My first ever trophy (Read 1025 times)

Yesterday I ran the last handicap race of my club's race year. I was second home, and first woman and I got a trophy! Its called the Arkwright Cup and has been presented every year since 1979. Next week it goes back to get my name engraved on it and then I get it presented at our club prizegiving in a few weeks time. I've never won a trophy for anything before. And obviously I'll never be fast enough to win anything other than a handicap race but I'm so happy anyway Big grin
      Awesome! Congratulations. Winning a trophy and having it engraved, that's cool. Smile Very nice pace too.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A handicap race? Where can I register for one of those? How does that work? Ooh, a trophy is way cool! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

our club does about 6 of these races each year over various distances from about 5k to 10k. it gives you a really good incentive to improve - i know i'll never beat the fastest people in the club in a normal race but if i improve the most over any given period of time i stand a good chance of winning a handicap race.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that is a very cool idea! How many people are in your club? k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oops, double post. k

~ Sarah Kay

That's a great! Congrats!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

i'd guess at a total club membership of about 200? on any normal weekend we get about 100-120 out for a pack run. on race weekends we normally get about 90-100 out. this weekend about 15 of the fastest people were away representing wellington in the new zealand road championships. in our handicap races 44 ran in the seniors race, 5 in the juniors (under 20) and 14 in the J-team (under 14) plus 9 people competed in the race-walk. its pretty cool to watch as most people compete in club colours. these are some photos from a handicap race from about a month ago where i didn't compete as i had a cold (i might have posted these before - sorry if so!) Baudinet Cup
                    this is my club - wellington scottish

Into the wild

Well done Mandy and I loved the beach run pics.

Shut up and run

va

Congrats Mandy! That handicapping sounds like a great idea, and it looks like it's a great running club.
                          WTG Mandy, that is awesome! First girl home? You should be very proud of yourself! I heard that they used to do a bunch of handicap races in New England back in the 40s and 50s, but I don't know if they do anymore. It sounds like a blast.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i'd guess at a total club membership of about 200? on any normal weekend we get about 100-120 out for a pack run. on race weekends we normally get about 90-100 out.
                            Wow, that's excellent! I'm a member of a club, but I think they have--at most--maybe 50 members...not really enough to do an event like that handicapped run, unfortuantely. I should move to Scotland (seriously, if that were ever an option I'd LOVE it. DH went to school in Aberdeen for a year). Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations! Where is the trophy now? I'd put it right smack in the middle of the coffee table so EVERYONE could see it! Wink
                              2009: BQ?

madness baby

Yeah, put that trophy up! Very impressive, Mandy. I think it must be great to run with a group of people. That is a lot of people for a weekend run!
                                deb