How dare they? (Read 1275 times)

How dare they? I run every morning in the heat and have planned my route according to a specific sprinkler timeline. I know when certain lawn sprinklers come on, change cycles, and others begin. It works out pretty well. Just when I'm about to faint from heatstroke, I run thru a sprinkler sent directly to me from above. Then one morning I find to my chagrin that they are not set to operate at the usual time. What are these people thinking? I have become accustomed to a refreshing splash at specific points in my run. Just because someone may have allegedly gone on vacation gives them no right to deny me my refreshment! Or, someone may have gone thru some difficult economic times and may have found it necessary to cut back on the watering. Well, again I say, How dare they? My needs are more important than someone else's vacation or budget. Turn that water back on!! Runners unite!
    DanMoriarity

I know!! The nerve of some people. It's the same in my neighbourhood, the hotter the day, the fewer people leave their sprinklers running. Just plain rude if you ask me ... Wink

ymmv

perhaps you sweated into the rain gauge that determines whether the sprinkler needs to run today or not.

Our county is on the verge of a watering ban...right now the water co. is just politely requesting you don't water your lawn, but soon it will be forbidden.  That will be a sad day for the runners in my neighborhood.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I totally planned my only pathetic run all week around when a bank in town runs their sprinklers...and they weren't on!  Dammit, don't they know that running through those is the highlight of my miles?!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ymmv

I totally planned my only pathetic run all week around when a bank in town runs their sprinklers...and they weren't on!  Dammit, don't they know that running through those is the highlight of my miles?!

I'm feelin kinda sorry for the would-be spectators, too

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Two weeks ago  I considered running in the sprinklers at the college. Decided not to do it . 5 AM. 76 F. Full moon was a blazin.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JML

I found myself on my hands and knees sticking my head in front of the spray from an in-ground sprinkler on the Hudson Greenway yesterday.  I had no idea that they would be watering during my run but it was absolute bliss in the middle of a tempo run.  The other runners in the area nodded approvingly while the dog walkers gave me a wide berth.  

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

The Runner Life

I'm lucky enough to live near a golf course community, which is excellent for having frequent sprinklers to run through.  Just need to make sure they don't see me running through the edge of their yard!

I don't rely on sprinklers on hot days.  If I see one I'll use it.  I even ask people I see watering their lawn to spray me, most are uncooperative.  What's crucial on the hot days though is that I bring a bottle of ice cold water or Gatorade, Powerade, etc. with me. 

JML, you are funny! I can just imagine!
                          I'd have thought people would be happy to spray you as you pass by. I never miss an opportunity when dared by my kids

Hoodoo Guru

Was in Florida two weeks ago and was running toward a school that had a series of sprinklers on the grass fronting the street.  As I gleefully approached, they all shut off in sequence about 100 feet before I got to each one.  I hope it was due to automatic timers and not some sadistic groundskeeper messing with me.

The tangents are moot.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Was in Florida two weeks ago and was running toward a school that had a series of sprinklers on the grass fronting the street.  As I gleefully approached, they all shut off in sequence about 100 feet before I got to each one.  I hope it was due to automatic timers and not some sadistic groundskeeper messing with me.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay