High school (and former) track athletes. Meet questions. (Read 112 times)

Village people

We want to plan a high energy track meet to coincide with a senior night. I am thinking maybe in the evening under the lights like a football game. Music, cheerleader, tailgating… Our basketball team just won state championship and the support was phenomenal. So many adults attended who didn’t have kids on the team. Imagine that! I’d like to see our track athletes feel that excitement.

Anyone ever done something like that?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The only thing I'd ask is whether the track is well lit. Often the lights are directed at the football field, so the track is too dim to run on. Otherwise, sounds like a great idea!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dumrunner

My daughters' HS track team had a senior night at the end of the season and invited parents and coaches to participate in events. It was a lot of fun.

Village people

My daughters' HS track team had a senior night at the end of the season and invited parents and coaches to participate in events. It was a lot of fun.

That might be interesting. Good point about the lights. I think it is pretty good and my only concern would be field events.

kilkee

runktrun

You'll want to give some thought to the events.  Distance races can get a little boring, but you don't want distance track runners or XC runners to feel left out.

A competitive mile is always fun.

open 800

open 400

competitive 4 x 400 relay

"all comers" 4 x 400 relay - we used to have our throwers race a 4 x 4 at the end of the season. Maybe you could open up some heats to the community too.

Sprints are probably the easiest, but make sure you seed them well.

Not sure if you want to bother with hurdles because those take time to set up and can kill the vibe.

Depending on your jumps and throws talent, you could pause track events to showcase them rather than running them concurrently.

I think it's a cool idea but you'll need a critical mass of athletes AND spectators to keep the energy high.  Really hype up some of the matchups.  Maybe have an event of coaches vs kids.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Last man standing races are always crazy fun.

Do a last man standing mile where last 1-2 competitors each lap are eliminated from the race. It really changes up the pacing and strategy.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Village people

You'll want to give some thought to the events.  Distance races can get a little boring, but you don't want distance track runners or XC runners to feel left out.

A competitive mile is always fun.

open 800

open 400

competitive 4 x 400 relay

"all comers" 4 x 400 relay - we used to have our throwers race a 4 x 4 at the end of the season. Maybe you could open up some heats to the community too.

Sprints are probably the easiest, but make sure you seed them well.

Not sure if you want to bother with hurdles because those take time to set up and can kill the vibe.

Depending on your jumps and throws talent, you could pause track events to showcase them rather than running them concurrently.

I think it's a cool idea but you'll need a critical mass of athletes AND spectators to keep the energy high.  Really hype up some of the matchups.  Maybe have an event of coaches vs kids.

These are great ideas! I wasn’t thinking about longer races. I love meets but those are rough.

We have a senior thrower who is up there in the state rankings so I’d like to make sure he throws and one of girls is nationally ranked. She might be our draw. Realistically, it might just turn into a fun meet for the team. I’d love to see them get some attention, though. A few are going on to compete at D1 schools.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We want to plan a high energy track meet to coincide with a senior night. I am thinking maybe in the evening under the lights like a football game. Music, cheerleader, tailgating… Our basketball team just won state championship and the support was phenomenal. So many adults attended who didn’t have kids on the team. Imagine that! I’d like to see our track athletes feel that excitement.

Anyone ever done something like that?

I have no experience with this, but...to convince people to mosey over to the track, I would see if you could get some food trucks or something to participate (not at your cost - they'd sell to customers).  Or have a barbecue competition too or something like that.  Basically create a situation where people buy food, look for someplace to sit, and sit in the stands.  Then they get sucked into the meet.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

That might be interesting. Good point about the lights. I think it is pretty good and my only concern would be field events.

If it's like every other high school track/football field I've seen in New England the lights are outside the track (and behind the bleachers) so the track is very well lit when the lghts are on. Some of throwing events not being super well lit, but it should still be doable. At my town's highschool the only event that wouldn't be directly under lights would be the discus, but it's close enough that it wouldn't be in the dark either. You could see if the DPW has portable lights they could set up.

This sounds really fun. I honestly don't think you'd need to do much more than promote ahead of time have a good soundtrack and someone really good and lively working the PA. Food trucks would be a bonus.

Is this a regularly scheduled meet like a league dual meet that you want to move to night time, or like a special "exhibition" meet? Even if it's the former, the longest high school race is 2 miles and even that isn't a killer if you have the PA announcer working it. The trick is to keep the schedule moving. If it's being officiated by the interscholastic athletic association officials it will be slooooow.

Runners run

sueshaw

ridiculous spam
                      dorunrun

All GREAT ideas! We do something similar, and just always schedule the Field events FIRST!  So, since it's in late Spring (early May), no lights are necessary for them (and the weather in NW Ohio is starting to warm up!  Which is also VERY important!).  Then, as the running events progress, THE LIGHTS COME ON!!  The kids love it!  Kudos to you for wanting to promote this much deserving sport!

Village people

All GREAT ideas! We do something similar, and just always schedule the Field events FIRST!  So, since it's in late Spring (early May), no lights are necessary for them (and the weather in NW Ohio is starting to warm up!  Which is also VERY important!).  Then, as the running events progress, THE LIGHTS COME ON!!  The kids love it!  Kudos to you for wanting to promote this much deserving sport!

Field events first is smart. 

Thank you all for your ideas.

gary097

spam
                            SusanaBrooks

just as Teresa predicted...
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hmm, posting a few times and then you're planning on spamming the forum?  Not very imaginative.