Ran my first 50K and I'm VERY unhappy (Read 267 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm assuming this was the same race that was the Canadian Ultramarathon Championship (thanks, Google)? If so, the results are going to be totally skewed to faster runners.

slingrunner

🤣🤣

Happy to read the research you are using to support your assertions. You know, if you wanna share.

Actually I believe the burden of proof is on you, since you laughed at my answer as ridiculous.

But it's only logical.  How often do you think a runner jumps into a 50K without running a marathon first?  A decent amount of the time I'm sure.  How often does one jump into a marathon without running a 50K first?  Nearly always.  50K runners are far more likely to be experienced.

For most of the multiple events races I'm at, the winning 10K times are speedier than the winning 5K times.  Recreationally speaking, stronger runners tend to push to longer distances.  In particular, the longer the distance, the more it benefits those that have experience, since pacing, nutrition, and gear, among other things, are more likely to factor in.

But if you want more of an exact example, I'll give you one. See the first post of this thread.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All the time. Except maybe ultras requiring qualifiers. Otherwise, all the time. Sure, front runners are talented folk, but the mid and back pack are very often waking a vast majority of the race. In the example I gave above, I was sick for 15 miles and DID walk them. I still finished in the first half. And I sure as hell ain’t fit. I barely ran 360 miles total last year.

Regarding statistics, I’m not sure these are available. We could look at ultrasignup performance stats, but there is no way to access the raw data to perform an empiric study. Well, at least I cannot access them. Maybe somebody else here can.

So that leaves us with anecdote and logic. In the ultras I have run, everybody is fit, for sure. But I would not hold them out as paragons of running fitness, more fit than top 5k, 10k, or even marathon runners. Lord knows, in my own case, my ultra performance percentile is nearly always better than my marathon performance percentile.

And I I apologize if my snark offended you. I genuinely laughed thinking your comment was funny, and truly wondered if it was meant in jest.

But it's only logical.  How often do you think a runner jumps into a 50K without running a marathon first?  A decent amount of the time I'm sure. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Or perhaps, put differently, ultrarunning — especially on trails — requires a different kind of fitness than road racing marathon and below.

I've never run a marathon, and I don't plan to.

In an interview for the local paper sports page while in HS, I can be quoted saying "marathon's are dumb". So I guess I have to stick to my word.

The 50k I did in Feb was the first race I've done since the 90's, not counting a DNF at Oregon Twilight last Spring. I think the most recent race was late 90's, a trail duathlon. The longest race I had done prior to 50k was 10 miles, and that was when I was 15 in 1978. Running/walking a long time really slow is not in any way an achievement. Until recent history, that was called "Tuesday", and still IS in many parts of the world.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

My question to you is this;

Am I beating myself too much over this?

Did I do better than my mind is making me think

Yes and yes

You should be happy, learn from what went well and not well

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xhristopher

My question to you is this; Am I beating myself too much over this? Did I do better than my mind is making me think I did or is my self-hate right now justified.

Not at all. This was your reality check and it looks like you probably failed. Time for some tough love. Open (or start) your running log. The answer might be staring you right in the face. People here will help you see that if you can't. Learn and train properly and to run faster and more efficiently. If you are an early 30s guy running over 4 hour marathons you probably aren't doing much.  Are you open to that?

mikeymike

I guess the blowing sunshine portion of this thread is over. X is here with some real talk.

Runners run

runnermacoy

X said:

Not at all. This was your reality check and it looks like you probably failed. Time for some tough love. Open (or start) your running log. The answer might be staring you right in the face. People here will help you see that if you can't. Learn and train properly and to run faster and more efficiently. If you are an early 30s guy running over 4 hour marathons you probably aren't doing much.  Are you open to that?

The quoting isn't working properly for me on my phone. Here is my reply: 

Rude posts like this make me laugh. Where the fuck did I say I DIDN'T have alot to learn? I'm always working to improve and get better. There is ALWAYS alot to achieve. 5 years ago, I was 40 pounds overweight and couldn't run for more than 10 seconds. Just two years ago, I could only run 10K. I've come a long way and I still have a long way to go. 

xhristopher

fuck 

Fantastic that you are making progress with your health. Some of the best runners here were also 40+ lbs overweight (smokers, addiction issues, etc.) when they started too.

Sorry you were unhappy with my post. If you only wanted positive replies that affirmed what you were doing while sharing no background other than a couple race times and locations you should have said so.

Sometimes getting pissed off at your result is just the fuel you need to step up your game and get to where you want to be.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Fantastic that you are making progress with your health. Some of the best runners here were also 40+ lbs overweight (smokers, addiction issues, etc.) when they started too.

Sorry you were unhappy with my post. If you only wanted positive replies that affirmed what you were doing while sharing no background other than a couple race times and locations you should have said so.

Sometimes getting pissed off at your result is just the fuel you need to step up your game and get to where you want to be.

Real talk.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.