2011 Gardening Thread (Read 1783 times)

Prince of Fatness

It's spring, not that you would know it by how cold it has been in these parts.  Anywho, it's time to start thinking about gardening.  Does anyone have anything going yet?

This weekend I will plant potatoes.  I will also try to get in some broccoli and cauliflower, too.

Not at it at all. 

I never would have guessed you'd grow potatoes. Wink

Basil, green peppers, string beans and tomatoes are rocking it at 2 to 3 feet tall already.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

im still waiting for my pop tarts to ripen.

Prince of Fatness

I never would have guessed you'd grow potatoes. Wink

Basil, green peppers, string beans and tomatoes are rocking it at 2 to 3 feet tall already.

I know, right?

Tomatoes, beans, and the like don't go in until mid May in these parts, but potatoes and stuff like cole crops we can do now since they can handle the freezing temperatures.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

I have something growing out of the big toe on my left foot. 

Feeling the growl again

After losing virtually everything that riped post-Aug 1 last year to the monster drought, we are giving up and downsizing this year to focus on other things.  Also due to failures in past years I don't bother with anything before May 1 and most of it goes in a couple weeks after that. 

We have 2 gardens, one fenced to keep the rapids out and the other open to facilitate working it with the tractor (yes it is large).  A tree came down on the fenced one last fall, so this year I think I will be leaving it fallow but working regularly to eradicate weed issues.  We will put in potatos, corn and pumpkins in the other.

We are putting in a kitchen garden in what has become an awkward mowing spot next to where we put in a patio last year.  It will get the tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce.

I lost 2/3 of my seedling windbreak blue spruces to the drought too, despite watering.  So those are on order.  Also some more conifers to plant as future Christmas trees and a few for my wildlife habitat project.  Also the last 8 vines to complete my vineyard.

I am hoping that after this year I am DONE with the trees and vines.  This will be our 5th planting season on the property and I'm ready to move on to other tasks.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I know, right?

Tomatoes, beans, and the like don't go in until mid May in these parts, but potatoes and stuff like cole crops we can do now since they can handle the freezing temperatures.

I should have mentioned that I got a head start. It's all still indoors on a DIY hydroponics setup.

The next weekend I'm not swamped with chores and softball/baseball tournaments for the kiddos, they are moving outside to let Mother Nature do the rest.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

How about hops?

Get off my porch

Prince of Fatness

I should have mentioned that I got a head start. It's all still indoors on a DIY hydroponics setup.

The next weekend I'm not swamped with chores and softball/baseball tournaments for the kiddos, they are moving outside to let Mother Nature do the rest.

I think that I am too lazy for that.  And the plants aren't all that expensive at the nurseries, relatively speaking.  I'll do squash and beans from seed during the summer in order to lengthen the time that I can harvest them.  I only do a couple of plants at  a time for those.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Prince of Fatness

How about hops?

I thought about those and decided not to bother for several reasons.  Their root system is invasive so I would need big pots.  I would have to rig a trellis for them.  And most importantly, Mrs Finn informed me that it would likely piss her off if I grew hops.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Yeah well who's the man around that place anyway?

Prince of Fatness

Yeah well who's the man around that place anyway?

I am, just as you are in your household.  I do what I want, but it involves calculating how much abuse that I wish to put up with.  Mrs Finn is a little different than Mrs Train though.  She prefers abusing me mentally rather than punching me in the face.  You're lucky.

Not at it at all. 

I'd like to grow twice as many veggies, twice as fast without spending any more time in the garden. How do I do this?

Prince of Fatness

How about hops?

I know that I said that I wasn't doing this but some of my harvest will be applied to brewing.  This summer I will brew a potato beer.

Not at it at all.