Political Activism Regarding MMJ... (Read 420 times)

Gator eye

Hey Sparky, ya got a light?

kcam

Tobacco is more dangerous for the effects it has on the individual consuming it. Alcohol is more dangerous for the effects on everyone else. Drunks get aggressive, shoot people, crash cars etc. These things are not really an issue with tobacco, although people suffering withdrawal can become a bit irrational.

Regarding tobacco:  THEY (the man, city hall, the gubmint) are hitting us with both barrels (at least in CA) about the intrinsic evil and heavy damage done by second-hand tobacco smoke.   Ferchrissakes you can't even light up and enjoy a nice post-race smoke in Golden Gate Park after running the Kaiser 1/2 Marathon.

I am pretty liberal, but here is my opinion on why I am AGAINST the legalization of Marijuana... Personal example...:

I personally have never used drugs of any type, ever.    Now, I have 2 identical twin boys, age 14.  Identical in most ways, except that one started focusing on skateboarding as a hobby more than the other.  That is all fine and dandy, but of course most of the skaters around here smoke weed.

He started smoking it about 6 months ago, kept it a secret from me.  He had been A's and B's before, but his grades were steady dropping during this timeframe.  I could go on all day with the full story, but let me cut to one simple point to keep this short....

---   I understand that Adults want to legalize marijuana, but what this does is tells the youth of America "It is Okay to use Marijuana!"  "It is legal for adults, so kids should be able to use it too!" --- And what you end up with is a large portion of the youth of America using Marijuana "because everyone else uses it" (peer pressure), and since one main side-effects of marijuana is that it makes you relaxed and "not care", then you get alot of folks like one of my twin sons who now has shitty grades, and does "not care"  + wants to run to drugs to keep not caring!

---Adults can have their medical marijuana, whatever, but when you legalize it, that will have a huge negative effect on the youth of today.  Kids will not live up to their potential with this distraction.  Is that what you would want for your child?  Are you Okay with your child smoking grass every day to relieve his stress (run from his problems) and not living up to his potential because the only thing on his mind is getting high again?.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am pretty liberal, but here is my opinion on why I am AGAINST the legalization of Marijuana... Personal example...:

I personally have never used drugs of any type, ever.    Now, I have 2 identical twin boys, age 14.  Identical in most ways, except that one started focusing on skateboarding as a hobby more than the other.  That is all fine and dandy, but of course most of the skaters around here smoke weed.

He started smoking it about 6 months ago, kept it a secret from me.  He had been A's and B's before, but his grades were steady dropping during this timeframe.  I could go on all day with the full story, but let me cut to one simple point to keep this short....

---   I understand that Adults want to legalize marijuana, but what this does is tells the youth of America "It is Okay to use Marijuana!"  "It is legal for adults, so kids should be able to use it too!" --- And what you end up with is a large portion of the youth of America using Marijuana "because everyone else uses it" (peer pressure), and since one main side-effects of marijuana is that it makes you relaxed and "not care", then you get alot of folks like one of my twin sons who now has shitty grades, and does "not care"  + wants to run to drugs to keep not caring!

---Adults can have their medical marijuana, whatever, but when you legalize it, that will have a huge negative effect on the youth of today.  Kids will not live up to their potential with this distraction.  Is that what you would want for your child?  Are you Okay with your child smoking grass every day to relieve his stress (run from his problems) and not living up to his potential because the only thing on his mind is getting high again?.

I'm sorry to hear this about your son, I truly am -- it's the stuff of every parent's nightmares.  But by your logic alcohol should also be illegal, because some kids will illegally abuse that, too (kids don't really care that it's verboten until age 21--I sure didn't).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

(kids don't really care that it's verboten until age 21--I sure didn't).

For some reason, I remember Wisconsin in your background, so I don't think you're a good example.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

How is smoking weed more distracting to kids than tobacco or alcohol? Would the peer pressure be any different than peer pressure to use alcohol or smoke tobacco?

I guess I'm sort of undecided on this topic but I am confused by treating weed the same way as cocaine or heroin. I told my daughter that I personally think that weed should be treated more like tobacco and alcohol; and for the same reasons I wouldn't want her to partake in either of those drugs, I wouldn't want her to smoke weed either. I'm hoping she listens and avoids all of those things until she is an adult and understands the consequences.

I also kind of think that when you teach kids that weed is bad and horrible, then they try it and don't die instantly or get addicted, they might decide to try another type of drug assuming a similar consequence - or lack there of. That to me is the "gate way" part of weed. Anyways, I don't want my daughter to smoke ciggs, drink alcohol or smoke weed but on the badness scale I don't think weed is much different than the others.

I dunno???

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

I am pretty conservative, and here is my opinion on my position relating to Marijuana...

Personal part first.... I have never smoked it or been around it.  I do NOT know what it smells like.

But, it pains me to have the federal government have a position regarding this.  To me, it's not a federal issue.

Legalizing it would not impact whether I choose to purchase or consume it.

Legalizing likely wouldn't impact whether kids purchase or consume it (because those that want it can get it today).

There's always a social stigma with poor choice decisions, and most people are on one side or the other (of the poor choice) before they make the choice.  Yes, before they made the choice to smoke (or drink or ____), they made the choice to say yes if they were given the opportunity.

We must stand for something or we'll fall for anything.

I don't drink much at all.  I could go the rest of my life without another drink.  But, I'm not against alcohol.  I brewed my own beer for a few years, but realized I never drank beer, and quit doing it.  I don't personally see any benefits to consuming alcohol, and water tastes better for me.  I'd be against prohibition of alcohol.

I don't smoke cigarettes or cigars.  I'll go the rest of my life without either.  I'd be against prohibition of cigarettes outside on your personal property.  City ordinances relating to cigarette use are valuable, and originate at the proper level of government.

Our job (as leaders in society) is to guide people through education and through our example that help them as they make wise decisions.  Bottom line, in my opinion, legislation is not the most effective way to guide people to make wise decisions.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

#artbydmcbride

I thought medical marijuana was a good thing, and I guess I still do, but I thought it would be regulated and dispensed like other restricted drugs: a genuine prescription from a real doctor and real pharmacies.    But here in LA county these bogus storefront clinics sprang up and these fly-by-night "doctors" write lots scripts so that dozens of slackers can buy a bunch of weed to get high.Roll eyes   Petty crime has increased and property values have sunk.

It should be regulated so that patients who really need it can get it, and bozos can't.     (similar to my stance on gun control)   Big grin

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For some reason, I remember Wisconsin in your background, so I don't think you're a good example.

Evil I had a rather "European" upbringing. Big grin

And nowadays I'm a total lightweight.  I rarely drink more than 2-3 servings of alcohol in a sitting.  To be honest, not much has changed since I was a teen.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How is smoking weed more distracting to kids than tobacco or alcohol? Would the peer pressure be any different than peer pressure to use alcohol or smoke tobacco?

I guess I'm sort of undecided on this topic but I am confused by treating weed the same way as cocaine or heroin. I told my daughter that I personally think that weed should be treated more like tobacco and alcohol; and for the same reasons I wouldn't want her to partake in either of those drugs, I wouldn't want her to smoke weed either. I'm hoping she listens and avoids all of those things until she is an adult and understands the consequences.

I also kind of think that when you teach kids that weed is bad and horrible, then they try it and don't die instantly or get addicted, they might decide to try another type of drug assuming a similar consequence - or lack there of. That to me is the "gate way" part of weed. Anyways, I don't want my daughter to smoke ciggs, drink alcohol or smoke weed but on the badness scale I don't think weed is much different than the others.

I dunno???

+1 meeeellion.

~ Sarah Kay

Our job (as leaders in society) is to guide people through education and through our example that help them as they make wise decisions.  Bottom line, in my opinion, legislation is not the most effective way to guide people to make wise decisions.

--- Very valid point.  And not to mix hot topics, but I feel that gun control can not be legislated either.  Any laws passed post-Adam Lanza will do nothing to prevent a nut from getting a gun.

--- To simplify about Marijuana:   When the government comes out and says "it is legal", that will only increase the amount of the youth in America using it.  More teens will use it if it is legal, which will lead to more teens "not caring" at one of the most crucisl stages in life!  "College?  Nah, I've lost intrest in that.  Gonna hang out with my buddy and toke it up + relax!"  ((And I have to add a personal bit, the twin son, when smoking Marijuana and "not caring", took some cocaine laced marijuana, followed by some pills, which he stated he only did because he was not thinking straight while smoking marijuana.  Gateway Drug?  YES it is.

--- I think it best that marijuana remain illegal.  But one thing is clear:  With society becoming more liberal, marijuana use is likely to increase regardless of any legislation that keeps itl illegal.  Still, keeping it illegal will deter some percentage of people not to start using.  It helps to back the parents as well who do not want their kids using.  What are you going to do when your rebillious teen is thinking about it, you say "No", and they come back "But it is LEGAL, what is the big deal?"

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

#artbydmcbride

--- ...., but I feel that gun control can not be legislated either.  Any laws passed post-Adam Lanza will do nothing to prevent a nut from getting a gun.

--- To simplify about Marijuana:   When the government comes out and says "it is legal", that will only increase the amount of the youth in America using it.  ....

---......is likely to increase regardless of any legislation that keeps it illegal.  Still, keeping it illegal will deter some percentage of people not to start using.  .......

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

A lot of criminals and nuts get their guns from legal owners who were lax in keeping them secured.

If guns weren't so prevalent, fewer guns would be used.   It is that simple.  And yes, it can be legislated that ownership be restricted and fewer guns will eventually be around.  We have to start somewhere.

Runners run

Our job (as leaders in society) 

WHOA THERE!  when did i sign up to that?

perhaps i'm suffering from bong-induced damage...

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Feeling the growl again

If guns cellphones weren't so prevalent, fewer guns cellphones would be used when driving.   It is that simple.  And yes, it can be legislated that ownership be restricted and fewer guns cellphones will eventually be around.  We have to start somewhere.

I suspect you may think my above changes are absurd; it's likely because you have a cellphone, value it, and consider it an important tool in your life.  However if we took them away many lives would be saved and there are no Constitutional issues in the way.

People tend not to care about things they don't personally use and are perfectly happy to legislate them away.  I have never personally used weed and never will so the fact that it is illegal doesn't bother me.  However I can also understand some of the arguments being put forward, especially from a medical perspective.

In general, I think it is very poor strategy to try and attack something by taking it away from law-abiding citizens (especially when pesky Constitutional amendments are involved).  It would seem to make much more sense to go after criminals.  People should secure their weapons, but it is already illegal to steal one.  Perhaps we should release all the small-time pot convicts to make room for 5-year sentences for anyone caught stealing or in posession of a stolen weapon.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills