What would you do? (Read 213 times)

BigDaddyJoe

Just to update, I wasn't able to run or get to a treadmill on Saturday or Sunday.  I did 5 miles this morning, a scheduled rest day.  The roads weren't the best.  I wasn't really worried about my footing, was more worried about cars slipping.  Luckily, there weren't many cars on the roads I ran on.  I found that the roads that weren't plowed all the way down to bare road were actually the safest.  The thin layer of snow was better to run on than the bare roads where ice could form.  I am going to stick with my Tuesday Wednesday Thursday schedule this week.  I might actually add a mile or so on to each day.  It won't exactly make up for the missed long run on Saturday, but will increase my weekly/monthly totals.  Then do my next long run, a 10-miler, next Saturday.  I don't think this will set me back too much, if any.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

an amazing likeness

BDJ -- keep in mind that it's a Training Plan, not a Training Requirement. Executing the plan to perfection does not guarantee you'll have a perfect race day, and also, having to alter the plan to reality does not guarantee you'll have a poor race day.

Keep the pattern of the plan, run the miles you can given the reality of each day, and get back on track as soon as possible...that's all you can do.

As an aside -- be careful on loose snow, with the bad toe-off traction it's really easy to damage a hamstring.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BigDaddyJoe

BDJ -- keep in mind that it's a Training Plan, not a Training Requirement. Executing the plan to perfection does not guarantee you'll have a perfect race day, and also, having to alter the plan to reality does not guarantee you'll have a poor race day.

Keep the pattern of the plan, run the miles you can given the reality of each day, and get back on track as soon as possible...that's all you can do.

As an aside -- be careful on loose snow, with the bad toe-off traction it's really easy to damage a hamstring.

Thanks, that's really good advice.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.