RunningAHEAD data importer (Read 981 times)

joaphill

This is a request for a RunningAHEAD data importer tool to compliment the exporter tool. My specific need to move data from the Runner's World page to RunningAHEAD. This would also benefit anyone else trying to do the same thing. It could also benefit anyone who wants to bulk load data from other running sites (provided they are able to convert their data to RunningAHEAD format).
    - Jonathan
    eric :)

I've been thinking about how to create a general importer. Since the demand for log importation is rather low (several requests a week), I rather not spend the time right now because there are more important features to add. However, I will add an importer for the RA XML data file for the next release because its data format is well known. eric Smile
        Eric. Me too, please. The import from coolrunning worked great, but i have a few months of RW log data that I would like to import just to get everything into one place.
        joaphill

Eric. A RA XML importer would be great. Thanks! I'm looking forward to the next release.
          - Jonathan
          whamblen

However, I will add an importer for the RA XML data file for the next release because its data format is well known.
            Any chance of making an RA formatted TSV importer instead or as well? I think that would be more generally useful. Many people can figure out how to export tsv from a spreadsheet or other commonly available applications. The XML format requires quite a bit more effort to create - unless you are importing something you exported from RA which seems like an unusual thing to want to do. Just a thought. - Bill
            eric :)

Bill, This is already available, unless TSV does not stand for tab separated values. You can download it as an XML file, or a tab delimited file. eric Smile
              whamblen

Hi Eric,
                Bill, This is already available, unless TSV does not stand for tab separated values. You can download it as an XML file, or a tab delimited file.
                Right: TSV = tab separated values. Sorry about that... I think I expressed myself poorly. :-) I was attempting to suggest that a TSV *im*porter that knew all the RA fields might be more useful than the XML importer you are working on for the next release. People can use Excel to create a TSV file ready for uploading to Running Ahead. Creating an XML file for that purpose, from an arbitrary data source, is a lot more involved. I was making an assumption (maybe a bad one) that since you already have both the XML and TSV exporters that the corresponding importers would be equally easy to implement. Of course your importer for Cool Running logs is TSV and is already "good enough" for most purposes. - Bill