Disney Runners? (Read 819 times)

Chris,

You'll be fine (temps, hills, etc.)  I ran the Disney Princess Half a couple of years ago with my wife and SIL and it is FLAT.  The way I look at the temps is that it will take you a relatively short time to get the muscles warmed up and going versus it taking several miles like it does during the midwest winters.  Have fun with the trip.

Hmmm... good point.

Are you trying to mess with my head now? Rather than run every run outside I should have been on a treadmill in those temps??? Aaaaargh!!

No, not trying to mess with your head. Everyone is different in how they react to the temps.

I wish you the best in the race.  Have fun!

Hmmm... good point.

Are you trying to mess with my head now? Rather than run every run outside I should have been on a treadmill in those temps??? Aaaaargh!!

MonkeyBunny

Disney runners...

• No elevation except for the previously mentioned underpasses and a dip in front of the Contemporary.
        • There is quite a lot of camber (road tilt), particulary in the high teens/early 20s miles of the marathon.  Won't be an issue unless you are nursing an injury.
        • Bring something to sit on, like a garbage bag or throwaway blanket.  After you get up at a ridculous hour to catch the bus, you'll be dumped into a huge parking lot for about 45 minutes until the long long walk to the corrals.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

xhristopher

No, not trying to mess with your head. Everyone is different in how they react to the temps.

I wish you the best in the race.  Have fun!

Ha. I'm just messing w/ you. I'll have fun.

Ball of Fury

Since I have been training in the 20s and low 30s for the last 2 months, I am a bit worried about the temps.  Obviously, nothing I can do about it, just not sure if I should adjust my goal or just go for it and hope I finish the full before it gets too hot or I blow up!  Either way, looking forward to the race and especially Drinking Around the World on Monday!  Fyi, you can now buy wine/beer at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom so stay out of there until after the weekend. Big grin

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

If anyone is interested there is an informal Meet and Greet/more formal sit down and eat Forum Exchange at Ragland Road in Downtown Disney scheduled for Sat at 5:00pm.  Stop by and meet some other forumites and put a face with a name.  There is a thread in the Beginners and Beyond User Group with some details and names.  Take a peak and introduce yourselves, we all benefit by enlarging the community of runners and advisors.

BTW: Ami, I sent you a PM if you are watching this thread

Good luck Disney Runners.

A word of advice on drinking around the world at EPCOT.

If you are a beer drinker, start in Canada and tour counter clockwise.

If you are a liquor drinker, start in Mexico and tour clockwise.

Pace yourself and have fun.

nothing to see here.  

HermosaBoy

What is the method behind this strategy?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

MonkeyBunny

Starting in Canada, you're guaranteed two great beer opportunities (Canada and Great Britain) before you hit France.  In my opinion, you have to go with wine in France.

If you start in Mexico, you can do a shot of tequila.  Otherwise, you're hammered by the time you get to Mexico and you might default to a margarita.  Slushy drinks don't cut it when you drink around the world.

You can get hung up in Italy.  They've really improved their alcohol selection.

Be afraid of Germany.  Be very afraid.  It's ok to eat something, just don't fill up.

America is right in the middle.  Think of it as 13.1.  I think Budweiser tastes like shit but after drinking all sorts of stuff you'll be glad to have something familiar.

A couple of countries like Morocco don't have a real pavilion but instead have a cart selling beer.  You need to establish ground rules before you start and decide if the carts count or if you are only going to hit the bigger countries.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

xhristopher

I'm a beer drinker but think it would be better to start in Mexico because getting drunk and finishing off with a margarita in Mexico will probably make me sick. Of course, France is almost before Canada going clockwise and having Champagne at the end could get me in trouble too...

xhristopher

If you start in Mexico, you can do a shot of tequila.  Otherwise, you're hammered by the time you get to Mexico and you might default to a margarita.  Slushy drinks don't cut it when you drink around the world.

Does Mexico have sangria? I don't mind finishing with that.

You'll have all sorts of options though all the pavilions.   In my personal experience, it is not a good idea to start with a whiskey flight in canada and continue to choose what looks best at each country and ending with a tequila flight in Mexico.

Remember to eat some food as well as drink or you could lose it all into an ice bucket at the hotel at the end of the night.  ;-)

some other Recommdataions:

1.  Get a mararita from La Cava de Tequila inside the Mexico building, not the frozen sugar drink from outside on the walkway.

2.  Get a black & tan or a half  & half from inside the Rose and Crown pub and walk over to Off Kilter and listen to a set.

3.  My wife likes the Grey Goose slushie drink from France and the "Torontopolitan" from Canada.

4.  visit these links:  here and here

EPCOT might be the best place for adults down there.

nothing to see here.  

xor

EPCOT is absolutely the best place for drinking adults.

As for the sangria, I can't remember if that's in Mexico or not.  Try Morocco too.  While you will have lots of options as you move around, each country does have a theme (sorry, I know that's a duh) and that's part of the drinking fun.

I'm a beer guy.  I have never made it around nor attempted.  But I do check out what's what beerwise in each country.

And while you are in Norway, ponder the probable line for Maelstrom.  It is a goofy goofy little ride.

Ball of Fury

4outa5:  reply sent!

As far as DOTW, I absolutely have to start in Canada (there will be a large group of runners meeting in Canada at 11:30-11:45 Monday if anyone would like to join) because if I start with Mexico (that avocado margarita is perhaps the best alcoholic beverage I have ever had!), I only make it about halfway.  If I start with beer, I can pace myself much better, although I have been done in a few times by the damn sake bar in Japan....sake sneaks up on you!  I think they do have Sangria at the La Cava de Tequila, but I may be wrong.  Whatever you do....do not drink one of those premixed margaritas from the stand outside..yuck!  Oh and if you like wine, I have heard there is a free wine tasting at 3 on Mondays and Tuesdays at Tutto Gusto in Italy....at least there is one drink that won't cost you $8!

Ball of Fury

The only thing goofier is that damn Donald Duck boat ride in Mexico....unfortunately, my kids loves it.  Fortunately, it is near the tequila bar so I manage!

EPCOT is absolutely the best place for drinking adults.

As for the sangria, I can't remember if that's in Mexico or not.  Try Morocco too.  While you will have lots of options as you move around, each country does have a theme (sorry, I know that's a duh) and that's part of the drinking fun.

I'm a beer guy.  I have never made it around nor attempted.  But I do check out what's what beerwise in each country.

And while you are in Norway, ponder the probable line for Maelstrom.  It is a goofy goofy little ride.