The Hunger Games (books & movies) (Read 907 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think these are gonna need their own thread, just sayin'.  I read the first book yesterday.  Now I am so freakin' antsy to see the movie, especially seeing that score on RottenTomatoes.com.  I like the casting a lot, not just the main characters, but also the secondary ones.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

12-week layoff

What was the score?  I'm trying to avoid reading too much/seeing a lot of previews because they usually ruin the movie.  I have taught the first book for the past two years, and the kids have begged the read the second and third books.  When 14-year-old kids are ASKING to have work to do, it must be good. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

90%.  That's pretty flippin' high.  The only criticisms I have really been seeing is that a lot of the violence is downplayed, but I get why they would have done that.  A lot of kids can handle reading violent passages, but to see it on the big screen is overwhelming.  Ultimately the movie had to pass as PG-13 for the intended audience to be able to view it in theaters.

~ Sarah Kay

Honestly they take violence to the extreme too much these days anwyay.  How many times have you watched a movie only to wonder why they had to use bad language or have that sex scene in it.  Especially when it is a PG13 movie.  Why not take those things out so it will be PG and you have a wider audience. 

Really like the 1st book (teenage daugther talked me into it).  Second book was decent and the third book had an excellent storyline only to really disappoint you through reading it. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and did you know there are schools taking kids to see it as a field trip tomorrow?  That would be cool, but some parents are freaking out over it...I get that.  Until the public has been able to see it I'm not sure it's good policy for schools to take kids.  Granted, if DS were 13 and his class were going I wouldn't think twice to let him go--but he already can handle pretty heavy and scary plots and inhaled the books in a week's time, so I wouldn't fear that he'd be overwhelmed by it.  He's totally desperate to see it. 

I think we're going to hit it Sat. night.  DH is doing a gravel road bike race on Sat., so he doesn't want to go out tomorrow night.  I'm tempted to take DS during the race...and then go again as a family.  I'm having a very hard time waiting even that long, now!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Honestly they take violence to the extreme too much these days anwyay.  How many times have you watched a movie only to wonder why they had to use bad language or have that sex scene in it.  Especially when it is a PG13 movie.  Why not take those things out so it will be PG and you have a wider audience. 

Really like the 1st book (teenage daugther talked me into it).  Second book was decent and the third book had an excellent storyline only to really disappoint you through reading it. 

Yeah, some of the stuff that flies in PG13 films surprises me.  But there is no way THG could be taken to PG.  Even PG13 would be impossible if the film really followed the books to the letter.  I think there's some guideline that allows X # of episodes and severity of violence to still qualify as PG13.  I don't see how the movie could get that if it were a perfect rendering of the book.

~ Sarah Kay

Wing

Joggaholic

I never quite understood how the MPAA rating worked. I wasn't in the US so it never applied to me when I was a kid, but I watched stuff like Aliens, The Thing, John Woo stuff...etc and they were all rated R (I was probably 10 or 11 years old then). None of those movies bothered me, but then Jaws, rated PG, kept me out of water for a long time...

vegefrog

You just read the book??? Zoomie! You gotta read the other 2!!

I have been not so patiently awaiting this movie for sooooooooooo long now. I have had my ticket to see Hunger Games @ IMAX up on my fridge for 2 weeks, LOL.

I can't wait! I do think the casting looks like it was well done. We shall see...

"run" "2" "eat"

Really like the 1st book.  Second book was decent and the third book had an excellent storyline only to really disappoint you through reading it. 

spot on. i completely agree. 

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You just read the book??? Zoomie! You gotta read the other 2!!

Ha, I know...my kid has been nagging me for months! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

I really liked the first book, really didnt like the 2nd book, and have yet to read the third.

And though i didnt like the second book at all, the ending did make me want to read the 3rd to see what they were going to do with the story.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So all you peeps decrying the MPAA rating for this flick, did you see it yet?  Do you know that the violence from the book actually made it into the movie?

Cuz I heard it did not. So that it could get the rating it got.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So all you peeps decrying the MPAA rating for this flick, did you see it yet?  Do you know that the violence from the book actually made it into the movie?

Cuz I heard it did not. So that it could get the rating it got.

I think that's pretty much what I said upthread...following the book would have made it a solid R, which would have meant that a lot of the books' target audience wouldn't be able to see it in the theater or rent or purchase the movie without a parent present.  I have no issues with them minimizing the violence in order to make tickets sellable to the same audience that the book was aimed at--tweens and younger teens.

~ Sarah Kay

I read all three, kind of wish I'd stopped after the first one.  I thought the first book was excellent and they go steeply down hill from there.  The third one read like she (Collins) had just stopped trying and wanted the series to end definitively.

My daughter has tickets for tomorrow night.  I will probably see it over the weekend when she sees it for the second time.

Runners run

"run" "2" "eat"

I read all three, kind of wish I'd stopped after the first one.  I thought the first book was excellent and they go steeply down hill from there.  The third one read like she (Collins) had just stopped trying and wanted the series to end definitively.

spot on. i completely agree.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams