Cross-training, hamstrings and basketball (Read 38 times)

I'm going to scale back my running to 3-4 days a week and mix in some cross training. I love playing basketball, but I haven't for years. Will this kind of running overwork my legs, or is it different enough from distance running that it will still be OK to do on off days.

Also, I've had chronic issues with pulling my hamstrings (a string of 4-5 softball seasons ended abruptly with such an injury). It stems from lack of flexibility and strength. Will weight training and other strengthening exercises focused on my hamstrings, legs, lower back and core on off days interfere with the distance running?

Thanks!

Take it slowly, there is no need to rush. You might as well consider to do walking first before involving to running. I love playing basketball also, and we know we need to have a good stamina and energy to fully enjoy the game.

we should prioritize our health and body. my site

Sorry, I guess my question wasn't clear. I'm already running about 15 miles a week. I want to cross train on off days in a way that will be good for cardiovascular health and general fitness, but not overwork the same muscles I use in running.

joescott

I love playing basketball, but I haven't for years. Will this kind of running overwork my legs, or is it different enough from distance running that it will still be OK to do on off days.

Doc, I don't know how old you are, but I have a word of caution for you to consider.  IMO, the direct answer to your question is that basketball can actually be a great benefit to running.  It's so anaerobic and bursty that I think it stimulates a different response than most running and can be great for your running.  I've seen one of my sons come into track season after a full winter of basketball and have stellar races.

Like you I loved playing basketball.  LIke you I hadn't really done it in years.  Then some guys invited me to play a few pickup games a few years ago.  Being by nature overly competitive and driven, I naturally went a little too hard.  I was in GREAT shape from running, so I was running circles around these guys on the basketball court from an endurance point of view.  Trouble is that my muscle memory or proprioception specific to basketball was gone from years of not playing very much.  At one point about 3 or 4 games into the evening I went skying up for a loose ball and put my legs down before they were actually on the ground, and ended up with a "stiff legged" landing that hyperextended my knee and ripped my ACL (and did other damage).  Now I am two knee surgeries later still paying the price for that one stupid night of basketball and wish 1000 times I could have that evening back because my first love is running.

So, be careful, especially if you haven't played in years.  I would highly advise playing "half speed" for a few weeks, maybe months, until you're sure your body remembers everything it's supposed to do playing basketball.  Or, if you are like me and running is truly your first love, consider retiring from hoops.  I have heard guys jokingly say that men over 40 shouldn't play basketball (because they always get injured).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I have heard guys jokingly say that men over 40 shouldn't play basketball (because they always get injured).

You've obviously been talking to my wife, haven't you? Smile And technically, since I turned 40 in November, I'm not "over 40." Yet.

joescott

You've obviously been talking to my wife, haven't you? Smile And technically, since I turned 40 in November, I'm not "over 40." Yet.

Yeah, she's supposed to send along the check today.  Cool

I was 42 when I wrecked my knee, fyi.    Good luck, whatever approach you decide on.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.