Recording Non-Timed Cross-Training (Read 464 times)

I started using RA a week or so ago, and have a question about recording cross-training.  I rock-climb (at a gym) several times per week, and also am working through a 100 Pushup-type program.  I'd like to be able to enter these workouts and track a unit other than distance: For example, I'd like to track the number of pushups I do (and be able to see a report showing the totals).  For rock climbing, maybe track "points" (like a 5.8 is worth X points).  If that makes sense.  So I guess I'd ideally like to be able to input a custom measurement unit (instead of miles, km, yards) for these activities.

I know that RA is primarily a running log, and it's certainly not a deal-breaker if there's no pretty way to do this, but ideally I'd like to track all my activity here.  How do you track non-timed, non-distance-based cross-training activities?

One workaround I thought of is to use one of the measurement units that I never use for running (like yards) and pretend it means something different.  So when I enter a pushups workout I'd enter that I did 50 "yards" but I really did 50 pushups.  Would that mess with my running totals?  Is there a better workaround?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, and thanks in advance for the help. =)

~Kate

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.

eric :)

Hi Kate,

You can use the weight training type to track push ups.  Add push up as an exercise and then you can specify the reps.

As for rock climbing, you cannot have custom units at this point.  I'm revamping the training log right now.  When I get to the workout editor, I'll see if I can add support for custom units.

Hi Eric.  Thanks for the help!  The more I use RA, the more pleased I am with it.  It's an awesome tool!  I think for now I will commandeer an unused unit to track some things, since I can't seem to see a report of weekly/monthly/total reps for a strength exercise.  I know it's stupid, but I kind of like knowing how many pushups I did this year. =)

I just discovered that I can customize the main page of my training log with various graphs and widgets, which meant I spent way too much time playing around with it.  Thanks for developing such an excellent site, and for individually responding to questions and requests!

~Kate

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.