2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Yes, mileage has been my primary focus during the last months. I've always had plenty of speed but never enough mileage to run a good marathon. Hopefully this time, I'll be able to close a bit of that gap.

Viich, best of luck. What's your take on the mileage?

That I wish I'd run more?

I've still got this week and 6 more before my marathon, hopefully the weather will warm up in the next couple weeks, one of my distractions is gone (curling ice is out of the club now). I think I'm on track for 2:55 for me. I certainly am much better trained now than I was for my half PB.

Good luck to you too Viich!

Similar PR and similar goals - A significant training mileage difference: Chrbech Dec - Mar = 963 (240/ mo),  Viich Dec - Mar = 375 (94/ mo)

I think Viich it is very doable - just a little less margin for error because of your lower mileage.

DB, I'm with you, I wish I was working on more mileage, especially from the second half of last year. 

My race isn't until end May, and there are some significant training load events that aren't in my log, mainly because I don't really have a category for 5 hours of pulling a 300 lb toboggan on snowshoes with 85lbs on my back. That and the next few days living in tents really put a damper on training for almost 2 weeks, it was a bigger effort than my half marathon pb, for sure.

Also no category for curling. Not that it's great conditioning, but I can't train very much and still perform curling, and I made it to a club-curling provincial semi-final. Lot of games, sore quads, but not much training effect.

That I wish I'd run more?

I've still got this week and 6 more before my marathon, hopefully the weather will warm up in the next couple weeks, one of my distractions is gone (curling ice is out of the club now). I think I'm on track for 2:55 for me. I certainly am much better trained now than I was for my half PB.

Good point, I somehow assumed that you were running Boston. Still plenty of time to get some good runs in.

DoppleBock

Agreed that sounds like a great training load

I would see curling and decent core work out. 

DB, I'm with you, I wish I was working on more mileage, especially from the second half of last year. 

My race isn't until end May, and there are some significant training load events that aren't in my log, mainly because I don't really have a category for 5 hours of pulling a 300 lb toboggan on snowshoes with 85lbs on my back. That and the next few days living in tents really put a damper on training for almost 2 weeks, it was a bigger effort than my half marathon pb, for sure.

Also no category for curling. Not that it's great conditioning, but I can't train very much and still perform curling, and I made it to a club-curling provincial semi-final. Lot of games, sore quads, but not much training effect.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

My attempt on the 29th is off.  A good friend is getting married the day before now and I will struggle logistically to get there.

It's a shame as I am in reasonable shape (with a 1:18:18 half 10 days ago), though I've not done many longer efforts in the build up.

Still I'll book another one for the autumn and maybe the extra time will be a blessing after a summer of shorter races.

Roth, have fun at the wedding!  Let us know when you reschedule.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

ChrBech -- 15APR2012 -- Bungay (Bungay, UK)

bhearn – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = sub-2:55

BostonBug – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = 2:55

Candice S. – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = RAWR

ChakaKahn – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = 2:42

Doug- – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = sub-2:53

muebele – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

Nemo ME – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

PaulyGram – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = 2:50

Screen name1 – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

Walt.RB – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

Darn near go time - Stay smooth everyone!

HermosaBoy

Can you add me to the list with another attempt at Fargo on 5/19?

Not sure I am going to shoot for the <2:40 again, but we will see how the next few weeks go...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Are we there yet?

ChrBech -- 15APR2012 -- Bungay (Bungay, UK)

bhearn – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = sub-2:55

BostonBug – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = 2:55

Candice S. – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = RAWR

ChakaKahn – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = 2:42             > Finish. 2.5 weeks back running from injury. Smile

Doug- – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = sub-2:53

muebele – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

Nemo ME – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

PaulyGram – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA) -- Goal = 2:50

Screen name1 – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

Walt.RB – 16APR2012 – Boston (Boston MA)

Darn near go time - Stay smooth everyone!

Good Luck Everyone!!!

DoppleBock

I think I am finally where I need to be ... 9 days before the marathon ... not where I wanted to be, but where I need to be.  Hamstring is still a little twingy - But with continue treatment, I think it will hold.  My weight is not were I want, but I will be between 205-210 good enough.  My stamina could not be better, my speed is my weak point - It was a real question mark until last night - Put together a workout that would indicate I can break 3.

The only thring left is taper - This could be a problem and I am spliting my focus between beeing ready to run a 24 hour race on May 12-13 and tape for the marathon - Taper has lost out so far.  I am in the dangerous position of having run (By the end of the day) 190+ miles in the last 7 days 2 nice speed wotkouts, 1-43 miler and 1-31 miler.  I will be doing an 8 day taper, starting tomorrow.

I am not looking to change my goal to anything other than sub 3.  But on a good weather day I think I will be 2:53-2:56.

jjameson

Good luck to all Boston runners -- please post reports when you can

DB-- glad to hear things are improving.

I'm feeling better myself -- like the training is starting to make me stronger instead of tearing me down.  Today I ran 18 with 13 at marathon pace (6:44 pace) average HR 149.  I felt like I could maybe hold the pace for another half hour before I would have to start slowing down.  Couldn't do it for 3 hours.  I have 6 weeks before the marathon.

Are we there yet?

Good luck to all Boston runners -- please post reports when you can

DB-- glad to hear things are improving.

I'm feeling better myself -- like the training is starting to make me stronger instead of tearing me down.  Today I ran 18 with 13 at marathon pace (6:44 pace) average HR 149.  I felt like I could maybe hold the pace for another half hour before I would have to start slowing down.  Couldn't do it for 3 hours.  I have 6 weeks before the marathon.

Great run today!

Good luck DB..

Clive, please add SF Marathon 7.29 & Monumental Marathon 11.3

DoppleBock

I ran a simple 24 minutes @ T pace last night - Pace was comfortable, but the hastring barked and makes me question if it will stay happy for the marathon in 7 days

bhearn

Well sub-3 is definitely out the window for Boston... forecast is 88 degrees. I have Big Sur 2 weeks later, but I don't think I can run sub-3 on that course. Maybe CIM, in December. Gotta switch gears at this point and start training for Western States 100.

2:55:15 for me at Bungay (1:27:42 and 1:27:33 splits). Near-perfect execution, don't think I could have pulled much more out of that course today. My first sub-3 and a 14 minute pb. Very happy with that. Looking forward to all the Boston reports now!