First attempt at a marathon! (Read 1035 times)

Hey runner, good luck with the marathon. You're running it this afternoon? On a one-mile loop? That sounds absolutely crazy. How's the overall training going on your 4:30 mile and your eventual 4:00 mile? If you are running marathons as training runs in less than four hours, I'd think you have to be feeling pretty good.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

HOSS1961

Hmmm...shoes and beer? I'm thinking...have a 16 miler planned for in a little bit, but maybe I, too, should go 10.2 miles further. I mean, shoes...and BEER! Big grin
      Just bought shoes a month ago and I buy beer...well... weekly. It is very good in the afternooon after a lonng run. Hell...eating and drinking is one of the reasons I run. Big grin Zoomie...I see you have your 15k PR struck out...what gives?
      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomie...I see you have your 15k PR struck out...what gives?
        I got it last month...though I am going for an even better PR in that distance in June--on a course with minimal hills and no snow! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HOSS1961

I got it last month...though I am going for an even better PR in that distance in June--on a course with minimal hills and no snow! Big grin
          Great job. I PR'd that distance a coule of weeks ago by 3.5 minutes. This strength training thing I am doing appears to be paying off. I guess June in your part of the woods is a great PR opportunity...it gets a little warm in VA. Sound like you will smoke that PR in a matter of months.
          HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

Just Be

Hey runner, good luck with the marathon. You're running it this afternoon? On a one-mile loop? That sounds absolutely crazy.
            I really want to get through it. I'll let you all know what happens. Big grin I doubt I'll stay on the 1 mile loop, we'll see what happens - I don't really know what I want to use as a route, like I said a post ago, I'll just play it by ear.
            How's the overall training going on your 4:30 mile and your eventual 4:00 mile? If you are running marathons as training runs in less than four hours, I'd think you have to be feeling pretty good.
            Training is going well so far. The main reason I'm considering doing a marathon is because I wanted to break 200 miles this month, and I have to run another 25 today in order to do that, so I figured I'd just run a marathon to see what it'll be like to run for that amount of time at a pretty easy pace. I'm coming off of base in May after a brief recovery from the 80+ mile week I put myself through last week and (if I succeed in running it) the marathon. I'm excited about starting a regimen of higher intensity workouts! BTW, I broke the 5 minute mile on March 27th, with a time of 4:56. Smile Haven't tried for a PR since then, although I did run a half marathon during a training run in 1 hour and 28 minutes on April 21st.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great job. I PR'd that distance a coule of weeks ago by 3.5 minutes. This strength training thing I am doing appears to be paying off. I guess June in your part of the woods is a great PR opportunity...it gets a little warm in VA. Sound like you will smoke that PR in a matter of months.
              I hope so! First time I ran the 15k (at that June race) the miles weren't marked well and I took it too easy. That was the shining moment when I really saw the Garmin as a need, rather than merely a want. My recent PR was on a MUCH tougher course and under substantially more difficult conditions. I even placed 3rd in my AG (out of 7...we were a pokey bunch, heh). The June race should be a breeze to PR. Big grin Strength training is good stuff. I am going to do more as I train for my marathon. I know my knees and core get tired as I increase the length of my long runs, so making those support muscles stronger should make me a better, happier runner overall. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Future running partner.

Hello all! I start training for my first marathon in about 2 weeks. Probably will be the Baltimore. Then followed by a second marathon at either MC or Raleigh City of Oaks. I think I will run Baltimore to finish as a goal. Then run the second for time.

Just Be

I was thinking of the Baltimore marathon as a possible marathon to run also. Maybe we'll see each other there! Big grin
                    Thanks for the warning. I totally agree with you. Sarcasm is difficult to convey in semantics, but that's what the haha was for. I guess I could have used one of the tongue similes. Big grin And, CarmelRunner, I'll be on a 1 mile loop course in my neighborhood so if I have an "Oh god I have to stop now" moment, walking back isn't much of an issue. Smile
                    Sounds just like the Last Chance for Boston course, where arneparne earned his Boston bib with 26.2 laps. Welcome to the "Last Chance for Boston" Marathon! If you REALLY want to run the Boston Marathon in 2008 ... here's your LAST CHANCE! Or, if you are looking for a Winter marathon, you're in the right spot! Held in Dublin, Ohio, a northwest suburb of Columbus, our 1 mile loop course offers a very spectator friendly race environment, with 26 fluid/support stations! Other "Last Chance for Boston" events include unique team relays, a 1/2 marathon, 5K and 10K!! Don't let all of your hard work go un-rewarded — give Boston one more try ..... on a flat, fast, loop course in the heart of Dublin. After you qualify, we'll even hand-deliver your Boston application to the Post Office! Best of luck to you runner.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Just Be

Hi again, all. Smile Well, at mile 4 my right leg started feeling wrong and I was just generally tired. I tried to tough it out for awhile and made it to around mile 6. At that point I decided to stop since I felt like if I didn't, I might bench myself for a few days due to minor injury. I had left the neighborhood and gone to the local high school track so I was about 3 miles out... ran the whole way back at a 10:00/mile pace and my legs started to feel a bit better by the time I returned so I ran another mile but then decided to call off the run even though I was feeling a little better. I haven't uploaded the run yet, but I'd guess my average pace was right around a 9:00 mile. First attempt at a marathon: failed. Sad Yesterday marked the end of my base building phase, so I probably won't attempt another marathon until the fall.
                        Good call. For me, the toughest part of running is figuring out when to HTFU (through discomfort) and when to break it off (due to intense pain/injury). My rule of thumb is when in doubt, call it a day.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Sorry to hear that! Well, I give you props for attempting it. I won't be trying that for a while. Good luck with the shorter distance goal of 4 mins!! That'll be sweet. Keep it up, Mike

~Mike

Another Passion

Good call. For me, the toughest part of running is figuring out when to HTFU (through discomfort) and when to break it off (due to intense pain/injury). My rule of thumb is when in doubt, call it a day.
                            I'm still working on that one myself, Ed. Roll eyes

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com