How long is "long?" (aka "How soon we forget!") (Read 915 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Just for kicks, I was going through my list of workouts tonight. I sorted by type and found "long" because I thought I'd look at how my times were for long runs. Something jumped out at me right away - I had some 3 and 4 mile runs typed as "long." Huh? I'd just gotten back from a long run of a little over 9 miles today. I'd meant it to be 10 miles, but... um... I got lost and ended up running a different route. Wink ANYWAY, that seems "long" to me right now. A part of me knows that other people call 15 or 20 mile runs long, but 9 - 10 is "long" to me. And 3 or 4 is short! But here are these entries, clearly labeled "long" that have distances of 3 and 4 miles on them! I look at the dates. April... May... Oh. Was that really "long" back then? I think it was... but it's really kinda fuzzy! So, in the last 6 months, not only have my "long" runs gotten significantly longer, my whole definition of what is "long" and what is "short" has changed. I haven't really gotten any faster, but I sure run a lot more! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Back in June my "long" runs were 5 miles...now they've progressed to 13. Pretty much I categorize my longest run each week as my long run--funny how relative that is, LOL! After the HM my "long" runs will probably go back to 10-12 miles/run. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

It works the other way too - as in, how short is too short to be worth it. A couple years ago, 3 miles was about all I ran. Nowadays, if I only have time for 3-4 miles, it's hard to get motivated cuz it doesn't seem like I'm even doing anything. Another of those c-team happy moments. Improvement comes so easy. It's going to be sorta sad when that eventually stops happening.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It works the other way too - as in, how short is too short to be worth it. A couple years ago, 3 miles was about all I ran. Nowadays, if I only have time for 3-4 miles, it's hard to get motivated cuz it doesn't seem like I'm even doing anything. Another of those c-team happy moments. Improvement comes so easy. It's going to be sorta sad when that eventually stops happening.
          Yep...for me I don't want to do anything under 5 miles for a "short" run. It takes me 1.5-2 miles just to feel warmed-up. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay