ACUA 5k (Atlantic County Utilities Authority 5k or as I will now call it, the dump run) race report. (Read 464 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

First off let me say that the ACUA runs a quality race. When I went to pick up my number and t-shirt, not only did they have the size that I requested, but my race number was already pinned to it. The volunteers were very enthusiastic and helpful. Plus, I got to drive through the recycling building on the way to the start. All good things. Too bad only 54 runners showed up today (of course it was raining at 8:00 am, but by the time the race started at 9:00 am the skies had cleared, well not so much. But at least the rained stopped.) The course was interesting. We were running around the dump for Atlantic County. I did not entirely realize that literally, we were running up the garbage dump hill, into the woods, and back (out and back course). When we lined up to start, the woman next to me told me that last year it was hot when they ran the race and she had to stop to vomit from the fumes. Not a good omen to say the least. But today was cool and drizzly, so I hoped it wouldn't smell too bad. We started on an uphill, which for this part of NJ is a rarity. Since I'm used to hills (thank you Nashville), I was the first woman for the first 1/2 mile. Then it got flat, and I got passed. Then it got hilly, and I passed people. Then it got smelly, and I slowed down. Then all of a sudden, we turned and were runnining in mud. No one told me about that surprise. It slowed me down a bit, but soon enough I was at the turnaround point and heading back. I managed to finish first in my age group (30-39), which was nice with a time of 24:59. I don't know how many other women were in my age group, but I know there was at least one. And I finished 27/54 overall. Not bad. I, however, was awarded the best prize that I've ever gotten at a race (not garbage): A $40 gift certificate to an italian restaurant in AC. I think I'm eating my first post-Passover meal there tonight! Whoa hoa! I hope to see some of you guys there next year!

Bring it on.

Jill_B

I fly.

I should also have pointed out that if you pre-registered, the race was $10! (Talk about a deal!)

Bring it on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, that's awesome...well, except for the fumes part! A GC is a great race prize! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

This race report is cracking me up!! Big grin Big grin Out and back through a NJ dump...so funny!! Great job on your first place finish in your age group! You can be very proud of that!! And great report - thanks for sharing. Big grin
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Jill! What an "interesting" race! I'm glad it wasn't hot. Eww!
            trojancinephile

Congrats on the prize! Definitely fortuitous that the race was scheduled for the last day of Passover. I can't get over that you ran through a dump -- hilarious.