Good Times Series - Temptation 5K was too funny (Read 471 times)

I run the Tuesday night Good Times 5K series in Lowell MA, and I must say that last night's race was a riot. About a mile into the race, there were 10 cardboard boxes on the ground that you could grab on the way by if you wanted to. The boxes were about twelve inches on each side, so you couldn't really tuck them under your arm. All the boxes had rocks and some inexpensive trinkets like water bottles. One of the boxes contained gift cards worth about $100. At about the second mile, you could opt for a 50 yard detour down an embankment where you could pick up an envelope. Most of the envelopes contained a dollar bill, but one had $100.00 in it. You had to choose your temptation, you couldn't take a box AND an envelope. If you passed on the box, there was no guarantee there would still be an envelope left when you got to the pickup point. It was easy for me to pass up the box, I really wasn't interested in holding a box of rocks out in front of me for two miles. I came VERY close to heading down the embankment for an envelope, and I even slowed down preparing for the detour but passed it up at the very last second. It was really funny to watch runners crossing the finish lugging boxes or clutching envelopes. The series is hosted by a sports bar, and there were some lively conversations on greed and temptation at Hookslide Kelly's after. In keeping with our "will run for beer" motto, a friend used the dollar from his envelope to upgrade his first beer from Bud to Sam Adams. Good times indeed. Smile

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Basically... run!

Hahaha. That sounds like such a fun race! I would have grabbed one of the boxes for sure. Shy And it wouldn't be the first time I've lugged rocks around...

That sounds like so much fun !
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is awesome--totally a race I could get into. Finally I'd have a shot at "winning" in a race! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's a cool idea for a race! Thanks for writing the report.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Great idea for a 5K. Thanks for sharing. I'm impressed you didn't give in to the temptation.
              btb1490

Those offbeat races are a lot of fun! I probably would've opted for the box of rocks, since that's what it feels like I'm carrying when I run anyway. Thanks for the report!
                  Sounds like a fun race! Thanks for sharing!! Big grin