2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nimmals - if you were one of those guys in the 3 black singlets, I definitely was creepily looking at you guys because I thought the jersey’s said “runner’s edge” which was my go to store in high school.

Fin - good to run into you, sorry you had a tough day. I wanted to stay longer to chat a bit more but I was just so confident going up that first hill I didn’t want to lose the momentum. By the the end of heartbreak I think my balls were smashed as well. I had to rush out of Boston to make a work conference for tomorrow, would have loved to join you for a beer after. Also what is the “recovery position” (or should I not even be asking)

MMC - it may have just been the weather, it was just so sneaky out there (see below), it’s so hard to tell at the end of 20 miles in a warm marathon whether it’s nutrition/bonking or dehydration.

I thought the overall weather was okay for the first half. It didn’t feel like it was getting to me, and I thought the slight breezes kept things cool. I realized though that was all a lie once I got into mile 21/22 when I felt thirsty. I don’t think I’ve ever felt thirsty in a marathon before (because I’ve been lucky with all 3 of my NYC races being below 60). When that sun poked out, it got downright hot.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. I’m very excited to run CIM and not run another NYC/Boston. I’m so tired of running large uphills more than 18 miles into a marathon. I hope some other folks besides just Swim sign up, would be good to get a good group going there. I think CIM has become the premier place to go run a fast time.

PS next marathon I’m going to stop thinking I can just find people. It’s impossible. There were at least 3 other people wearing the same rain suit that Andres recommended, and none of them were Weather. I only happened to see Fin because I saw “garscube” out of the corner of my eye and recognized that name from all his Strava runs. I searched all over that corral and couldn’t find either of them. Rookie mistake.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Table updated with the Boston results. Great running everyone!

JMac continues to put down amazing performances. Wait till this guy runs a flat course!

Mikkey: I added you in the table for London (even though you did not ask me to ). Let me know if you want a goal time listed there.

Gold - Sub 2:50

Silver - Sub 2:53 (Moose Mug)

Bronse - Sub 2:55 (Berlin qualifier)

Sorry Marky Mark! Big congrats on your Sub 1:15 half!!  I will now be expecting you to run a Sub 2:40 marathon next time. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sub 2:50! Talk about BOTT. I love it. Go get it 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I will now be expecting you to run a Sub 2:40 marathon next time. 😁

Current marathon status has gone from 'never again' to 'maybe next year'.  I've got a good line-up of 10km and HM's planned for this year, but I know I've got a (much) better FM time in me than my current PB.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

finbad

Fin - good to run into you, sorry you had a tough day. I wanted to stay longer to chat a bit more but I was just so confident going up that first hill I didn’t want to lose the momentum. By the the end of heartbreak I think my balls were smashed as well. I had to rush out of Boston to make a work conference for tomorrow, would have loved to join you for a beer after. Also what is the “recovery position” (or should I not even be asking)

I guess it must have some other name here. It's the lying on your side with your head back so you can't swallow your tongue position. The dude was out of it and I thought he was going to go down and hit his head so just got him on the floor and a lady from the crownd got a medic. I wasn't exactly being a hero cos I was already on a walk break.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

Good job guys.  I went up to a guy in athletes village thinking it was Fin - whoops!  I started in the back of corral 2 where there was a bit more space.  Based on how I felt during parts of that race I’m not sure it would have been a good idea to even run my goal pace.  It was weird as I’ve never had shooting cramps like that before in a race and I’ve run in humid weather way worse than that. I guess it must have been a combination of that and the rolling hills.  I also remember being slightly hungry before the race began so that could have played a role.  Sucks that I still just missed a PR by 7 seconds!!  I knew I was close with about 2-3 miles to go and then saw the clock turn right in front my eyes there on Boylston.  Oh well, no excuses as I fought hard and will live to fight another day 🙂

Also I’m starting to believe that I might have left my race effort in training with all those repeated Daniels Q2 workouts especially after my HM PR (which was also a Q2 cycle) in early December where I only really took 1 week to reset before jumping right into high mileage again.  As an example, JMac clearly saves his best stuff for race day and looking back his cycle was not all that crazy! Plus all my quality LR’s were pancake flat which does not prepare you for the meat grinder downhills up here.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Swim5599

Well done guys.  The course is not easy to get right.  When the conditions aren’t great it makes it even more difficult.

weather as someone that loved all the Daniels WO s i can definitely say I over extended during them.  Maybe not the case for you but maybe something to take a look at.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Andres1045

I thought the overall weather was okay for the first half. It didn’t feel like it was getting to me, and I thought the slight breezes kept things cool. I realized though that was all a lie once I got into mile 21/22 when I felt thirsty. I don’t think I’ve ever felt thirsty in a marathon before (because I’ve been lucky with all 3 of my NYC races being below 60). When that sun poked out, it got downright hot. 

The weather looked like it was going to be bad to me. I didn't want to say much, because what's the point? But yeah, not much you can do to regulate heat at the end of that race. Dumping water on your head has a lot less of an effect on you when it doesn't evaporate (unlike Boston 2016 and 17 that while warm, were quite dry).  One of the crappiest races I ran was Galveston Marathon in ~65-67 super humid and sunny. It was 4 weeks after running a 1:19:20, and weeks at 65+ miles. My plan was to go out easy at ~7 flat, and then negative split to get close to sub 3. Never got much lower than 6:50, and bonked hard by 22.  You did a fantastic job getting the result you got. I'm really looking forward to CIM.

Fin - Amazing that you went for it, "blew up", but still managed the time you did.  The sunburn says it all! I hope you stick around and keep going for marathons. You still have plenty of good races in you.

Weatherboy - Same. It's amazing that a 2:49 was a disappointing day. It sounds like you just had an off day. The hungry comment is an interesting one. I had a very similar experience feeling hungry in 2017, and bonked really early in that race (with a waaaay worse result than you had yesterday). I think time off or at a little lower mileage will do you some good. You've been going strong for quite a few years now.

Upcoming races: Boston

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - if you were one of those guys in the 3 black singlets, I definitely was creepily looking at you guys because I thought the jersey’s said “runner’s edge” which was my go to store in high school.

JMac that was me lol I ran as a guide/support Runner for Alex  an Autistic runner from Long Island. I did not sleep all week as he spent the whole two nights kicking and wouldn’t you guess he finished with a blister where is entire heel came off. So for him to run 2:48 was incredible when I saw his foot I wanted to cry. It breaks my heart how he hurts himself.

JMAC congrats on a great race you were going for a similar time so glad you got it. Oh yes I run for Runner’s Edge.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey: Great goals, I'm glad to see those! I know you're worried about the volume being lower this cycle but your quality has been great and your breakthrough performances in the 5k bode well for London.

Weather: A 2:49 is a great time (one I would love to run ), and you ran the most evenly paced among the trio, with only a 3 min positive split. Doing that while having leg cramps is damn impressive! You did put in some huge training in the last year or more so maybe you do have some cumulative fatigue. Maybe a Q1 Daniels would be enough for you.

Fin: I love that you went out BOTT from the start. As Neil Young put it, "Better to burn out than to fade away". You're due for a nice cool marathon after the London oven last year and this!

JMac: Outstanding racing. Who knows where your limit is; you are not near it yet though.

Marky: That half was incredible. It seems to be your best distance. If you do give the marathon another go, you will set a record for biggest improvement!

Nimmals: Great that you got your athlete to his goal, that is very admirable. How did your Padawan do?

Sling: Still a solid time; the first Boston is mostly about the experience so glad you enjoyed it.

Jayluf: Some days are just off ones; you had some great workouts in your cycle and if you put another together for the fall you will get that PR.

2:52:16 (2018)

Also, regarding the BAA 5k:

Congrats DW on the AG placing, that is excellent.

Nimmals: Congrats on a great run! 16:03 and first in AG, that is outstanding. You will get that sub 16 next time.

2:52:16 (2018)

steve_