So frustrated right now.... (Read 958 times)

derek

As I've mentioned earlier this week, I've been unable to run because of a ankle/shin problem. I've rested for the week so far and my leg was starting to feel better so I decided to try an easy 3-mile run this evening. That lasted all of about 10 feet by which time I realized that my leg couldn't take the pounding. I was really hoping to have been able to do my long run on Sunday, but that seems to now be out of the question. It looks as though I may have to give my leg several more days of rest, or maybe even longer. I've started doing 40-60 mins on an elliptical trainer each day, but it's so frustrating that I can't get out there and run. Now I'm starting wonder what would happen if I just can't run again. E.g, I always hear people mention that they tried running, but their knee always hurt or they always get some other kind of pain that prevents them from running. I have to assume there are some people for whom running is just not a possibility, just as there must be some sports I could never do (like golf) and what if I were one of those people?

Derek

Hi Derek, I just took a peek at your log, and you are going to be able to run. You will not be one of those people whose knees always bug them. You already got past that stage. Those folks usually cant get started. Looking at your log, I think I know what happened. In October, you were running 15-18 miles a week. In November you ran 22-25 miles a week. Now your body is angry. I think we have all made the same mistake - things are going well, so we do just a little more, not realizing that maybe that little is too much, and pushes us over the edge. Now you are injured and need to let your legs heal. I know it is frustrating, but you will get over this. Unfortunately, it takes time. And patience. I personally dont have much of either these days, so I know how frustrated you must be. You may also benefit from new shoes, if you havent tried that recently. No, I dont work for a shoe-company. But new shoes have solved my problems two out of two times now. Run short. Really short. Shorter than you have run in years (or at least months). Try half a mile or a mile. If that goes well, great. Stop. Take the next day off and then do it again. Take another day off and repeat again. Then on week two add a little bit to it - like maybe go to 1 mile from a half, or 1.5 from 1 mile. I know this sounds ridiuclously slow when you want to run long, but it may be what you need now. Your legs will tell you if you are going too fast. You also have several weeks where you run 3-6 days in a row. I personally need to take days off between runs. I can get away with two days in a row, maybe three if they are easy, but if I dont alternate consistantly, my knees complain. Maybe some day I will be able to run 5 days in a row, but for now I need that time between runs. Something to think about. Remember, your goal is to run a marathon in a year, right? You dont have to get there this month or even next month. I am sure you will get there, you just need to be patient with yourself.

Now that was a bath...

Derek, I can see how seriously you take your running and in that I can empathise. I haven't been running long but already I would be devestated if it turned out that running wasn't right for me. I really hope that this injury lets up soon and you can get back to your passion. Abbaroodle has great advice! Good luck - but most importantly, good healing. Claire xxx
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        va

I hear you Derek. I have the same fears as you. I find it hard to control myself, to take it easy, to stop pushing myself. I like how running makes me feel, and I want more. I think abbaroodle is right. You need to have patience. Patience in your training and patience in your recovery. You're situation reminds me of the following quote: "You must listen to your body. Run through annoyance but not through pain." - George Sheehan
          derek

I just took a peek at your log, and you are going to be able to run. You will not be one of those people whose knees always bug them. You already got past that stage. Those folks usually cant get started.
            This is good to know. It does help alleviate one of my concerns.
            You may also benefit from new shoes, if you haven't tried that recently. No, I dont work for a shoe-company. But new shoes have solved my problems two out of two times now.
            I did get new shoes and I'm actually thinking that may have been one of the causes. I got fitted for new shoes at a running store on a Sat. I ran 10 miles on the Sun and then ran 8 miles over 2 days on a treadmill. To be honest, I think it's either the shoes or the treadmill. Because I did 2 new things together, I don't know which is at fault. My leg started to hurt after the first day on the treadmill when I did 3 miles, but I went ahead and did 5 the next day. After it hurt even more, I did 3 miles the day after on the road and 3 days later ran another 10 miles on the road. I probably should have rested after the first sign of pain, but maybe I just aggravated it even more. I was looking at the new shoes yesterday and I realize that it isn't very flexible at all. If I try to bend it at the front where the ball of my foot would be, it doesn't bend. Not like my previous shoes. I'm trying to be patient. I'll continue to do the elliptical every day. Maybe I'll try to rest for the remainder of the year and see if I can start fresh on Jan 1st.

Derek

derek

I have the same fears as you. I find it hard to control myself, to take it easy, to stop pushing myself. I like how running makes me feel, and I want more.
              You're right, the more I run, the more I want to run further and faster. I realized 1-2 months ago that I'm almost addicted to the progress. I absolutely love being able to run further and further and faster and faster week after week and I had come to realize the more I push, the more I improve. I guess that's why this injury is so hard. All I can think of is whether I can continue running and going further and faster and also how much is this injury going to set me back. This is an excellent exercise in patience....something I'm not very good at :-) And to think my injury is actually pretty minor compared to some injuries I read about. I've heard about people that had to take MONTHS off from running.

Derek

va

I have never heard of treadmills causing injuries. On the contrary, they're supposed to be easier on your legs: "Running on a treadmill is much easier on your legs, feet, and joints than running on rock-hard concrete and asphalt, and special low-impact treadmills are available which claim to reduce the impact of running by 40%. How? The running belt on the treadmill gives more than outdoor surfaces, and the inner workings of the treadmill help to disperse the shock waves that occur when your foot strikes a surface." -http://uncommonbody.blogspot.com/2006/10/top-8-reasons-to-buy-treadmill.html A shoe issue sounds more likely. Did you like your old shoes? One bit of advice I've heard is that if you find a pair of shoes you like, stick with them (i.e., by several pairs while they're still available).
                derek

I have never heard of treadmills causing injuries. On the contrary, they're supposed to be easier on your legs:
                  I read that running on a treadmill sometimes causes you to change your gait and thus possibly lead to injury. Also, the first time the pain started was after the first time I used the treadmill. Whereas I ran 10 miles in the new shoes prior to that without any problems. Of course., my problem is that the 2 events are so close together, I can't be sure which is at fault. I don't know if you ever notice when you try to walk too fast or briskly, sometimes the top of the ankle/bottom of the shin sometimes hurt? That's the exact pain I actually have.
                  A shoe issue sounds more likely. Did you like your old shoes? One bit of advice I've heard is that if you find a pair of shoes you like, stick with them (i.e., by several pairs while they're still available).
                  I was starting to get some IT band pain in the shoes I was initially running it. These were shoes that I had picked out myself from Sports Authority when I first started They had 250 miles on them so I figured I need to change them, but I thought it best to get fitted in a running store. The sales person told me the shoes I were using were for motion control whereas I have neutral feet and that the original shoes could be the source of my problem. She fitted me with cushioning shoes. I have since bought another pair of my original shoes, but I haven't had a chance to try them as yet since I can't run.

Derek

vicentefrijole

I was looking at the new shoes yesterday and I realize that it isn't very flexible at all. If I try to bend it at the front where the ball of my foot would be, it doesn't bend. Not like my previous shoes.
                    I won't tell you that your shoes aren't the problem (you're the best judge of that).... but, FYI, this stiffness may not be a bad thing. At a shoe clinic I went to a PT demonstrated how an old pair of shoes can be bent into crazy shapes while a new pair (but the same exact model) is far more stiff. That stiffness is (generally) a good thing, as it's providing the support that you want from a shoe... as the shoe breaks down it becomes more flexible and less supportive (at least that's the idea). However, I am aware that there is varying stiffness between different models/brands of shoes, so it is possible that your new shoe is too stiff for your foot... again, you're the best judge of that. Big grin
                    JakeKnight

You got brand new shoes and then went out and ran 10 miles on them? Did I read that right? Shocked Well, that might be your problem right there. Shoes need a little breaking in - and so do your feet. Most people I know wear their running shoes around for a few days, maybe go to the mall or take the dog for a walk ... and then do a couple easy, short runs first. For now, try alternating in your older shoes. And like everyone says - take it easy, speed demon. Considering you planned on running Boston the day you took your first steps, and then ran quite a bit of mileage while losing 50 pounds, it's not surprising you're hurting. Ease back into it. And heavy cross-training can keep you in fine shape; I know tri-athletes who only run a couple times a week, but they can run faster than I ever will - because the swimming and biking keeps their fitness level so high. Good luck to you!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

vicentefrijole

I read that running on a treadmill sometimes causes you to change your gait and thus possibly lead to injury.
                        Running on a treadmill definitely changes your gait... I've never had it cause an injury (for me) but anything's possible... particularily if your altered gait combined with any one of a number of possible contributing problems (shoes, overtraining/fatigue, flexibility, etc, etc, etc). It's all those variables that are so frustrating (I know, I've been there also). Tongue I encourage you to try a few changes, but the best thing you can do is rest, heal, and then start up again very, very conservatively (don't try to make up for lost time/miles.. just start fresh).
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You got brand new shoes and then went out and ran 10 miles on them? Did I read that right? Shocked Well, that might be your problem right there. Shoes need a little breaking in - and so do your feet. Most people I know wear their running shoes around for a few days, maybe go to the mall or take the dog for a walk ... and then do a couple easy, short runs first. For now, try alternating in your older shoes.
                          I think that's a good suggestion, too. I just got new shoes, myself...same model as my previous shoes. But I limited my first run in them to just 5 easy miles in them, mainly because they are so much stiffer than my old ones. Also to let them stretch where they need to stretch and mold to my feet a bit better. After the first couple of runs they feel almost exactly like my old ones did (only with more cushion and support). I still wouldn't rule out the treadmill possibility, either. I have had an issue with my left calf ever since running on slippery, snowy terrain last week. I was forced to run really awkwardly for several miles on several days...I also had a few "oh shit" moments when I had to catch myself from slipping, so I think it's a muscle tension issue. I would think that running on a treadmill and changing your gait may have caused a few muscles to tense up differently. Maybe do a shortish run in your old shoes to see if that helps any. At least you might be able to pinpoint if it's indeed a shoe issue. If it is, can you return the new shoes and find something closer to your original pair? Most good running stores will stand behind their fittings and products. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

i've bought my last shoes (Asics Cumulus) and ran 20 miles on them the next day with no problem...maybe some shoes do need to get broken in. I had ankle, knee, shin , calf problems when I bumped my mileage from sub 20 mile a week to over 20..they all went away after i stayed at 20 awhile and then came back when my training required 30 + miles. Stressing about not being able to run ever again probably doesn't help...just take it one run at a time..it'll pass as your body gets used to it. "life's a garden...dig it" (Joe Dirt)
                              NB: I did not say your shoes were your problem. Or getting new ones was your solution. But that was something to think about and you may benefit. Then again, you may not. If you do take off until the New Year, the same advice holds: start back in slowly. Very short distances a few days a week with days off between. You can run a mile and then hop on the elliptical to maintain cardio endurance if you want. I know how frustrated you are. I have only been at this for a year, and I get really cranky when I havent run in a couple days. I must have sent Trent some really nasty e-mails when he politely and innocently asked why I hadnt been on a group run in a while and invited me to come out. (Sorry Trent! But you did have great advice and I appreciated your looking past my frustration and venting!)
                              runnershawn

As I've mentioned earlier this week, I've been unable to run because of a ankle/shin problem. I've rested for the week so far and my leg was starting to feel better so I decided to try an easy 3-mile run this evening. That lasted all of about 10 feet by which time I realized that my leg couldn't take the pounding. I was really hoping to have been able to do my long run on Sunday, but that seems to now be out of the question. It looks as though I may have to give my leg several more days of rest, or maybe even longer. I've started doing 40-60 mins on an elliptical trainer each day, but it's so frustrating that I can't get out there and run. Now I'm starting wonder what would happen if I just can't run again. E.g, I always hear people mention that they tried running, but their knee always hurt or they always get some other kind of pain that prevents them from running. I have to assume there are some people for whom running is just not a possibility, just as there must be some sports I could never do (like golf) and what if I were one of those people?

I like to get a golf ball and try to roll out the front muscle\tendon of the shin, then ice massage it with a frozen dixie cup.  It will hurt like hell, but will feel better in a few days.