Calf pain (Read 6939 times)

Last week I took an injury in my calf that just won’t seem to let me go. The pain seems to be on the outside of my calf, but midway down between my knee and my ankle. I say “seems” because it’s actually hard to pinpoint (sometimes it feels like the ankle). It’s not tender to the touch, and stretches don't hurt a bit. I just have a hard time walking and running is almost agony. It's worst when I push off on my toes. I’ve got 15 weeks until my first marathon and I’d hate to lose any more training time. I’ve already taken a week off. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Remedies? Also, how detrimental to my training is taking another “injury week” going to be?
    ashares

ok, i started to have calf pain during the XC season. I used heat rather than Ice (think long soaks in a hot bathtub) also, do ur shoes have alotta miles on 'em? thats another thing that hurt my legs. replace them if they have more than 400 miles or so. good luck with the marathon training!!! remember, its better to take a week or two off now than be out for a month with a major injury. AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Manchild

Buck, I have had calf injuries before and they really s@%&!! Mine were brought on, I believe, by having other issues that made me run mechanically differently. Either a back or a bad toe or other slight tweaks made me run differently. It took me awhile to get through the calf injuries but what really helped was "the stick". By rolling it over the calf area it broke up the scar tissue and loosened it up. I was able to run Nashville in 2006 because of "the stick". Good luck and happy new year! Chris
        VictorN

Are you sure it is your calf and not something deeper in your leg? I don't want to be an alarmist, but calf injuries usually do involve some tenderness to the touch or soreness when stretching. If the pain doesn't go away after a few days of rest, you may want to go and see a professional. Victor
            Last week I took an injury in my calf that just won’t seem to let me go. The pain seems to be on the outside of my calf, but midway down between my knee and my ankle. I say “seems” because it’s actually hard to pinpoint (sometimes it feels like the ankle). It’s not tender to the touch, and stretches don't hurt a bit. I just have a hard time walking and running is almost agony. It's worst when I push off on my toes. I’ve got 15 weeks until my first marathon and I’d hate to lose any more training time. I’ve already taken a week off. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Remedies? Also, how detrimental to my training is taking another “injury week” going to be?
            If it's on the outside of your calf and ankle, it could be the peroneal muscles and/or tendons as well. I've had injuries in this area twice (painful, knotted-up peroneal muscles, and tendonitis in the peroneal tendons in the foot and ankle). The key for me was massaging the peroneal muscles (with a rolling pin Big grin), and rest for the tendonitis.
              Okay...It's been 2 weeks since my injury and I still can't shake the pain. I was cross training (recumbent bike) for a while but I've lain off completely for a week and I'm still hurt. Now, it feels like the pain is deeper and radiating up above the knee. Luckily, the intensity HAS subsided a bit. I'm making a Dr's appt. tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas? This is really stressing me out. Training has been a huge part of my life over the past year. Now, I'm petrified that I'm going to re-injure myself. TICK-TOCK!!