is simply no doubt about it. Happens every time. Doing a HALF in them Sunday and pumped.

We agree 100% on the negative splitting.  Almost every run I do is a negative split and I think I actually take it a bit too far sometimes.  I just find it so much easier mentally to run faster knowing I'm on the second half.

I hear you about the extra runs.  I know I'm an outlier as I continue what is basically a modified version of the Run Less, Run Faster program.  I'm definitely seeing improvement but you could be right that there may be limits to the lower and more intense mileage.  Part of it is time in my schedule and I just really enjoy running at faster speeds.  When people call easy runs "fun" runs, it's just not that way for me.  I love the feeling of pushing and the better endorphin rush you get after such runs.  I'm keeping an open mind though and will consider trying to add at least one more run a week of the easy variety.

I also totally agree about the Speeds.  They're the best running shoes I've ever worn.  Hopefully the "2" iteration doesn't take any of the magic away.  From the reviews I've seen, they're still just as good as the originals.

Thanks for your encouragement and advice.

Personal Records:

Good job!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying