Wife building running base, how to stay active after minor surgery (Read 53 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

My wife was very inactive during pregnancy for all of 2018. After she recovered from c-section beginning of January, she was very motivated to lose weight and get active again. She joined Weight Watchers and started running with the only advice coming from me. She has lost 27 lbs from her pre-pregnancy weight and has been very motivated with running. She has run a couple 5k's and is finally building her base to run 3 miles without having to walk.

She had a minor procedure today on her shin to remove skin around a suspicious mole as a precaution. She has 7 stitches and the doctor has told her no physical activity on her feet for 2 weeks and no running for at least 3 weeks. Obviously she is very discouraged to have all the work put in to building her running based and then not be able to run for 3 weeks. She was starting to get shin splints so a week off could do some good but she is worried about losing her endurance.

Any ideas on how she can keep doing cardio for 2 weeks until she is able to do cycling and the elliptical? She is going to do free weights for upper body and she is able to use her feet/legs, just no stress on the incision until stitches come out. Doing weights and walking will keep her "active" but obviously not tough cardio to help keep up endurance.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Doing weights and walking will keep her "active" but obviously not tough cardio to help keep up endurance.

Don't underestimate walking to maintain endurance, but it has to be very brisk walking or power walking.  I regularly incorporate walking in my training for ultra marathons.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've been in your wife's shoes more than once.  I agree that vigorous walking is good.  On your part, please just be very encouraging and assure her she'll do great once she can start seriously exercising again.  It has been so easy for me to get discouraged and just throw in the towel.  I really need my husband's support to keep going.

SMART Approach

Rowing machine. Air Dyne bike just using arms. These are two options for cardio. It is weird she is allowed to walk but no elliptical. Sustained walking likely to stress skin and soft tissue more than an elliptical. Have her focus on upper body big time with multiple reps. There are so many things she can domwith weight to get heart rate cranking for 3 weeks. She may like it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Thanks for the suggestions and my wife said several times last night "I definitely underestimated this minor procedure" after feeling the pain of the incision with 7 stitches.

When I say she is allowed to walk, this means a stroll around the neighborhood and not power walking or doing the treadmill at 15% incline. I didn't even think about the row machine which I think will be a good idea since to you can limit your seat movement and use mostly upper body for cardio.

I will definitely keep encouraging her as she is taking up running for weight loss but also has been motivated by improving her times. Her next race is coming up 6 weeks from now so she is just going to have to accept that life happens and we will sign up for another 5k later in the Fall if she doesn't do well in the next one.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

paul2432

Can it get wet?  If so pool running might work. Dark wave who posts here has a blog dedicated to pool running.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Even if she were to lose all fitness (she won’t), the worst that can happen is that she would have to start from scratch. It sounds like she’s motivated to keep at it, which is far more than half of the battle. Healing right the first time around is really important.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay