Garmin Forerunner 205 makes my computer crash (Read 725 times)

Gig

It isn't every time, but occasionally when I put my Garmin in its cradle, or when I remove it, my computer goes instantly to the blue screen of death. Then I try it again after rebooting, and it works fine. Any thoughts. I'm using Windows 7, btw.

Thanks!

Gig

Also, where can I get a replacement watch band doohickey? (The thing that keeps the end of the strap from sticking out.)

eric :)

Try uninstalling the Garmin Communicator and the driver, reboot the computer and installing them again, possibly the latest versions.  The crash is caused by Garmin's software not behaving/configured properly.

I found that this happened a lot when the watch was making a poor connection to the computer (i.e, I had a flaky USB cable).  Try swapping USB cables or plugging into a different port.

I had the same problem with my 305. I tried all the suggestions above and more without any luck. It's been a while since my computer has crashed though... could be some windows update? The only thing I make sure is to put the watch in the holder first and make sure it's properly secured before plugging in the USB... not that I think that's making any difference but it has become a habit now.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

jason-b

Go get the latest drivers from the Garmin site. I had this happen to me all the time, Win 7 64 bit. I'd plug in the Garmin (305) and would randomly get a BSOD. Since updating to the latest drivers several months ago I haven't had it happen a single time. They were last updated in May of 2012. This should fix it for ya. 

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

buy a Mac.

For all computer related challenges, I've found that this works best.  I'm nearly a 100% convert now.  Life is less frustrating.  

(Until then, follow the advice of others)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Hoban-Jay

It isn't every time, but occasionally when I put my Garmin in its cradle, or when I remove it, my computer goes instantly to the blue screen of death. Then I try it again after rebooting, and it works fine. Any thoughts. I'm using Windows 7, btw.

Thanks!

Perhaps the problem is not with your GPS but with your operating system.  My solution, for you is to switch to Linux.  Macs are certainly good too, but ANYTHING and EVERYTHING concerning a Mac is so expensive.