2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - I assume the D goal is to stop and walk to the finish?

That's great news about the weather, seems unlikely to change this close to the day.  So lucky to get that considering every other day looks pretty rough.

Since we're talking weather, the forecast for my marathon workout at the Wellington Half-Marathon on Sunday looks atrocious but I can't say I'm unlucky because that's Wellington for you.  11C with a -10 degree wind chill making it feel about 0-1C with 40-50km/h southerlies.  Northerlies are worse on that course but it's still going to be a bit of work into that wind for basically the whole first half.  Updated my plan with the coach based on the forecast so for the first half I'll try and hold marathon effort into the wind which will be 4:40-45/km but may well drop in parts where it's right into the teeth of the wind.  There are a few bays around the waterfront where I'll get a brief respite so my splits may not be too even.  Then on the way back I'll be looking at marathon effort again which could drop to 4:30-35/km.

A day like that isn't out of the question in Melbourne, albeit unlikely, so it will be a good practice run.  Kind of glad I'm not racing this one and it's a good reminder to not enter Wellington expecting a PR ever.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm going to set my pace for PR pace, and if things feel good, I can get a negative split for the MM.

sandbagger.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I didn't know I could be accused of sandbagging when I'm going out at HM+6 minutes pace! Rough crowd.

We don't have D goal. Only Z goal. My Z goal is a DNF and finish a 6 pack before 2 PM in misery.

Steve - that's a hard one to judge marathon effort. In minutes per KM, I do think 15 seconds is probably the right gap between the two different paces!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - This may be result of your leadership!

I hope all your goals include going straight to beers from the finish.  It looks like you'll be starting about 2am my time so I don't think I'll be tracking you but will be checking as soon as I wake up in Wellington.

Yep, if the wind is a direct headwind then a tailwind it will be at least a 15 second gap.  To be fair, there are enough bays to help me out although the wind can hit the hills on the bay and swing around back in your face.  The joys of Wellington.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve that's probably a mild wind for Wellington but it's still very windy !

For those who don't know, Wellington is the windiest city in the world.

Good luck and enjoy the race Steve.

Jmac that's great news on your forecast. One less thing to worry about. Have a great race and good luck.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

I didn't know I could be accused of sandbagging when I'm going out at HM+6 minutes pace! Rough crowd.

We don't have D goal. Only Z goal. My Z goal is a DNF and finish a 6 pack before 2 PM in misery.

I guess I just expected more from you after all these years. This one time I PR'd the half marathon. Twice. On the same day. It was probably HM+6 minute pace too. Oh wait....it's in California so it's clearly easier. I forgot. I think California measures half marathon distances differently. Also time.

A: 2:34:59 (MM)

B: 2:36:30 (PR)

5:55/mi vs 5:58:mi. Wow. Massive difference. If only I could imagine going 3 seconds faster than PR pace in a marathon instead of doubting myself. (I REALLY hope you can pick up the sarcasm right now because I'm painting it with a 1 gallon bucket). I'm sure it's totally different when you're super fast than when you're just fast.

You're aiming for a B goal with a 8-12 mph winds, 73% cloud cover, and 63% humidity. The Dew point is 44 degrees. TDP of 104.

Sorry I'm not sorry for calling you a sandbagger when you aim for a B goal under these conditions. If I had your abilities I would go for the moose mug. I guess the TDP table for workouts doesn't consider your weekend jog as a workout. I would rather have tried and failed than never tried to reach my full potential.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I realized my "go out at PR pace" wasn't clear. I'm actually going for 5:55 pace, that's what my half equivalent states. But the point about negative splitting is that my first 2 miles are always slow. So if I feel good, I can drop some 5:4X somewhere and grab the moose mug. It's not about sand bagging for a PR. Just as I told you for your race, I am going for 5:55, +/-5 seconds.

B goal doesn't mean what I'm shooting for. It just means I'm not gonna walk off that course on Saturday with a PR and somehow be disappointed in myself. I will be disappointed if I don't grab one though given the forecast and my cycle.

ETA: so I don't get accused of sandbagging later if I do hit it: THE GOAL IS A MOOSE MUG. End of story. That's my goal.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

You go get that moose mug. Monday you can fill it with Cheerios and milk and let your daughter eat breakfast out of it like a good father.  Well…6-13 weeks from Monday. Due to shipping delays. All dates are estimated based on random numbers and dates. Maybe by the time she is 3 you’ll have it.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

ETA: so I don't get accused of sandbagging later if I do hit it: THE GOAL IS A MOOSE MUG. End of story. That's my goal.

I might end up wetting myself with excitement if you go sub2:35 MM.

You lead by example and I’m confident that you’ll deliver.

Yes Marky, I’m his biggest cheerleader!  

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

J-Mac- Hopefully the taper madness has subsided a little.  Go out there and crush it!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well thanks guys. One fun wrinkle - my flight got cancelled. We are completely scrambling, but I may have a flight in tonight. It doesn't land til midnight, so I'll have to make up sleep the night before the race. I just booked a hotel at the airport as I can't imagine driving 2 hours at 1 am is how you get a MM!

Always fun when you travel for a race!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Go Jmac, we'll be cheering for you 💪

Is there a racer tracker? Sorry if already posted...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Ian5

Jmac-Have a great race,it sounds like you're in great shape and the weather has landed well.

Flavio-I put it in to play store and it brought the tracker up,presume it will be the same for Apple.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well thanks guys. One fun wrinkle - my flight got cancelled. We are completely scrambling, but I may have a flight in tonight. It doesn't land til midnight, so I'll have to make up sleep the night before the race. I just booked a hotel at the airport as I can't imagine driving 2 hours at 1 am is how you get a MM!

Always fun when you travel for a race!

Ugh - good luck!  (And this is why I always travel two days before a marathon - you were smart)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My wife’s flight back from Italy got cancelled yesterday.  Multiple flights from the UK are being cancelled at short notice. Welcome to the new normal.

#buildbackbetter

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)