Stress Fracture? (Read 85 times)

MPF_

Hello,

Just wanted to get some opinion on an issue I've been having over the last few weeks.

Started running about 2 month ago and was getting pain up my shin (shin splints) which, after having gait checked, was due to having flat feet.  Poor weather weather and waiting on delivery for a correct pair of support runners gave me around a month of recovery time and had no more issues.  Started again last week with fairly short runs to begin with (20km over 4 runs in the space of a week) with no signs of any issue or pain.  I did get cramp in my right calf on the last run of the week mid run.

This week, despite still running around the same distances, I've upped the speed/intensity by a considerable amount especially towards the end of the run (last 500m or so).

On Monday this week (the first session at higher intensity I ran 3km with no pain.  Following the run I felt like I'd pulled my right calf muscle which was tight but the pain moved around to the front, slightly inside part of my shin bone around 3 inches above my ankle.  I didn't think too much of it but I would say the pain in the shin was considerable, enough to keep me awake at night around 7 hours later.

I didn't train the following day (as per my schedule rather than due to wanting to rest) but on Wednesday I again ran 3 km at a higher intensity.  Again while running I didn't feel much pain, more discomfort however after the run I was in agony.  Unable to stand, unable to walk, even difficulty resting the leg up on the sofa.  Although there was no visible swelling, the same point on my shin (around the size of my finger tip) was causing more pain than I think I've encountered before (including a broken foot) and had the same deep nauseous ache was pressed as bone breaks can do.  The pain was so bad I went to A&E to have it checked but unfortunately I was seen by a completely disrespectful doctor whose exact words were 'because there wasn't a singular incident it could be anything so just don't run anymore as it is probably caused by running and repetitive impact and I'm not a sports physio'.  Great help!  I left feeling frustrated and a bit stupid as by this point around 4 hours had passed since the run and I'd taken pain killers so the pain was quite subdued.

Woke up this morning with a dull ache that more painkillers took care of and went to work without any reason issue bar the odd twinge.  Tonight I took my son to play a bit football.  Around a 10 minute walk away.  No issues when walking but within 30 seconds of very light jogging I felt the exact same pain as yesterday in the exact same spot and was again unable to walk.  Again, more painkillers and the pain has subdued and walking isn't a problem, bar the odd twinge.

Having read up A LOT on stress fractures and how they can be incurred (running on fatigued muscles/upped intensity etc) a lot would seem to point to this being the issue, but I'm hoping not.  I also don't really want to go back to see the doctor without knowing a little more about it, resulting in this post!

Has anybody else had something similar or have any advice?

Thank You

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

You're running so little that I would be surprised if it were a stress fracture, unless you're extremely overweight.  I'd drop the intensity - it sounds like you're doing too much too soon. Your body is telling you that it can't handle the intensity you're giving it, so back off, and increase intensity only slowly, only for a fraction of your total weekly running time, and only after a solid warm-up. With only 20km/week you should probably limit your intensity to strides once or twice a week.  Rest for a few days (walk, but don't run) and then give it a try, keeping things gentle.

MPF_

You're running so little that I would be surprised if it were a stress fracture, unless you're extremely overweight.  I'd drop the intensity - it sounds like you're doing too much too soon. Your body is telling you that it can't handle the intensity you're giving it, so back off, and increase intensity only slowly, only for a fraction of your total weekly running time, and only after a solid warm-up. With only 20km/week you should probably limit your intensity to strides once or twice a week.  Rest for a few days (walk, but don't run) and then give it a try, keeping things gentle.

Thank you. I thought it would be unusual to have a fracture with that level of running but was worried about the level of pain, especially as I normally have quite a high tolerance to it.   I’m not overweight but I’m very unfit. I’ve done little to no real running for around 10 years and most of my job involves being sat at a desk.  I’m going to take he next free days off then give it another try next week. Hopefully without a repeat

SMART Approach

It is not a stress fracture but could become one. Your body is telling you to back off - too much too soon. It takes 6 months to get fit. Be gradual with running even doing walk breaks. Initially take a day off between. Take a week off now and be more gradual with program. Don't even think about speed. All runs easy. Also, Google exercises for shin splints. Calf stretching, toe taps, dorsiflexion and a lot of calf stretching.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

There's an old-nurse test for Stress Fractures in the leg/foot: hop on one foot (the suspected area of fracture).  If you can't do it because of the pain, it's a stress fracture.  If not, then it is probably something else.   (I wouldn't suggest this test when you are in acute pain already, but when you feel "fine", since the stress fracture should still be there).

I've had luck with the above.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

MPF_

It is not a stress fracture but could become one. Your body is telling you to back off - too much too soon. It takes 6 months to get fit. Be gradual with running even doing walk breaks. Initially take a day off between. Take a week off now and be more gradual with program. Don't even think about speed. All runs easy. Also, Google exercises for shin splints. Calf stretching, toe taps, dorsiflexion and a lot of calf stretching.

Thanks.   I'll have  a look into it.  I've rested up  since Wednesday last week and I've now pretty much a constant ache in it now, whereas it was fairly intermittent, in that it would only occur during/after usage initially.

MPF_

There's an old-nurse test for Stress Fractures in the leg/foot: hop on one foot (the suspected area of fracture).  If you can't do it because of the pain, it's a stress fracture.  If not, then it is probably something else.   (I wouldn't suggest this test when you are in acute pain already, but when you feel "fine", since the stress fracture should still be there).

I've had luck with the above.

Ok thanks, I'll give this a try as well