recovery runs (Read 534 times)

PDoe

This winter I read "Brain Training for Runners" and, although I disagree with many points, one thing that seemed to make sense was taking a 'recovery run' the day after a race so that the legs get accustomed to running while tired. I only started running competitively two years ago and always took a rest day after a race. So my question to anybody is - What type of pace and distance does anybody else do for a 'recovery run'? TIA.

Bruno

Hey Soxfan, SLOW. When I run a recovery run I keep it to no more than 4 miles and about 1:30 to 2 minutes slower than my race pace. GO SOX-Dice-K looked erratic last night Big grin B
        I never really paid much attention to what pace I run after a race but it is definitely slow. Normally there are enough things hurting that a slow, easy pace is pretty much mandatory. The idea is to just do enough to get an increased blood flow in the muscles to promote healing. Tom
          Depends on the race. For 5K's I'll usually go right back to my schedule (usually long run) I'll usually take the first half of it slower than normal though. ½ marathon, I usually try to do 5-8km easy the next day. I havn't yet done a marathon, but I might be talked into a day off after one Wink