800m advice (Read 113 times)

Village people

This is for my middle school son. He is a middle of the pack runner but is pretty motivated to do better. I don't know what advice to give him. He may never be a track star but I love the atmosphere of the program and running will help him in any sport he chooses or maybe just start him loving running. He is just driven.

At his last meet he finished 2:53, a personal best. I watched him lay back while others pulled ahead of him, some too far for him to ever catch. He passed 8 kids on the final stretch. His pace is pretty consistent for 3/4 of the race.

The track team is huge and personal coaching is limited. They do their best but I would like some

advice for him.

What advice would you give him if he was your son? Run faster?

Thanks

CMJHawk86

I'm a HS distance track coach. 2:53 is a pretty solid time for a middle school kid, even if there are some prodigies ahead of him in the pack. My suspicion here is you've really got a future HS miler or two-miler on your hands. Keep in mind as well, he's still growing into his body. Just because those other kids are ahead of him now doesn't mean he won't catch up.

As for getting better now, part of it is yes, getting out of the 800 start faster, perhaps aiming for a certain 400 split. He might also need to try some shorter races like the 400 to get experience running fast right off the start. That would give him an idea of what type of 400 split he is capable of running in an 800.

800 is a tough race. A distance event but kind of a sprint, too. Possibly the toughest track race of them all. So you really have to combine sprint and speed training with more traditional distance training. The website trackstarusa.com has some sample workouts he can do that focus on each component of the 800.

As a coach let me say I love working with kids who have potential and come in motivated to be the best they can be. Good luck!

Village people

Thanks so much for the advice. I will pass it along to him.

This is for my middle school son. He is a middle of the pack runner but is pretty motivated to do better. I don't know what advice to give him. He may never be a track star but I love the atmosphere of the program and running will help him in any sport he chooses or maybe just start him loving running. He is just driven.

At his last meet he finished 2:53, a personal best. I watched him lay back while others pulled ahead of him, some too far for him to ever catch. He passed 8 kids on the final stretch. His pace is pretty consistent for 3/4 of the race.

The track team is huge and personal coaching is limited. They do their best but I would like some

advice for him.

Thanks

I would have him experiment with some race strategies.  Has he ever tried going to the front?  Does he like to sit back and kick?  Can he sit back a little less and still kick?

Times are a fun measuring stick, but I think having him compete and finding out how he likes to run will be better for him in the long run.  He'll a few races in his future, so let him discover racing.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Tiefsa

advice for him.

Thanks

From what you describe, it sounds like he has a natural instinct for pacing and smart racing.  At the middle school age, most kids go out really hard and then pay the price towards the end, which is when your son is eating them up.  I wouldn't stress him pushing it early.  If anything, maybe tell him to make a bit of a push after the end of the first lap.

The other thing to try and do is not suck the fun out of running early.  I see that happen with a lot of kids in middle school in many sports.  Just enjoy it and the main thing is to repeat this phrase after each race.  "I love watching you run."  The results are secondary.  The real joy is just being able watching him test his abilities.  P.S. I'm a middle school teacher if you couldn't tell.

Village people

From what you describe, it sounds like he has a natural instinct for pacing and smart racing.  At the middle school age, most kids go out really hard and then pay the price towards the end, which is when your son is eating them up.  I wouldn't stress him pushing it early.  If anything, maybe tell him to make a bit of a push after the end of the first lap.

The other thing to try and do is not suck the fun out of running early.  I see that happen with a lot of kids in middle school in many sports.  Just enjoy it and the main thing is to repeat this phrase after each race.  "I love watching you run."  The results are secondary.  The real joy is just being able watching him test his abilities.  P.S. I'm a middle school teacher if you couldn't tell.

More great advice. Thank you. I have been trying to keep my mouth shut but I just love seeing him work on bettering his personal performance.  He ran the 400m last year and he said that it was the hardest thing that he has ever done. This from a kid who plays multiple sports. I do love watching him run. Thank you.

Bubbaheimer16

Just don't let him get discouraged about not being the fastest out there now. I was the same way when I was his age, off season training helps a lot, but don't make it to much of a thing where he will start hating it.  Weight room will help. Strategy wise my coach always taught me to pace the first lap and to make my move during the 3rd 200 of the race the last 200 will be another kick fueled by adrenaline and that off season work.

Like I said i was the same way when I was his age, mid pack runner(3:06 was my best then), then when I got to high school I grew a lot lifted a lot and ended my high school career with a 2:01.  The work you do on the off season separates you from everyone else, but remember that there is a whole lot of other things to life besides running.

-From a fellow multi-sport athlete