1600/3200 Track shape (Read 384 times)

SkylineTrack

36 people in a 1600! That seems unmanageable.

It wasn't too bad, but I stuck more towards the back in the early going. The 32 had 30+ people also and was much more crowded early on because the leaders ran a 79 second lap. I got tangled up a bit a couple times but managed to stay around the outside of lane one until the pack thinned out at the 1600 mark.

SkylineTrack

My teams meet this week got cancelled due to excessive wind so instead we did a road mile time trial. The first 400 of it had a pretty decent downhill plus we had a nice tailwind wind most of the way. I started out in around 62-63 for the first .25 with the downhill and went through .5 in probably around 2:10 or so and then just hung on the rest of the way. It was a little long but I went through 1 mile in 4:31 and hit 1.08 in 4:55. It was a little weird to race a mile on the road and my sense of pace was all over the place but I was pretty happy with the result

Just a dude.

Cancelled by wind? Um, wow. That would have never crossed our minds in high school. I remember some windy meets. I remember a meet with probably 50+ gusts and hail. I felt sorry for the gals doing 13+ minutes for a  3200 in that.

Sounds like a nice quick run. Glad to see you keep posting. It's triggering lots of high school memories for me...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Cancelled by wind? Um, wow. That would have never crossed our minds in high school. I remember some windy meets. I remember a meet with probably 50+ gusts and hail. I felt sorry for the gals doing 13+ minutes for a  3200 in that.

Sounds like a nice quick run. Glad to see you keep posting. It's triggering lots of high school memories for me...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Stuff is different in the Rockies....

Better to be on the road running with it, than suffering through it on a track.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Stuff is different in the Rockies....

Better to be on the road running with it, than suffering through it on a track.

As a Colorado guy I can vouch for this. Where I live 15-20 for winds is a fairly calm day, especially in Spring.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

SkylineTrack

The races this week weren't as good.

Friday night was the 32. It was lightly raining but absolutely no wind. I went out right at 4:59-5:00 but my legs didn't want to do what my mind was telling them to and I fell apart the last 1600 and finished in 10:19.4 for 7th.

Saturday was the 1600 and 4x4. It was raining pretty steady the whole day and the track was A bit soaked. Also 10+ mph winds. The 1600 was 2:23 2:32 for 4:55.8 and 12th place. Again I put myself about where I wanted to be at the halfway mark but I couldn't keep it together. The 4x4 was alright I pr'ed in 58.6.

Overall I was kinda disappointed as I was seeded 3rd in the 32 and 6th in the 16 but we did run some pretty tough workouts the week and I some sort of stomach virus on Wednesday. Me and my coach are planning on starting to taper next week (although my mileage took a dive this week anyways) so hopefully my leg will be a bit fresher when districts come around

Just a dude.

Don't underestimate how much an illness can take out of you, especially on top of tough workouts. Don't be too disappointed. You've been doing well and your training has pointed you in the right direction. I expect you will be fine next weekend.

And congrats on the PR. Nice positive way to end the day. Keep that in your mindset.

-Kelly

SkylineTrack

Sorry about not posting too much and thanks for all the support. Been a bit busy studying for the AP tests I'm taking in may as well as districts for track. This week we started tapering and I'll probably be a little under 30 miles this week. Our conference meet was today and it went well. It was a bit windy ~15+ mph and also a little war at 70 degrees or so. I only ran the 3200. The race started out slow and stayed slow basically the whole way. At the 1600 we were at 5:17 and I took the lead with 1100 to go and held on for the win. Time was only 10:30 but I feel like the conditions weren't too great and a lot of 10:1X-2X guys wound up running between 10:40 and 11:00 for whatever reason.

Just a dude.

When is your next level of competition?

-Kelly

joescott

Overall I was kinda disappointed as I was seeded 3rd in the 32 and 6th in the 16

Never be disappointed with your seeding.  Never be happy about your seeding.  Paper doesn't run!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

SkylineTrack

Yeah I guess I just thought there were a couple people I thought I should've been able to beat.

Districts didn't go as well as I wanted

3200: 5:07 first mile and was really wind and I was in the lead pack of 6 until the last 600. I hit the wall and finished in 10:27. 5th was around 10:15. Laps 6-7were probably the hardest I've ever pushed myself mentally or physically it felt like the last lap of a 16 for the last 3 laps.

1600: Again put myself with the lead pack and hit the wall again with 600 to go and got 10th in 4:52. Afterwards I ran the 800 for fun and to update my rather weak pr. Hung on for a 2:14.

joescott

It is really really tough to run well on a windy day.  And there are good days and not so good days.

Don't be discouraged about last night -- you've put up some great PRs this spring!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Why is it sideways?

It is really really tough to run well on a windy day.  And there are good days and not so good days.

Don't be discouraged about last night -- you've put up some great PRs this spring!

Very wise words. This is a tough sport with ups and downs, sometimes when you least expect them. Be proud of your progress and shake off the bad days. Lots of running in front of you!

SkylineTrack

I was a bit burnt out after track ended so I took 10 days off before starting another base phase. After 3 months of 45 mpw (peaking at 60) I ran at Utah State's home race this morning. It was supposed to be 4 miles but it was closer to 4.2. Course was about half grass and half loose gravel paths. Lots of little turns. Finished in about 23:41 (so somewhere around 5:40 pace). Split 17:10-15ish for 5k and faded pretty hard the last mile.

This is definitely an improvement over where I was at this time last year. I'll start adding in some speed work here pretty soon and the try to find a couple of races in the 5k-10k range and try to lower my Pr's. I really neglected tempo types of workouts this summer and that hurt me a bit over the second half of the race.

Just a dude.

Sounds like you are making good progress.

A couple tempo runs might help. Remember that your races are doing much of the same things a tempo run would do.

Make sure you also mix in some hills and keep that base up. Keep us posted.

-Kelly