Strength training (Read 110 times)

Sunflower747

This question has probably been asked a bunch of times before but I couldn't seem to find anything here or find a search function on the forums.

Im about a week and half post marathon and something I have been wanting to work on in my next training cycle is strength training so I have been trying to get a head start before building up mileage.  Sunday I did planks, sit ups, squats, lunges, and the hip machines at the gym, free weights for arms.  I also did 30 min of the stairclimber which was actually a pretty good workout.. I got my heart rate pretty elevated doing the interval setting.  I was thinking it could be good for glutes and hips something runners I've heard need to strengthen.  Today after my morning run I basically did a similar workout at home minus the stairclimber.

Anyway, just wondering what others do.  I'm a little worried about lifting heavy since I want to eventually do a higher weekly mileage marathon plan and want to be able to do my runs. Also I was reading you should do strength training on your hard days and am not sure I'll be able to do that intense of a strength training session.  Do you do strength training?  How many times a week?  What days do you do them (after long run, speed work etc)?  What exercises are good for injury prevention?  What exercises are good for overall improvement in running performance?

Thank you!

paul2432

You'll find that this is a topic where folks (even so-called experts) have a variety of opinions.  You'll hear lots of conflicting advice.  Some like low reps, heavy weight, others like higher reps, lower weight.  Some dismiss strength training entirely (running is the best training for running so the argument goes, run hills to develop strength).

Here is what I do.  Three days/week, on my easy days, I do ~15 minutes of mostly body weight exercises after my run (or sometimes at home after dinner if I didn't have time after the run).  Things like lunges (with dumbells), single leg squats, single leg toe touches (sometimes called single leg dead lifts), push-ups, planks, side planks, etc.

I'm also considering incorporating plyometrics into my strength routine (jumps, hops, box jumps type stuff)

I don't know if any of this helps with injury or makes me faster.  I think it helps, but I don't have any proof.

Marky_Mark_17

I probably have a similar approach to Paul.

Generally I would run 5 days a week, and do weight training 2 days/week.  Key principles I apply to weight training:

1. Keep everything balanced - muscles tend to work in push/pull groups (e.g. quads & hamstrings, chest and back, etc.) so if you work one side, make sure you work the other too.

2. Low resistance, high reps - I personally found that doing high weights at lower reps, on my legs, meant that I was a little sore for a day or two afterwards which may compromise running workouts.

3. Emphasise the core (this has a lot of functional benefits for running e.g. maintaining when fatigued)

Day 1: upper body: DB bench press, chin-ups, standing shoulder press, tricep overhead extn, bicep curls.  Typically 3-4 sets x 12 reps.

To be honest the arm exercises have zero functional value for running, but I kinda enjoy them.

Day 2: lower body: squats, deadlifts, calf raises, lunges, pistol squats, single-leg deadlifts, etc.  3-4 sets x 12 reps (less for the pistol squats which are HARD!).

Both days - plus typically also on 1-2 light running days each week - core workout, including a mixture of core exercises to target both the abdominals and obliques, and the oft-neglected lower back (e.g. lower back extensions or planks).

Like Paul I have no evidence to prove whether or not it makes a difference but it's hard to fault the logic that having a strong core and strong leg muscles, up to a point, should reduce the risk of biomechanical imbalance and/or injury.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Half Crazy K 2.0

I try to do lower body after a hard run. It probably hurts the strength training a bit, but I've been trying to follow hard days hard, easy days easy. I'll do upper body and core after easy runs or days I don't run. I have a huge exercise DVD collection, so I just pop in whatever I feel like doing.

kramrunner

Check out the vid Jordan Hasay posted the week before Chicago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZeCdMRH_Vf/?hl=en&taken-by=jordanhasay

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

My $.02.

I'm not sure how much general strength helps w/ injury prevention, but addressing relative weaknesses or imbalance is really important. Moreover, strength and mobility become increasingly important as you age.

That said, I view this (strength work) as adding spices to a recipe: a little goes a long way and it won't fix a 'meal' made w/ bad 'ingredients' -- in this case, a lack of good solid mileage. Put another way, make sure the strength work is a supplement to your running and not a substitute.

I've tried many, many things over the years; what works best is something you enjoy doing and will do consistently. Almost doesn't matter if it's yoga, or some form of cross training, or set routines, or whatever.

I've also tried doing a little something almost every day and a good solid effort 1-2 times per week. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

The key to success is being able to do your workouts and recover properly. In a perfect world, you'd do strength work after hard workouts (on the same day), but few of us can train like pros do!

Some things I'd recommend:

Nike Oregon Project Strength Routine

Rebecca Pacheco's Yoga for Runners DVD

Jay Johnson's SAM (Strength and Mobility) series

Jay Cardiello's 10-Minute Cross-Training for Runners DVD

The Dynamix routine from Tony Horton's P90X3

Sunflower747

Thanks so much for the feedback!  I checked out the links you listed and they all look really great.  Just what I have been trying to find.   I'm definitely going to try them out!  I also really liked the spice analogy.. that definitely makes sense!  Thanks again!!!!!

My $.02.

I'm not sure how much general strength helps w/ injury prevention, but addressing relative weaknesses or imbalance is really important. Moreover, strength and mobility become increasingly important as you age.

That said, I view this (strength work) as adding spices to a recipe: a little goes a long way and it won't fix a 'meal' made w/ bad 'ingredients' -- in this case, a lack of good solid mileage. Put another way, make sure the strength work is a supplement to your running and not a substitute.

I've tried many, many things over the years; what works best is something you enjoy doing and will do consistently. Almost doesn't matter if it's yoga, or some form of cross training, or set routines, or whatever.

I've also tried doing a little something almost every day and a good solid effort 1-2 times per week. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

The key to success is being able to do your workouts and recover properly. In a perfect world, you'd do strength work after hard workouts (on the same day), but few of us can train like pros do!

Sunflower747

Just a follow up question for the p90x video..can you just buy the dynamix one or do you have to buy the entire set?  I have never done p90x before.. it looks like you have to buy the whole set?  Did you have a favorite stregth plan of the ones you have listed?

My $.02.

You would have to buy the entire series, which has some other worthwhile routines (Isometrix, Complex and Eccentric legs, pilates, agility X), unless you could find someone who already has it. Or some bootleg (NOT that I'd endorse that in any way ).

My 'favorite' constantly changes. I find it's easy to get stuck in a routine or do too much of something (b/c it's familiar, comfortable, etc.). I really try and listen to my body and figure out what I need or have been neglecting. That said, I think the routines from both of the Jays are comprehensive.

Half Crazy K 2.0

For P90X, often there are Black Friday sales.

I just got a 6 DVD pack from Amazon called Triple Threat Running: Runners workout program. It's fairly simple, but all are short workouts, like only 1 is longer than 20 minutes and they do a decent job hitting everything.