Light week for every two week (Read 788 times)

jingchunyu

I have run recently with a light week every two weeks. It is enssentaiily just like I have a biweekly long run. Anything wrong with this?
    JakeKnight

Just my couple of yen: My initial thought was - no, of course not. Sounds fine. But I was assuming pretty high mileage. If you were running 70 miles per week and alternating that with 50 ... well, that makes sense to me. But at your level of mileage, I'm not sure you need any cutback weeks, at least not cutting mileage in half, and not every other week. It might even be setting you up for injury and not doing much for your base. If you want to keep your mileage where it is, if I were you I'd only do a cutback week ever third or fourth week. As in 35 - 35 -35 - 20. I guess the question is ... why do you want to cut back so much and so often?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Just my couple of yen: I guess the question is ... why do you want to cut back so much and so often?
        Ditto

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

milkbaby

You are basically just not running your long runs on the cutback weeks. No big deal -- it's like your training cycle is 14 days instead of 7 days. As long as you aren't becoming injured and you still like running, then do whatever you like. If you wanted to run 20 miles every day and didn't get hurt nor burned out, then do that, y'know?
          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
          dfffff

Every third/fourth week is more common and more sensible. I'd err on the side of the fourth week. I wouldn't even drop down to 20, do 35s then drop down to 25 or so. At your mileage, 10 miles of drop is a lot.
            runnerclay

Consistently Slow

As long as you aren't becoming injured and you still like running, then do whatever you like. If you wanted to run 20 miles every day and didn't get hurt nor burned out, then do that, y'know?
              Two key points: becoming injured and do whatever you like. Doing whatever you like will get you injured!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

a lot of plans have the long run every other week, but not that much of a cutback. The "off week" long run is still usually 10-12 miles. It just seems like too big of a reduction to go from 35 to 18 to 35. I think where your mileage is only doing a long run every other week is a good idea, but instead of reducing overall mileage, I would use the cut back as an opportunity to beef up your midweek support mileage. Total mileage remaining flat to maybe a small decrease. (i.e. take 10 miles off your long run and add 8 of them back to other runs)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

How about Long-Medium-Long-Rest pattern. At long weeks you should do a proper long run. Medium weeks long run should be shorter then long week's and rest week is a proper cut back mileage, something you are doing right now. Long runs are every second week and you get your, very needed, rest week once per month.
                  Nev

I think Ennay has got it spot on. From a very quick look at your log you seem to drop your long run every other week but you are not replacing it with anything. I am not a good one to comment as my weekly mileage has also been up and down but mainly due to work/family/weather/stuff but I do try to increase all of my other runs a little if I miss one. Nev
                    jingchunyu

I guess the question is ... why do you want to cut back so much and so often?
                      Sometimes I just become lazy
                        What about every other week shortening the long run as Ennay proposed, but doing a faster finish over the last 3-4 miles. This would still give you a good workout but break up the monotony of the every week LSD. What say the experienced ones?
                        Go Daddy

Sometimes I just become lazy
                          Excellent answer! Between that and the excellent ideas below, you have the beginnings of a solution to your question.