badges for achievements (Read 687 times)

You know in video games where certain badges are unlocked for certain achievements (PS3 calls them trophies), for me these are very motivating to put more time into a ultimately useless and unfulfilling task. I'm wondering, though, if a kind of badge system could be used here to motivate runners to PR, and reach pre-determined achievements (common in the running world (sub-3, and 4 hour marathons, sub 20 5k) running 40 miles in a week. the achievements could then be put up on a wall for others to see and be motivated by.

Just a thought,

A.

xor

While I could personally go either way on badges and whatnot, I will say that stars (and the collection thereof) has been a damn popular aspect of the marathon maniacs.  That's a version of a badge/rank/insignia. It seems to be incredibly motivating to some***... and kind of a "sticky" aspect for the club and the website.  Keeps people around.

I say that to say: my kneejerk reaction might have been "this is running, and I already get shirts and medals... do I need electronic badges?"... but the reality has been that it HAS been cool to a great many people.  And, again, "sticky".

Might be kind of fun.

*** there has also been a bit of dark/downside to star collection, but that's a discussion for another time, perhaps.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Stars are great, but implies a single hierarchy.

Badges are cool because you can have all different sorts, and they can still level up (e.g., 5k PR badge, level 3! after you PR a third time).

xor

Sure.  Stars/insignia with an implied hierarchy could be considered a subset of badge-ry, which may or may not imply hierarchy or progression.  Or they could be considered two different things.  Either way.  Some people find this stuff extra cool.

(I will get the "we don't need no steekin badges" joke out of the way up front)

Stars are great, but implies a single hierarchy.

Badges are cool because you can have all different sorts, and they can still level up (e.g., 5k PR badge, level 3! after you PR a third time).

I like the idea of continually levelling up like that, without reference to time. it makes the achievements relative to your own baseline, rather than a universal standard which would make a hierarchical set of achievements.

#artbydmcbride

Can we get 'participation ' badges?  Shy

Runners run

Definitely. I think that would be the basic achievement for most of us...

"run" "2" "eat"

if i earn an award for pestering a large nocturnal weaselesque animal, i get the.....

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

if i earn an award for pestering a large nocturnal weaselesque animal, i get the.....

Trentster?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sure.  Stars/insignia with an implied hierarchy could be considered a subset of badge-ry, which may or may not imply hierarchy or progression.  Or they could be considered two different things.  Either way.  Some people find this stuff extra cool.

Badgery

MrH

Antagonizing Ferret Trophy?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

If you mess with the weasel, you are likely to get popped.

Damn monkeys.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

MTA: Drat. I need to learn to read better:

"run" "2" "eat"

Antagonizing Ferret Trophy?

yes. of course. sorry if this was too obvious.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I would give you a gold star. And a Wink.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!