need info on running two miles. (Read 165 times)

novacore

Ok so i want to get 16 minutes or less for a 2 mile run. I literally just started running last week.

My first mile run was 9 minutes. i gave my legs 2 days to rest.(They were hurting a lotttt ><Wink  The next time i ran, i did the mile in 8 minutes but did the second mile at 18 minutes.

My legs seem to tire out from pain before i run out of breath.

I have 20 days as my goal left to get to 2 miles under 16 minutes.

Any tips or advice or if its even possible for me to be able to get under 16 minutes for 2 miles in 20ish days?

Thanks.

Question - why do you have to accomplish this in 20 days?

If you are new, I'd just concentrate on running easy and not getting injured right off the bat.  Try to have fun with it and make it a habit.  It takes time for your legs to get used to the new activity and pushing hard on every run is not a good idea.  Maybe look into some beginner running schedules like Couch to 5K or similar.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

novacore

the reason for 20 days is because im leaving for basic training in the army and i want to get in as E2 rank. i need to do 42 push ups 57 sit ups and 2 miles in 16 minutes or less.

i can do the other 2 but i need to get my running together. im 130 pounds. i bench 160 so im not in terrible upper body shape. im 21 and i used to run the mile in highschool in under 6 minutes but that was a while ago. havent done cardio since i was 17.

so yeah i would like to reach this goal by the 20 day mark

you're young and will improve quickly.  For your size and age, 16 minutes should be quite easy.

Just keep running, nearly every day, but run more than 2 miles. Don't try to do every run at your goal pace. Just finish the distance and you will naturally get faster as your legs get use to it.  If you want to run faster on some days, try to do the second half of the run faster than the first.

Given what you've said, it should be fairly easy for you to get to 2 miles in 16 minutes.

If you really did the mile in 6 minutes only 4 years ago, you should have enough speed - 8 min miles isn't really very fast, most people can move at that pace, you just need to not slow down. Don't worry so much about trying to go at 8 min mile pace for the next week - run every day, 3 miles at 10 min/mile or slower. If you're too sore, then go slower. You primarily need endurance.

While you're doing your push ups and sit ups, do squats and lunges - do them fast while keeping good form. That will help build any strength you're missing for fast running.

Good luck, and congratulations on enlisting.

the reason for 20 days is because im leaving for basic training in the army and i want to get in as E2 rank. i need to do 42 push ups 57 sit ups and 2 miles in 16 minutes or less.

i can do the other 2 but i need to get my running together. im 130 pounds. i bench 160 so im not in terrible upper body shape. im 21 and i used to run the mile in highschool in under 6 minutes but that was a while ago. havent done cardio since i was 17.

so yeah i would like to reach this goal by the 20 day mark

Ok, I see.  In that case, I think this is doable provided that you don't hurt yourself by doing too much between now and then.  Run easy and build your endurance a little bit as others have commented.  You might try a "dress rehearsal" type run in a week or so of another 1 mile to 1.25 mile to get the pace ingrained.  This would be good as you might be likely to start out too fast and "die" if you screw up the pacing for your 20 day effort.  Good Luck!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

The first goal is to be able to "rest" while you are still running.  If you are going to run 8 min pace you can't be stopping to walk.  Start running 5 miles at a 9-10min pace or so and your 2 miler will be cake at 8 minutes! It doesn't take too long, just keep grinding and do not over do it.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

novacore

Thanks everyone for the information.

this will really help me out in the next two weeks of training. very helpful.

Thanks again guys!