Forget the ice water baths? (Read 696 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Case report from a 19 yo football player with exertional rhabdo after an ice bath, note the conclusions (I'm not sure I agree with the conclusions, btw)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22488291

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

It is kind of moronic to make those conclusions from a single case study.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It is kind of moronic to make those conclusions from a single case study.

Don't you mean "moranic"?
        bhearn

I must be missing something... there are various reasons for using an ice bath after hard training, but that wouldn't be expected to have any relation to rhabdo, would it? If your muscles are damaged and leaking myoglobin, then they are damaged and leaking myoglobin. An ice bath is not going to fix that (or cause it).

Feeling the growl again

I must be missing something... there are various reasons for using an ice bath after hard training, but that wouldn't be expected to have any relation to rhabdo, would it? If your muscles are damaged and leaking myoglobin, then they are damaged and leaking myoglobin. An ice bath is not going to fix that (or cause it).

Yup.  We used to use ice baths in college, but I don't recall stopping acute muscle breakdown having anything to do with it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Queen of 3rd Place

This is what I was thinking - it seems the authors are implying that the ice bath somehow caused or at least exacerbated the rhabdo, and that just didn't make sense to me.

Ex runner