Pers. trainers (Read 1007 times)

SMART Approach

Lisa, Curious to know how long you have been running and if you have done any 10Ks or half marathons recently. Sounds like you are in a running club so you probably have a running base and can train for the marathon. When you say you are starting from scratch.....not sure what that means. If you don't have a running base, it is asking a lot to build base while training for a marathon. I don't think that is the way to do. You increase risk of injury, burning out etc. It can be done if you give yourself many months and are just trying to gut it out and just finish (with no concern of time), but for long term growth in running (if that is your goal), it is wise to focus on a 5K/10K race to start or even a half marathon. You need to experience how these feel and also take some time to build up your fitness/base. By doing so, the marathon will probably be a more enjoyable experience later on. Just something to think about. To each their own.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I agree, you don't really need a coach/trainer unless you have these high aspirations of being a super star. Besides, that's one of the advantages of being here, there is a lot of information available and a lot of advice. The problem is, you have to shift through it and determine what is good for you.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

mlv

One time I inquired about hiring a running coach.....when I was told the fee would be 45.00 a hour. Shocked..I quickly became motivated and have been running and walking by myself ever since..... Smile ML..
          One time I inquired about hiring a running coach.....when I was told the fee would be 45.00 a hour. Shocked.. ML..
          $45/HR!!!!!!!!!! What the hell am I wasting my time here then!? Just curious; for $45 an hour, what would they do for you? Seriously, look for some training group in the local area like MDRA in Twin Cities (we ARE non-profit organization). I was just putting together preliminary program for this Beginning Women's Running Class starting April. We usually have about 40 "students" and we have 3 full-time coaches. We divide the group in 3 according to the ability; each coach would run with each group. With 8 classes, we'll talk for an hour with guest speakers each session on various topics (equipment, nutrition, stretching/strength work, physiology, form and a motivational speaker); work out in the second half (it's a 2-hour session) anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes of running plus varous exercises. You get to know people for future reference and running buddy. And, I believe, the whole course is something like $60! I, for one, am very proud of these programs (MDRA has more than this one); this is going to be my 4th year helping them out but we have 100% improvement record (we do a mile time test on the first week and the last week and compare)! Seriously, I know we shouldn't "sell" on these message board but, those of you MN runners, lsMN and all, come join us! If nothing else, at least it's fun to get to know! ;o) PS: Sorry, this class is ladies only! ;o)
          Lisa3.1

Nobby I went there, and it is something that I want to do, but I am in a running program that lasts through april, and with the MDRA running program beginning in the midst of that about to end, I can't do it, and I have unrelated plans in the East Coast after I am through with that program. How often do MDRA have the programs, is it just in the springtime Thanks Lisa
            Lisa3.1

Todd It had been YEARS since I ran. I am just returning to the sport; that's what I meant "starting from scratch". When I used to run, it was for fun, it wasn't for a marathon, and it wasn't nearly as long as I want to now.
                lsMN: They have it quite often. They have 2 marathon training programs for TCM and Grandma's; in other words, through the summer AND early spring--these are more or less serious marathon people. They also have beginning runner class as well as advanced runners class, I believe, in June or July. I've been there as a speaker a couple of times but they usually have 20~30 people; they have a speaker first and then actual run/exercises/drills. Of course, a word "advanced" sometimes can be misleading... ;o) Even though you can't make it to our class, why don't you send me your e-mail address (mine is nobby415@msn.com); I'll send you whatever materials we have to hand out. Like I said, we just got together last weekend (coaches) and talked about putting some literatures together. Mind you; many of the participants of this class are very much "beginner"; I mean, we're talking about people who have "just decided" to run. In the past, we've had a few 8-minute-milers (for a mile time test) to 17-minute-milers (I'm talking about one single mile; not a pace). The one I'm putting together right now actually is a bit of an off-spring from Cool Running's C25K program--I like the concept but I tweaked it a bit (I didn't forget to acknowledge a credit though! ;o)). Another coach is putting together stretching/strength training. So far, for what we know, we are going to have a representative from Marathon Sports (Corey) to talk about equipment (4/9) and a friend of mine who started running late and I believe she ended up running a marathon with her daughter (I think she's in her late 60s now? and still runs) as a motivational speaker on 5/14. If you're interested in those talks, I can get you in for those as my guest! ;o)
                jeffdonahue

I hired a coach this year - as a Christmas present to myself. I want to get my 5K time down under 20 minutes (current PR is 21:00). One thing I like about having a coach is that I find I actually work harder and concentrate on my workout more knowing that I have to report in to somebody. So far so good, I guess. We have a 5K scheduled for end of April to try for my PR. The training seems pretty standard as far as what he gives me to do, and his prices were not bad at all. I think it cost me $125 for a six month PR program. And he is VERY good at getting back to me when I email him questions or to tell him how a workout went. I probably email him every other day for one thing or another and he gets back to me same day every time.
                  Lisa3.1

Nobby Thanks. I sent it.
                    One thing I like about having a coach is that I find I actually work harder and concentrate on my workout more knowing that I have to report in to somebody.
                    That's true, and I agree with that.
                    mlv

$45/HR!!!!!!!!!! What the hell am I wasting my time here then!? Just curious; for $45 an hour, what would they do for you? Seriously, look for some training group in the local area like MDRA in Twin Cities (we ARE non-profit organization). I was just putting together preliminary program for this Beginning Women's Running Class starting April. We usually have about 40 "students" and we have 3 full-time coaches. We divide the group in 3 according to the ability; each coach would run with each group. With 8 classes, we'll talk for an hour with guest speakers each session on various topics (equipment, nutrition, stretching/strength work, physiology, form and a motivational speaker); work out in the second half (it's a 2-hour session) anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes of running plus varous exercises. You get to know people for future reference and running buddy. And, I believe, the whole course is something like $60! I, for one, am very proud of these programs (MDRA has more than this one); this is going to be my 4th year helping them out but we have 100% improvement record (we do a mile time test on the first week and the last week and compare)! Seriously, I know we shouldn't "sell" on these message board but, those of you MN runners, lsMN and all, come join us! If nothing else, at least it's fun to get to know! ;o) PS: Sorry, this class is ladies only! ;o)
                      I found a non-profit group to train with....and NOT at 45.00 a hour !!....no way, was I going to pay that much !! ML..