Is this a trend? (Read 241 times)

I guess I can be a study participant.

I haven't run a race since the 1990's.

I never contemplated running a marathon, ever, because I'm a fast twitch guy and a horrible distance runner.

BUT (<big butt), I have contemplated running an ultra in the last year or two.

I still have no desire to run a marathon.

I've run self-supported ultra distances on my own adventure runs in national parks and similar places, but it's not official unless it's a race. I figure if I do a 100-miler at age 55 I won't have to do one ever again, because those will be pretty fluffy laurels to sit on until I die.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

While I have no data to provide, my sense is that the growth of ultras has cut into marathoning some.  My anecdotal information (based on friends who are non-competitive runners) is that those who used to do a marathon for the purpose of impressing others with the distance now lean towards ultras.    And by contrast, those who used to train for marathons for the fitness benefits and post-race medal picture now gravitate towards shorter distances (that award medals).

I'd love to chart the trend of shorter distances awarding medals versus that of marathon participation.

Well looking at the data for total number of marathon finishers - I don't see a decline at all. It looks like steady growth till about 2010. Then basically flat since then, other than a spike in 2013-14. Hmm, did something happen in 2013 that might have inspired more people than usual to decide they wanted to run a marathon?

So I think the question is why has it flattened rather than continuing to grow. Could be due to a growth in ultras. Or could just be saturation of the market - whatever the number of people is represented by the half-million finishes, there may just not be more than that who are stupid enough to do such a thing.

That is a funny comment about shorter races with medals though. I think most of us have seen the explosion just in the last few years - it used to be the exception when a 5k gave medals, now it's more the rule. I am guessing RDs have determined that's what brings the crowds. Those of us here who race for competition and AG awards, and DGAF about medals (or other race day fluff), are in the small minority of participants.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I wonder if timed events are all lumped inn with ultras? I would think for the slower runners, an 8-12 hour event on a non-technical course allows them to get the distance without fear of getting swept off the course.

For the OP, I did what sounds like a similar marathon last year in MD. It has prize money for the top 3, I think, since I would not be anywhere near there, didn't pay attention. It had 250 people. It was also on a crushed limestone trail. No crowds. The Baltimore marathon gets a few thousand people. Costs more, no prize money, less swag, but lots of crowds and post race stuff. I guess the party atmosphere draws out people. Oh, and after many complaints, the Baltimore running festival starting giving out 5k medals a few years ago.

GinnyinPA

HC - our local timed race (6, 12, 24, 48 hour) also has a marathon group. It's small, and as you suggested, they are slow. I imagine they would be lumped in with ultras rather than marathons. For someone who wants to say they completed a marathon but who doesn't think they can do it in 6 hours, it's an option.

Laughlin

That Guy

Hmm, did something happen in 2013 that might have inspired more people than usual to decide they wanted to run a marathon?

Perhaps the  2012 Summer Olympics inspired people to run the following year(s)?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Perhaps the  2012 Summer Olympics inspired people to run the following year(s)?

Possible, but I don't see 2013 as a spike so much as the missing 45,000+ finishers from the cancelled 2012 NYCM.  487k + 45k = 532k and the trend goes back to being pretty linear.

487,000 (NYC Marathon cancelled)

550,600 (Record High)

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Half Crazy K 2.0

DavePNW, I assume you meant the bombing at the Boston marathon triggered interest in 2014?

tahoeblue

Possible, but I don't see 2013 as a spike so much as the missing 45,000+ finishers from the cancelled 2012 NYCM.  487k + 45k = 532k and the trend goes back to being pretty linear.

487,000 (NYC Marathon cancelled)

550,600 (Record High)

With the demise of RWOL, can we expect a massive collapse in the numbers for 2018?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

TB! 

3/17 - NYC Half

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

The biggest race in my area is a 15 miler. I ran it 13 times from 77 to around 91

At its peak it was 1500 this year under 500. But they have added a 5k and a 3 person relay.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

DavePNW, I assume you meant the bombing at the Boston marathon triggered interest in 2014?

Yes that was my theory - remainder of 2013 as well as 2014.

Not sure you can just add 45k to 2012 - presumably some of the NYCM runners found other races. If 15k did, then you're equal to 2011.

Dave

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Not sure you can just add 45k to 2012 - presumably some of the NYCM runners found other races. If 15k did, then you're equal to 2011.

Fair point, but 15k I think would be a stretch.  The event was cancelled 36 hours prior to the start.  ~45% of participants are from outside of the US, so if they ran another marathon in their home country, it wouldn't count in the metric.  About 2,000 did an impromptu marathon in Central Park but it was an unofficial race, thus not added.  Finding another convenient marathon in less than two months of the year in the US would be pretty hard IMO (but not impossible).

In any case, I think the fluctuation of the numbers is due to multiple factors.  I'd think a more scientific study would need to be done to find out which one(s) contribute the most... independently peer reviewed study, of course. 

3/17 - NYC Half

KrisV123

I wonder if warmer temperatures have anything to do with slower times?  My October marathon promised 50s and I got 70s and humid.  It might be my selective memory, but it does seem to be a trend.

I wonder if warmer temperatures have anything to do with slower times?  My October marathon promised 50s and I got 70s and humid.  It might be my selective memory, but it does seem to be a trend.

Trend of warmer temperatures? Whoever heard of such a thing!

Dave

Prince of Fatness

Trend of warmer temperatures? Whoever heard of such a thing!

Al Gore.

Not at it at all.