Which long running TV shows never "jumped the shark"? (Read 334 times)

DollarBill

Meet the Press when David Gregory became host.

Sorry abou that,  I missed the key word, "never".  My bad.

an amazing likeness

Just curious:  which long running (5 seasons or more) now canceled television shows do you feel never jumped the shark?

Hmmm....by definition (almost)...cancelled shows don't go out leaving you wanted more.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AnneCA

Survivor hasn't jumped the shark yet.

I disagree with this, to the extent they’ve embraced “villains,” bringing back folks like the Hantzes, Phillip, and Coach.  Although then there are the “audience favorite” type polls that suggest my dislike of players who want drama more than anything, and the show’s encouragement of that, is not shared by all.  Although Brandon’s meltdown might have been a lesson, Probst seemed to think it was great TV.  Ugh.  And, seriously, Phillip?   Their stunt casting of folks like Jimmy Johnson and Lisa Welchel has worked out better. 

Now resuming hidden mode on my Survivor geekery.

Chris T

The Wire. Still.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Love X-files, but not post Duchovny. They hung on too long.

I really wanted to still love TXF after Mulder/Scully were no longer the primary characters, but I couldn't do it.  I still had a hard time not seeing Daggett as the T2000 (even though he has really proven himself as a non-creepy actor in many subsequent roles).  Even the Lone Gunmen couldn't save the last couple seasons.

Another interesting thread would be shows that never got a chance to jump the shark.  Firefly would be my #1 pick.  FOX fubar'd that by not even playing the episodes in order.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

The Wire

Deadwood

Justified (not canceled but still)

Seinfeld (came close but rebounded)

The Simpsons (unbelievably strong after all these years, and not canceled)

Lucy (Fred Mertz still cracks me up)

OTOH, Duck Dynasty has already done it with the "RV" episode (the only one I've watched) and their omnipresence on TV the last few days.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, ooh...duh, how did I not think of this one, since my 12 year old is friggin' OBSESSED!:

Doctor Who

That show is celebrating its 50th birthday really soon.  There were a few years without episodes, but the last 3 doctors have been really successful and are fun to watch.  I'm looking forward to the new Peter Capaldi doc.  And it's fun to go back and watch #s 4 and 5, who were around when I was a kid.  Man, those old episodes are SO awful and cheesy, even for the 80s!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Docket_Rocket

When I posted, it was before the first post was amended, so I would keep only Cheers, Sopranos, and Deadwood instead of the ones I included there.

I loved Deadwood.  I was sad when they canceled it.

The Wire

Deadwood

Justified (not canceled but still)

Seinfeld (came close but rebounded)

The Simpsons (unbelievably strong after all these years, and not canceled)

Lucy (Fred Mertz still cracks me up)

OTOH, Duck Dynasty has already done it with the "RV" episode (the only one I've watched) and their omnipresence on TV the last few days.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Will run for scenery.

[scrubs]

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Menace to Sobriety

I loved Deadwood.  I was sad when they canceled it.

Loved the show, but it had to be the weirdest ending of all time. The whole season was a build up to some cataclysmic confrontation with Hearst and then they just rode out of town.....The End ??

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Docket_Rocket

Loved the show, but it had to be the weirdest ending of all time. The whole season was a build up to some cataclysmic confrontation with Hearst and then they just rode out of town.....The End ??

I assumed that they expected a third season but it never happened?  That was the least dramatic ending of all time!

My favorite word after watching the show: Cocksucker.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Capt Awesome

Hmmm....by definition (almost)...cancelled shows don't go out leaving you wanted more.

Cancelled shows I've wanted more of:

My So Called Life

Undeclared

Freaks & Geeks

Arrested Development (though when we finally got more it was underwhelming)

Jericho

Carnivale (absurd that this was cancelled after 2 stellar seasons)

Not dead. Yet.

Cancelled shows I've wanted more of:

Thats not what "jumped the shark" means.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I assumed that they expected a third season but it never happened?  That was the least dramatic ending of all time!

My favorite word after watching the show: Cocksucker.

I would have married Calamity Jane just  so I could listen to her cuss me.  Profanity has never been more poetic and elegant.

Runner with a riding problem.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

DW  thinks Judging Amy

"Just curious:  which long running (5 seasons or more) now canceled television shows do you feel never jumped the shark?"

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/