Hip Pain (Read 86 times)

Annie1212

Hi all! I am 51 yo and new to running.  I have been using the app 5K Runner to build myself up to a 5K and I've been doing pretty well.  On Easter Sunday I started having pretty bad back and left hip pain.  After two weeks of heating pad, rest and stretching I was back in business and started working on building myself back up to where I was.  This morning I got back to where I was but about halfway through my run my left hip started hurting again.  I finished my run (which might have been the wrong thing to do), walked for about 8 or 10 minutes and then did some stretches.  My hip is killing me now!!  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do and how to prevent future injuries? I'm really enjoying running but am getting frustrated with the setbacks.  Thanks in advance for all your help!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You have the right idea. Stop and rest if there's pain. If 5k runner is like c25k, when you start running again, drop back a couple of runs in the plan and repeat those. It takes time for your body to adjust. If it's a lot of pain coming on the first run after you've rested it a few days, you might need to get it checked out by a doctor.

How old are the shoes you are running in?

Also consider the surface you are running on? Grass or gravel are going to be most forgiving. Pavement isn't too bad. Sidewalks/concrete is going to be the hardest. I know if I run too many sidewalks even now, my knees get sore.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

M57

I've had soreness or pain in either hip, but rarely at the same time. Mine seems to coincide with high mileage weeks or very long runs (20+ miles). The "solution" is rest days, active rest days (walking/hiking/cycling), and a change-up in runs (fast days, slow days, trail days, etc).

I had read an article about running injuries that found injuries above the knee happened more often to heel strikers, injuries below the knee to midfoot, forefoot strikers. If you're an extreme heel striker, that force gets transferred to your hips. Maybe work on more of a midfoot strike.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Christirei

Just another point of view, my running friend had hip pain that she eventually saw a PT for and he told her a disk was slightly out in her back and gave her several back exercises to do, mostly stretching - like lay on your stomach with your hands under your shoulders and press up arching your back, hold for a couple of seconds and release down flat, and repeat ten to twenty times. try to do several times per day. she also is hyper focused on her posture and doesn't sit anywhere without a back pillow or support.  just another idea....

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

How much walking do you normally do? If you're new to running, walking is your best friend. I'd suggest laying off all running until your hip feels 90-95% right. When you feel like you can start running, don't. Just increase your walking times and distances until it feels stupid to keep walking. I have no idea how long that will take for you; just listen to your body and see what it's telling you.

SMART Approach

More than likely you are dealing with a combination of excess loading and hip glute weakness. Are you doing strength work? Are you mixing in walks within your runs? Running is very stressful and your plan of attack needs to be veeerryy gradual. You have to address the cause of your pain. If you PM me I will send you my "No Run To 3.ONE" beginner plan. It is more conservative than the plan you are on or the Couch25K plan It is more conservative because it needs to be. I can also help you troubleshoot your pain.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Annie1212

Thank you for all of the responses!  I am planning on resting, stretching and walking until this is resolved.  I definitely will build myself back up when I do start running again.  Since I started running I was sick and had to take a break, threw out my back and had to take a break and now this.  It's just getting a little frustrating.  

To answer the questions, my shoes are not that old and I have 2 different pairs that I switch back and forth.  Maybe if this persists I will look into new running shoes.  I run in my neighborhood on asphalt.  Maybe I should go use the track at the high school.  

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to the point where I am high mileage, so we know it's not that.  I think you may be right about the heel strikes.  I will have to focus on that when I start up again.  

Good thought about the stretching.  I have to do more of it.  I'm hoping to get back into yoga, so that should help. 

I do some walking and I always warm up with a walk and cool down with a walk.  For the foreseeable future I plan to stick to walking and, even when I do start running again walk on the days I don't run.

Thank you all for your advice!

A quick way to learn not to land hard on your heel is to do a little barefoot running! Or with minimal shoes, like surfing/water shoes or the running versions with just 1/8" of rubber. If you go to the track, do a lap barefoot and then put on your running shoes, you'll notice the difference in your footstrike right away.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Annie1212

Thank you all for the advice!  I am back to running, but entirely differently.  I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos on posture and foot strikes and I've realized I was doing it all wrong.  A friend also recommended the book Chi Running, so I ordered that.  Hopefully this will be the end of my injuries.  Thanks again!

OlgaBelivskaia

link spam
                      OlgaBelivskaia

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16vBFNyHMuQtxwo0C72Gw3YNMsNBWa_tw3Dz-d5BPVvg/viewform?edit_requested=true