Icing?? Do you ice? Should you ice? (Read 114 times)

SMART Approach

This topic kind of goes along with another thread on RA regarding should you take NSAIDS before, during or after runs/races or hard activity?

Did you know that Dr Gabe Mirkin the inventor of R.I.C.E. in 1978 has recanted this treatment and protocol for injury/recovery. Interesting topic.

The 1 hour podcast/interview below with former MMA fighter Miesha Tate and Gary Reinl explains the history of icing, rationale, theory,  myths etc. An awesome interview with everything explained in a way that everyone can understand. Try to listen in its entirety all at once. For me, I actually stopped icing about 3 years ago and finally my hamstring issues completely cleared up and I just felt better overall. It ultimately lead to and contributed to my career change this year.

http://themieshatateshow.libsyn.com/gary-reinl-the-anti-ice-man

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I only ice if it's within the first few days of something creeping up. I would certainly never ice a muscle like a hamstring. There, I would go with heat, even though most PTs would just have you keep icing forever. It really depends on the injury and knowing your body.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SMART Approach

JMac, what is your goal when icing within first few days? This is a question asked in the podcast and curious of your answer or anyone’s answer. Also, a hamstring is a muscle like any other....why would you treat it differently?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yes, that was my point: a hamstring is a muscle. I would only ice tendons/ligaments.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mikeymike

The 1 hour podcast/interview below with former MMA fighter Miesha Tate and Gary Reinl explains the history of icing, rationale, theory,  myths etc. An awesome interview with everything explained in a way that everyone can understand. Try to listen in its entirety all at once. For me, I actually stopped icing about 3 years ago and finally my hamstring issues completely cleared up and I just felt better overall. It ultimately lead to and contributed to my career change this year.

http://themieshatateshow.libsyn.com/gary-reinl-the-anti-ice-man

This was great. She's a good interviewer.

I don't believe in icing injuries--it never made sense to me and I stopped doing it a long time ago.

My kids will be thrilled to hear that "walk it off" is scientifically sound.

Runners run

AceHarris

I mix ice and heat. If it makes me feel better I continue doing it, if it doesn't I stop.

A mix of ice and stretching benefited some nagging Achilles pain and medial tibia stress syndrome that I had earlier this year.

I think this falls into the category of limited benefits and harms, do what works for you.

I'll try to listen to the podcast at some point.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

SMART Approach

Yes, that was my point: a hamstring is a muscle. I would only ice tendons/ligaments.

Well, they are all soft tissue and tendon is part of the muscle and when stressed/injured, the body reacts the same way to start the healing process. I am not trying to challenge you but provide healthy open conversation and still am curious as to what your goal is with icing. If you listen to the podcast you will know where I am coming from.

SMART Approach

This was great. She's a good interviewer.

I don't believe in icing injuries--it never made sense to me and I stopped doing it a long time ago.

My kids will be thrilled to hear that "walk it off" is scientifically sound.

Thanks for the feedback. Gary is a neat guy. I had a nice conversation with him a couple weeks ago. Yes, great interview (one of my favorites ever in sports medicine based on the topic) and she has a great voice and asked the questions at the right time and from an athlete’s standpoint who has had injuries and has some knowledge but not all the knowledge. It all makes so much sense. DON’T ICE in almost all cases.

rlopez

Icing injuries hurts like a mofo and I stopped doing it years ago. I've read Mirkin's (side note, heh) recantation and it makes sense to me.

Which brings me to ice baths. Used to be that if you didn't take an ice bath after a long run, you were considered a idiot. And a hot bath? A idiot with an attitude problem.

Disclosure - I made it through various doubles, triples, quadzillae, and goofy shit like 50m+50k by... taking a hot bath after each day's event. Seemed to help me lots. And through 18 years of running and 500ish long events, I never took an ice bath ever.

But I am older and injured now so don't listen to me.

I'm still not sitting in an ice bath though. Screw that.

SMART Approach

Icing injuries hurts like a mofo and I stopped doing it years ago. I've read Mirkin's (side note, heh) recantation and it makes sense to me.

Which brings me to ice baths. Used to be that if you didn't take an ice bath after a long run, you were considered a idiot. And a hot bath? A idiot with an attitude problem.

Disclosure - I made it through various doubles, triples, quadzillae, and goofy shit like 50m+50k by... taking a hot bath after each day's event. Seemed to help me lots. And through 18 years of running and 500ish long events, I never took an ice bath ever.

But I am older and injured now so don't listen to me.

I'm still not sitting in an ice bath though. Screw that.

Sitting in a hot bath after a work out or race would be more beneficial for recovery after an event or work out. However, if body temperature is raised or it is warm, one would want to get body temperature back toward normal before going in a hot bath.  An ideal scenario would be to sit in a cool (not cold) bath for a bit then hot bath. The cool bath won't do much for recovery but does serve as a central nervous system reset.

I spoke recently with training staff with my local pro team that uses the device I represent for muscle activation and recovery, however they still allow their athletes to do ice baths. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I am with you rlopez, iif something feels so miserable or painful to do (ice baths), how can it be good for you? Movement or muscle activation optimizes recovery not sitting around with ice on your body. Common sense but we are all programmed and trained to believe that ice heals. It just doesn't.

renaultf2

I understand, I also ran to the doctors in my time

A lot of recent studies show icing to be rubbish. Stretching, too. Go figure!

Good To Go by Christie Aschwand

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

A lot of recent studies show icing to be rubbish. Stretching, too. Go figure!

Good To Go by Christie Aschwand

I'll ice a joint (like my knee) when it really aches, but mostly for the short-term relief.  I've learned never to static stretch before a run and now that I run 6 days/week I rarely stretch afterwards.  People at work who run occasionally, or 1-3 times/week, don't understand how I can get by without stretching, but I feel like my body is so accustomed to running that I don't need to.  After all, I don't stretch before walking, or mowing the lawn.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28