Running cross country with diabetes (Read 44 times)

Village people

Hi, does anyone have experience with this? My friend’s ten year old son is running cross country this year and while he has learned to manage things in the classroom, he is still working on managing it during sports. Cross country is a bit of a challenge. His mom could monitor him during swim and on the soccer field but he is off running on trails so he is kind of on his own. Anyone ever deal with this?

jeffdonahue

I imagine at 10 years old it would be like my daughter's 5th grade cross country and they would be running about a mile and a half.  Given that, he wouldn't really be gone for that long.  As long as he checks his sugar prior to the race and it isn't too low he should be fine for the race.

My daughter was diagnosed when she was 7 (she is 22 now) and has led a fully active life - soccer, cross country, basketball, track, swimming and diabetes has never held her back from any of it.  Typically before exercise (at least something like a race or soccer game) she would eat a little something with carbs and protein to get her sugar a bit higher than normal which would hold her over through the activity.  She would keep glucose tabs on her in a baggie for extended exertion (7 mile race she did last weekend) just in case.

Exercise tends to make her sugar drop by the end, so make sure there is something for him to have to bring it back up when they check his sugar after the race.

Hope this helps

Village people

It does, thank you. He was diagnosed at seven, too. It seems that each sport had a learning curve.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My sons friend was diagnosed around 5,

they were on the same soccer team all through grade school.

he wore a pump,

his dad was a doctor.

i don’t remember it being that big of an issue ,

he is 26 now

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Village people

My sons friend was diagnosed around 5,

they were on the same soccer team all through grade school.

he were a pump,

his dad was a doctor.

i don’t remember it being that big of an issue ,

he is 26 now

Tom, I don’t think it really will be an issue. At soccer she can be right there but he is out of view for a bit during cross country. I think she just worries.