Garmin Training Center (Read 844 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

So there is a graph on my screen which shows me pace vs distance (default) and can be changed. Should I be looking at that to see if I'm consistent or should I be looking at the splits. And if it really doesn't mean much can I get rid of it? Thanks!!!
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So there is a graph on my screen which shows me pace vs distance (default) and can be changed. Should I be looking at that to see if I'm consistent or should I be looking at the splits. And if it really doesn't mean much can I get rid of it?
      Personally, I don't find the graph too useful for pace/speed. The numbers are a little too jumpy (due to satellite variability) even with smoothing turned on. And the vertical scale is not adjustable, so if you suddenly stop during a run (to avoid a pothole, getting hit by a car, etc.) your get this spike where your pace goes really high and makes it difficult to even see changes in the rest of the trend. I do think the graph is useful for looking at heart rate and elevation (though you get much better elevation numbers if you upload your data to MotionBased.com and have the MB Gravity (altitude correction) turned on.) Bottom line -- I would look at your splits instead of the graph. I'm not sure if you can make it go away -- I'll take a look at it when I get back to my own computer.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I agree the splits mean a lot more. You should also deep six TC. Get SportTracks at http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/. It is free, does nearly everything TC does plus a lot more, is better designed, and a new version is even in the works. (Well, on the new version front I would not really hold my breadth since it has been in production for over a year now.) The only thing I still use TC for is to upload courses and workouts to the Garmin. As to elevation, instead of MB you can try http://www.mapmyrun.com/. It allows you to download data from the Garmin and it then produces that appears to be an elevation profile based on Google maps or some such similar database.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Does SportsTracks allow downloading custom workouts to the Garmin? I couldn't find the feature there. If not, then that's the main reason to keep GTC. MTA - Just realized that Twocat said that SportsTracks does not yet do this.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Drawback with SportTracks is that it's PC only. Not only that, it requires some .NET framework (whatever the hell that is) that isn't supported by my work Windows 2000 PC. Unfortunately, there's no one-stop solution since no matter what you use for maps, whether it be ST, MB, or RunningAhead (in the future), you still need GTC to load advanced workouts. All that being said, I'm in favor of web-based solutions like MB (and RA in the future) because they're generally platform-agnostic and can be accessed anywhere. BTW, got the Garmin 305 Foot Pod accessory for X-mas (for using Garmie while dreadmilling). I'll right a review when I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.