The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Westfield Day Care Center 5k - 6/12/22

I had some misgivings about signing up for this race as they were claiming to use a certified course that was exactly the same course that another 5k claimed to use but didn't.  Still, it looked like a small, fun race, with 85 people having run it last year and 50+ already signed up for this year.

We got there for day of race registration and straight off I noticed the finish line was in the wrong place.  I talked to the guy from the timing company and he sort of acknowledged my concern without admitting it, shrugging and saying he went where they told him.  I talked to the RD at the sign in desk and it quickly became apparent that she was misreading the map, so I just let it go and agreed with my son we'd run a race that was about 20 yards short (and given those 20 yards included a sharp 120º turn on a muddy corner, we were fine with the finish line where it was).  We mosied on over where the start line was supposed to be, but they were starting further back, again not where the course map specified, but ironically far enough to make up for the short finish line, so the course would be pretty close to 5k.

Probably thanks to a few drops of rain, about half the registered runners were no-shows and they were short on course marshals too, but they had someone give a detailed description of the course.  I could tell my son still wasn't sure about the route.  The said "go" and we were off.  My son took a quick lead and I was second for about ½ a mile, when two other runners passed me.  I was going a bit fast because I wanted to keep my son in sight so I could make sure he didn't miss two critical turns in the first half of the race.  About ¾ of a mile in another runner passed me.  I passed him back and saw my son make the correct right turn onto a neighborhood street, then the runner re-passed me.  I ran the first mile in 7:42, which was aggressive for the warm, humid conditions.

About a ¼ mile later was the second critical turn and my son was about to miss it.  He and the other two lead runners (my son was leading a pack of 3) had slowed and were pointing fingers when I shouted out to them "turn right, across the bridge."  They did that and off they went.  I was still in 4th at this point, but could hear footsteps behind me.  About halfway through the second mile, my son fell to third place, but kept on plugging along.  I could hear the footsteps getting closer and right around the 2-mile mark, I was passed by a gentleman who looked older than me and I thought "There go both my top-5 finish and age-graded win."  My second mile was 8:03.

The third mile was uneventful.  I was working hard, but not going any faster.  I knew my only chance of picking up places was if someone faded, but that didn't happen.  There was nobody pushing me from behind (my margin over the 7th finisher - and first female - would be 39 seconds).  I did close a bit on the 3/4/5 runners, but not enough to have a chance.  My third mile was 8:07.

I saw my son and the 4th place runner neck and neck.  Later, he told me they agreed to finish together; a nice gesture by a 40 year old runner towards a youngster who had led for half the race.  They were 23 seconds out of 2nd place and 35 seconds off the winner.  I finished 20 seconds behind the 5th place finisher, who was 5 years older than me - on an age graded basis he was first and I was second.  (There were only 3 runners with age graded results over 60% - not exactly a blistering fast field.)

It was neat experience to run a small race and for me to actually be competitive with the leaders for a while.  I know it was only the relatively slow field that allowed me to be close, but still....

We hung around a bit to see the other runners finish, then went back to the car where I changed into a dry shirt and softer shoes and ran the 2½ miles back home.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

JamesD

JamesD

Flavio – ...There are also times when I use different shoes for my warm up/downs and my workouts. Surely I can’t be the only one that does this?? 😊

I do it too.  For tempo runs, workouts, & races I almost always warm up in my easy run shoes and change into my faster shoes before doing strides.  One reason is because faster shoes don't last as long as more cushioned ones and are more expensive, so I don't want to waste them on easy miles.  Just as important, though, is the psychological aspect.  Putting on my easy run shoes tells me it's time to go slowly and prevents me from going too hard.  Changing into faster shoes tells me it's time to go fast.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

Thank you and by the way I didn't mean to imply what you do is wrong or anything. I was just genuinely curious as Garmin stores the laps, but it won't show as a separate activity.

It was more of a "People do that?" moment, you know, like there's this debate of whether you fold or crush the toilet paper before wiping.

I'm a fold the toilet paper kind of person. Now I hope you're not a crush the toilet paper kind of person, for that I take exception to.

The real question is should the toilet paper be released over or under the roll.

I'm (usually) like James. I like to save my race shoes for the last second strides and the race itself. I'll often warm up in something else.

DW  you struggle with deadlifts and Flavio loves them. Once again I'm with Flavio, they're great and much easier than squats or split squats. I wonder if that's another fast twitch / slow twitch divide.

Good racing Hash!

Fred - I'm confused by the finishing together bit but you certainly raced well, especially since you went out too hard to keep your son on course.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - I'm confused by the finishing together bit but you certainly raced well, especially since you went out too hard to keep your son on course.

Sorry if my account was confusing.  For some reason, the runner in 4th closed in in my son in 3rd and then offered to run the last 50-100 yards together.  Maybe they were both tiring.  I don't know.  I was 6th, running alone.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Fred they will have to do a photo finish on that one 

Flavio in NZ we are so tough we don't use toilet paper....ugh no that makes us disgusting,  I retract my comment 

I did the training shoe to race shoe change in a Parkrun last year but generally don't bother.

The new hybrid shoes these days like Endorphin Speed and Adios 6 are good for slow and fast.

Zeb I just started watching a youtuber Fergus Crawley who sqatted 501lbs then ran a sub 5 mile

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

It was neat experience to run a small race and for me to actually be competitive with the leaders for a while.  I know it was only the relatively slow field that allowed me to be close, but still....

Don't sell yourself short.  You can only ever race the runners that show up.  Enjoy the experience!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred they will have to do a photo finish on that one 

Well, the chip timing has a 0.27 second difference between them, but the runners intended to cross together.

Don't sell yourself short.  You can only ever race the runners that show up.  Enjoy the experience!

Thanks, Mark.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fred - nice race and enjoyable race report. What was your finish time?

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - nice race and enjoyable race report. What was your finish time?

Thanks, Steve.  I ran a 24:12.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Fred - LOL I find it silly that we have 2 threads and then most of the people here also post there.

Good on you for sacrificing and running faster than ideal to make sure your son took the right turn.

I've only ever won one race and it was a similar race like yours, 20 something people, the day before the local marathon so all the faster runners were busy tapering for that marathon.

Does not matter, I still won it and treasure it to this day, even if there was no podium afterwards as it was part of a series of races.

Zeb/James/Hashi - That's interesting. I suppose you either come back home after the warm up or drive to a place for your workout.

Me being a car-less person and living on the 8th floor, I just wear the same shoe throughout.

Piwi - I just wrote down a note here to never shake your hand 😂

That youtuber is a beast, damn 500lbs is like 226kg, it's like what, almost 3x his own weight?

And I'll be happy if one day I can again dead lift my own weight.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - LOL I find it silly that we have 2 threads and then most of the people here also post there.

Good on you for sacrificing and running faster than ideal to make sure your son took the right turn.

I've only ever won one race and it was a similar race like yours, 20 something people, the day before the local marathon so all the faster runners were busy tapering for that marathon.

Does not matter, I still won it and treasure it to this day, even if there was no podium afterwards as it was part of a series of races.

Flavio - Thanks.  I'm not carless, but since I run to the track as my warmup, I'm like you - using the same pair of shoes throughout.  I can understand why someone might want to switch, but I'm not going to carry an extra pair over my shoulder for that.

I woke up early (before 5) and saw the forecast for tonight's 5k is for 80º (27C), so I decided to reward myself with a few miles in the cooler morning air.  Trouble is, the temperature was already pushing 70º (21C) this morning, but I kept the run slow and short (under 3 miles) and got to see some lovely pink and orange clouds as the sun was rising.

ETA:  Turns out I ran tonight's race 5 years ago in similar, hot & humid conditions.  Back then, I ran 25:55.  I'm running faster these days, but I'm also 5 years older and less tolerant of the heat.  That said, I should at least shoot for a course record, right?

zebano

Zeb when you said single speed beer mile I thought you meant on bikes with only one gear but you ran this right ?

They do one in my city on the track. I like beer but not great at " sculling " as it's known here.

I did a yard glass when I was 20 which is 1.4 litres but I had to stop to spew. It's a shit load of beer though.

yah. Singlespeed is a Brewery about an hour from me but right by my in-laws place. Was a nice little trip. I thought sculling had something to do with rowing races.

ahh lol I couldn't help myself, I responded in the other thread

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Hash - does the meat/pie/beers run involve eating all of them before/during the race? That's both epic and disgusting!

zebano

ETA:  Turns out I ran tonight's race 5 years ago in similar, hot & humid conditions.  Back then, I ran 25:55.  I'm running faster these days, but I'm also 5 years older and less tolerant of the heat.  That said, I should at least shoot for a course record, right?

Yes, yes you should!! go set a course PR

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Yes, yes you should!! go set a course PR

Then it must be done!

ETA:  And so it was done.  24:58, almost a minute better than 5 years ago.  Quite unfortunate that the water bottles were put out in the sun a couple hours before the race.  Nothing like finishing a race in 80º and then be given a bottle of water that's also 80º, maybe warmer.