Everything you've been told about recovery is a lie (Read 227 times)

@rlopez; the book is new, and compounds these things into one referenceable package. This thread is for those noobs who are still following the advices from their jr high PE teacher in the 70's. I haven't read it, but I assume the book does not contain the advice to emulate ostriches, so that would make it legit.

Workout advice for noobs:

1. Move your ass

2. Get swole

3. Find a mirror

4. Do it again

(from my old buddies; singer was actually a standout runner in HS and came to Eugene to run)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEQ8e5zUQzQ&list=PLrV5d0QXfDFcZlg3ladGp_wGD7mLKrv6n&index=2&t=0s

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Seattle prattle

The thing about protein is that many "athletes" supplement with way too much in too big a quantity at one time... just making for very expensive smelly pee.

Our bodies cannot metabolize more than 40 grams of protein in an hour. So if we consume too much of their daily intake at one time, it doesn;t yield the benefits we were targeting.

That sounds simple enough, but gets compounded by how our bodies metabolize it and the fact that different protein sources metabolize at very different rates. A chunk of beef is going to metabolize much slower than the whey protein shake you drink with it. So even though they are consumed at the same time, whey protein gets utilized very quickly but the beef may take hours to break down and digest and be usable. So it's hard to gauge.

Also of interest was that i read that protein absorption from protein powders (shakes) is increased by as much as 30% when taken with a meal. That is big, and one to consider when timing your protein. Also a good time to take it is right before bed becuase so much muscle rejuventation an restoration happend when we sleep, and you won't be consuming proteins during that long break. Likewise, first thing in the morning when you wake...

Putting this into context - some things are more important than others, imo, and protein and diet and nutrition are amongst those. So is sleep and rest. Doing things like icing or foam rolling, probably less so. But you decide.

paul2432

Keep in mind that failure to prove something works is not the same as proving it doesn’t work.

Often sample sizes are too small to generate a statistically significant difference (compared to placebo) especially if the effect is not large.

It is also difficult to control for placebo effect.  Most people know if they are in an ice bath.

rlopez

Our bodies cannot metabolize more than 40 grams of protein in an hour. So if we consume too much of their daily intake at one time, it doesn;t yield the benefits we were targeting.

That sounds simple enough, but gets compounded by how our bodies metabolize it and the fact that different protein sources metabolize at very different rates. A chunk of beef is going to metabolize much slower than the whey protein shake you drink with it. So even though they are consumed at the same time, whey protein gets utilized very quickly but the beef may take hours to break down and digest and be usable. So it's hard to gauge.

Also of interest was that i read that protein absorption from protein powders (shakes) is increased by as much as 30% when taken with a meal. That is big, and one to consider when timing your protein. Also a good time to take it is right before bed becuase so much muscle rejuventation an restoration happend when we sleep, and you won't be consuming proteins during that long break. Likewise, first thing in the morning when you wake...

Putting this into context - some things are more important than others, imo, and protein and diet and nutrition are amongst those. So is sleep and rest. Doing things like icing or foam rolling, probably less so. But you decide.

All I know is most of the people with the expensive smelly pee are the ones pounding the protein shakes.

All I know is most of the people with the expensive smelly pee are the ones pounding the protein shakes.

You're a man of refined taste. As with wine, I can't tell cheap from expensive, but I know what I like.

SMART Approach

I always ask the questions......Why are you icing? Why do your grind your quads on a foam roller? Why are you doing static stretches before your run? Why are you carrying a sports drink  on your 6 mile run?  In most cases when I ask this question the person pauses and usually says...."because its good for me"....."I hear it will help me get better"....."My therapist told me to do it"......"It is what I have always done"......"I read it somewhere it was good to do"......

Truely, we don't know why we do it and I truely beleive we do things that may be detrimental to what we are actually trying accomplish. Do your research and I am into keeping it more simple. What I do know is our body has an amazing ability to self heal. We have acquired this ability over hundreds of thousand of years. You could say we have perfected it over that time but we insist on doing things to disrupt our innate response to stress or injury because we THINK it will help.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Once upon a time, over 100 years ago, "training" involved sunbathing and getting massages between races. Races were the only time you ran. Maybe they were on to something.

There were some outliers who did crazy workouts like running 5 miles when it wasn't even a race, or running with their wife on their shoulders, or my favorite, seeing how far they could run around the track holding their breath. Then some thinker came up with the idea to mimic how race horses were trained. And we've been doing intervals and repeats ever since.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought that was asparagus....

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

rlopez

I thought that was asparagus....

asparagus was cheap in Seattle. Smelly, but cheap.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Well not exactly. I stretch because 4 years ago a physical therapist told me to. IDK who told her that. But I have continued to do so, after every single run, mostly out of habit and superstition. At this point, whether it helps or not is irrelevant.

Same here.  When I had IT band problems, I was prescribed some stretches.  The problems went away.  When I slack off on the stretching, the pain starts to return.  Perhaps stretching in general is unsupported, but for specific issues I'm a believer.  (Yes, using the word "believer" opens me up to placebo debates.)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

PS- Whey protein comes from Milk...

I believe the ratio in milk is 80% casein/20% whey

I really can't think of much that is refined that is better for you than the original whole state source...

Apple vs White Sugar?

Personally believe protein powder is probably causing you more harm than benefit.

short funny story,

a guy on my hockey team, tells me he takes this pre-workout mix drink, I dunno if it has protein or what, but then tells me how it makes his stomach upset,....??

Do your thing but if you have negative side effects from taking something, why would you continue using that product?? because it's good for you!? lol.

PPS- If you must take protein powder, Consider mixing it with MILK! Instead of Water.

300m- 37 sec.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

asparagus was cheap in Seattle. Smelly, but cheap.

Same here, though I gather it's not cheap in most places. I don't know...I don't really care for the stuff, in large part because the pee stink makes me queasy. This is only about an hour from me. Can you imagine the stank in the port-a-jons?!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Keep in mind that failure to prove something works is not the same as proving it doesn’t work.

Often sample sizes are too small to generate a statistically significant difference (compared to placebo) especially if the effect is not large.

It is also difficult to control for placebo effect.  Most people know if they are in an ice bath.

You can probably fool people by using dry ice instead of wet ice in the fake bath; they look pretty similar.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.