I might actually be sticking with it (Read 158 times)

Tiefsa

Starting this month, I've been slowly working my way back into running consistently, but I'm finding it hard to keep getting out the door.

Today, I was actually proud of myself.  I am very sore from playing baseball yesterday.  I play in a 35 and older league just for fun.  I was on base four times, I stole a couple bases, and then had to pitch the last two innings.  Today, I was sore all over.

I told myself I'd go running right away this morning to get it out of the way.  I didn't do it.  I then said as soon as I got home in the afternoon, I'd get out the door.  I didn't do it.  Finally, right after I got the kids in bed, I went out for a slow four mile run.  It hurt for the first mile, but I got through it and enjoyed the next three miles.

I probably need to schedule a race or something to keep myself motivated, but today, I won.  Here's hoping I can keep getting out the door and get up to 20 miles this week and keep on building from there.

Not dead. Yet.

Have you tried running trails?  I was in a rut a few months ago and had only ever run roads.  Finally decided to try out the trails and began running them once a week.  It got me excited about getting out the door again, and now I'm excited as hell about a trail race series coming up in the next few months.

Keep at it, you will get it back.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

joescott

Go, Tief!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Good job Tief! Good idea with scheduling a race. A goal race down the line is what I usually use to strive for and keep training. +1 for trail running as well. It adds some extra variety and fun to the usual flat open roads and track. Some people recommend doing your run first thing each morning as once the day gets going it's easier to find excuses to not do it. Plus in these hot summer months, you'll be running in the coolest part of the day! Keep going strong!

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Marylander

I'm just getting back too. I'm using a streak to do it. I have found that to work for me previously.

Tiefsa

Thanks for the encouragement.

I should hit the trails more often, as there are some nice ones around where I live.  I'll check around to see if there are any races I might want to sneak into.  Maybe a 5K or something.

As for starting a running streak, I don't do well with those.  I'm shooting for running five times a week, and doing something active on the days I don't run.

Will run for scenery.

You might look around for a weekly running group.  Often they are based out of a pub or a running store.  When I was starting it was a huge help to have something "automatic" on my calendar : "It's Tuesday, gonna run tonight at 6:00"

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

running metalhead

Some people recommend doing your run first thing each morning as once the day gets going it's easier to find excuses to not do it.

Kudos mate!

I strongly recommend it too, another advantage is that you will have it out of the way so taht you can schedule the rest of your day normally. As a plus you will be a lot more energetic the rest of the day.

Setting Mid and short term goals is key to motivation as the fact that you accomplish the short term ones gives you a sense of accomplishment and empowers you to push for the mid term goals.

An now I'll better get my ass out that door, LOL.Big grin

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                  - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                  - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                  - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                  - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                  - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Congrats on getting back into running!  I think your willpower is a muscle just as much as leg muscles.  You need to work it and build it up.  Every time you say yes to a run when you don't feel like it, it's like doing a lift.

I have a hard time self-motivating to lift weights.  I just find it so boring and I am not very muscular so it is HARD.  My way of making sure I do it is to keep a log on a spreadsheet.  My goal is to lift four times a week, and if I skip a workout, I have to put an "N" in the weights column.  Somehow that little act is often (not always) enough to get me into the weight room.

It also helps me to lift right after I run.  I run first thing in the morning after my coffee.  By making lifting a part of my running workout, I am about a million times more likely to do it.  Any time I have told myself, I will just lift this afternoon, I manage to blow it off completely.  I know that life gets in the way of workouts, but setting a specific time for running is a good suggestion.  And the morning running time makes it less likely that the events of the day will interfere.

Leah, mother of dogs

Today, I was actually proud of myself.  I am very sore from playing baseball yesterday.  I play in a 35 and older league just for fun.  I was on base four times, I stole a couple bases, and then had to pitch the last two innings.  Today, I was sore all over.

This was the original motivating factor for me too. My company sponsors a team, and we play at all of the surrounding festival tournaments. The first year I played, I realized how sore I was after each game, and the days that I played multiple games in the same day, left me exhausted. I am in fantastic shape and I teach martial arts in the evenings. It bugged me that I can do more one handed push-ups than most people can do with two, but... running around the bases and chasing balls, kicked my butt.

It may be rough to "force" yourself out the door, but once you do, it usually is enjoyable. Personally, I see benifits every single day.

Have you tried running trails?  I was in a rut a few months ago and had only ever run roads.  Finally decided to try out the trails and began running them once a week.  It got me excited about getting out the door again, and now I'm excited as hell about a trail race series coming up in the next few months.

Running trails is great. I scheduled a two day trail race, that I planned to be my BIG race for the year. It has been a major motivator for me all year, but I recently found out I can't run in it. Cry I am going to be out of state on that weekend, doing a certification seminar / exam for work.

So, I guess I need to train even harder, so I can run it next year.  (My goal for this year was completion). Maybe I can set a more difficult goal for next year.