10 marathons in 10 days (Read 131 times)

beat

Break on through

Michael Wardian just set a new record for 10 marathons in 10 days - 29:12:46  (average of 2:55:17).  This included 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days. Amazing!

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/sports/article/21046684/michael-wardian-breaks-record-for-10-marathons-in-10-days?fbclid=IwAR2MdKz_wf6IuBsd5L0hl4Fjbu76Q5wBcLiMNO5HJ14HdfpD9riiDwxLxzM

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

these kinds of records always make me wonder...

would you rather have that record or a sub 15min 5k?

maybe it's my track background, but personally my goal would always be to see how fast I could race 1 standard race distance event...

I sure he can run though!

300m- 37 sec.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

PVM - I saw this thread title, and before opening it my first thought was "I'm much more impressed with fast times, like a sub 14 min 5k." Kind of weirded out right now.

Anyway  yeah I'm not really impressed by pure endurance. Probably why I have zero interest in doing ultras. The only one that I'm actually impressed with is Big Backyard. The rest of them are for the birds.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

PVM - I saw this thread title, and before opening it my first thought was "I'm much more impressed with fast times, like a sub 14 min 5k." Kind of weirded out right now.

Anyway  yeah I'm not really impressed by pure endurance. Probably why I have zero interest in doing ultras. The only one that I'm actually impressed with is Big Backyard. The rest of them are for the birds.

Great minds think alike... Ha!

Reminds me of occasionally when I tell people I'm training for and racing 5k's, and their response is like....uh? you need to train for a 5k?? I could go run a 5k right now.

Another good one was, I told a girl I've been running 5k's, and she's like oh that's awesome, how far are those? 3.1miles, she was like that's all? really? she thought a 5k was like a half marathon or something. lol.

Like you...I have almost 0 interest in a Marathon or further, perhaps I will run 1 or 2 but no real plans to. If/when I get that fast 5k, I may try some 10k's and HM.

300m- 37 sec.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

FWIW  He's an Olympic Trials Qualifier and winner of multiple Ultra championships. Sure it was a stunt. Isn't all of this a stunt?

Michael Wardian's PBs

5k  15:09

13.1  1:06:30

26.2  2:17:49

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Great minds think alike... Ha!

Reminds me of occasionally when I tell people I'm training for and racing 5k's, and their response is like....uh? you need to train for a 5k?? I could go run a 5k right now.

Another good one was, I told a girl I've been running 5k's, and she's like oh that's awesome, how far are those? 3.1miles, she was like that's all? really? she thought a 5k was like a half marathon or something. lol.

Like you...I have almost 0 interest in a Marathon or further, perhaps I will run 1 or 2 but no real plans to. If/when I get that fast 5k, I may try some 10k's and HM.

I think JMac is saying that he’s not impressed by endurance “stunts” like 10 in 10 days....and neither am I

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

I can dig it.

I am slightly less impressed by the 7 continents thing, which Wardian did with a group of people who all ponied up $25k-$50k apiece (Wardian had sponsors) to do it. It is fun to ponder, but when it comes down to it, it is slightly less 'extreme' than it seems and more 'this was a fun trip for some rich folks and everything was taken care of'. There are a couple companies that put these things together... which is why I wrote 25k (company one) and then 50k (company two). The races they do are set up specifically for the small group of people who paid a bunch of money to do the journey.

Kind of fun. If I had the moolah, I might do it. Then again, when I used to have that kind of moolah, I probably would have felt weird dropping as much money on 7 days of this-was-created-for-us races as I did on my first home.

beat

Break on through

tough crowd!   heh.   .  I agree about the 7 continents event - it's very limited as to who can afford to do that kind of thing!  But 10 in 10 could all be the same course, without prohibitive travel expenses.  In related news, Mike Wardian has announced a couple of fastest known times he's going to try for - Washington and Old Dominion Trail in Virginia (a 45 mile rail trail) on 2/23 and the Israel National Trail (683 miles) in March.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Back in 2016 there was a British transvestite comedian (Eddie Izzard) who ran 27 marathons in 27 days for charity with no previous running experience. I liked that because he had balls (hidden balls?) to do that. I think most experienced long distance runners will know that running a lot of marathons at less than full effort is easier than racing 1 all out marathon.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mikeymike

I think most experienced long distance runners will know that running a lot of marathons at less than full effort is easier than racing 1 all out marathon.

Do we know that though? I'm not sure if I meet the qualification of an experienced long distance runner--I've run about 20 marathons, most of them all out--but 10 in 10 days sound daunting. Let alone averaging 2:55.

Tough crowd indeed. But Mike Wardian always seems like a good dude who just loves to run and probably isn't concerned with some guys on the internet who are not impressed.

mta: I'm basically in rlopez' camp. 7 on 7 continents is just sort of indicative of an ample travel budget and, meh. But 10 in 10 days at 2:55 seems worth getting your name in the paper, even setting aside the logistics of the 7 continents.

Runners run

mikeymike

would you rather have that record or a sub 15min 5k?

Fair question: would you rather have a quirky/weird endurance world record or the 5k PR of a middling D3 college runner?

For 40-something-year-old Mike Wardian, the answer appears to be "A".

Runners run

definitely a tough crowd !     I for one, whatever the circumstances,  think that what he did is pretty amazing & the fact that the human body is capable of such feats is truly incredible!

rlopez

Fair question: would you rather have a quirky/weird endurance world record or the 5k PR of a middling D3 college runner?

For 40-something-year-old Mike Wardian, the answer appears to be "A".

He is developing quite the laundry list of quirky records... including a new FKT set today.

rlopez

I think most experienced long distance runners will know that running a lot of marathons at less than full effort is easier than racing 1 all out marathon.

I don't speak for most, I only speak for me.

305 marathons, another 109 ultras. Gonna disagree with you there, old chap.

(of course, it kind of depends on what you mean by "less than full effort". That one time, not at band camp, where I did 4 in 4 days and ran day 4, which was the hardest course, as the fastest of the 4 AND within 5 minutes of my then-PR... that was hella harder. But fun.)

I'm just me though, and I a idiot.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Do we know that though? I'm not sure if I meet the qualification of an experienced long distance runner--I've run about 20 marathons, most of them all out--but 10 in 10 days sound daunting. Let alone averaging 2:55.

He frequently got asked why he raced so much when he had the potential to run a 2:12/ish marathon by just focusing on one race. His answer was that he might get injured and end up not racing at all. Fair enough I guess and if he picks up quirky world records along the way then good luck to him. 👍