Heading to San Francisco (Read 718 times)

Gig

I'm heading out tomorrow. I'll be busy as heck from Tuesday through Saturday, but I'll find time every day to do some running. I'm staying  near the Moscone Center, and it looks like I'll be able to do the Golden Gate Bridge, Presidio, Nob Hill--all the standards. They're all pretty tightly packed in. Are there any other requisite runs while I'm there?

AnneCA

I'm all for hills, but I was unaware Nob Hill was a standard or requisite run, LOL.

Get to the beach and do Golden Gate Park!  For route planning, do something like the Bay to Breakers route out there, and the SFMarathon route back through the park and across town. 

Heh, can't say I've ever run Nob Hill either but I'm kinda wimpy about hills.  I work near the Moscone Center and for a long run, I go down 2nd Street, around the ballpark and then down Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf, Aquatic Park, Fort Mason, Marina Green, Crissy Field, then out to Fort Point and up to the Bridge.  Essentially the first part of the SF Marathon course but taking trails up to the bridge instead of the road.  If you're doing this on a weekend, get out there early or you'll have to fight your way through the tourists at Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf.   

You do not need to do Lake Merced.  Trust me on that.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Imminent Catastrophe

Run across the bridge and get on the trails out in the Headlands. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Heh, can't say I've ever run Nob Hill either but I'm kinda wimpy about hills.  I work near the Moscone Center and for a long run, I go down 2nd Street, around the ballpark and then down Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf, Aquatic Park, Fort Mason, Marina Green, Crissy Field, then out to Fort Point and up to the Bridge.  Essentially the first part of the SF Marathon course but taking trails up to the bridge instead of the road.  If you're doing this on a weekend, get out there early or you'll have to fight your way through the tourists at Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf.   

I second this route. Running the Embarcadero can be a bit hectic on a weekend, however, especially around the Wharf -- unless you're a masochist, you should follow Bay Street until you hit Columbus Blvd.

If you want a less urban but in my opinion even more scenic route, start at Ft. Mason, then do Marina Green/Crissy, Fort Point, then follow the trails along Lincoln Blvd. and El Camino Del Mar out to the Land's End trail. From there you can make your way to the Great Highway and into GG Park. This is a good route for a longer run (12+ miles) with some trail running, a few good hill segments and lots of scenery.

The Marin Headlands trails are fantastic (and challenging). On a weekend, however, you may find it impossible to run across the bridge because of the throngs on the walkway. (The other walkway is reserved for bikes most of the time.)

Another option if you're into post-industrial landscapes: Run from the ballpark south along the Central Waterfront, toward India Basin. (Check it out on a map.) You'll have to do some zig-zagging in the area between Third St. and the bay, and it may look sketchy to some folks (it's not during the day), but I like it.

Feeling the growl again

This is my standard SF run when I'm attending something at Moscone, except I cut straight down to the Embarcadero from whatever hotel to the shore.  ~17 miles across the Golden Gate and back.

One question -- the Gate's north end was closed the last time I did this, but when I do get all the way across I thought it was pretty much a dead end.  I could not find any entrance to Marin Headland trails.  I saw them on the satellite images....any tips on how to access them from the end of the bridge?  To me it just looked like the road ran into a tunnel or something and there was no shoulder to run on to get more than a couple hundred yards past the bridge.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This is my standard SF run when I'm attending something at Moscone, except I cut straight down to the Embarcadero from whatever hotel to the shore.  ~17 miles across the Golden Gate and back.

One question -- the Gate's north end was closed the last time I did this, but when I do get all the way across I thought it was pretty much a dead end.  I could not find any entrance to Marin Headland trails.  I saw them on the satellite images....any tips on how to access them from the end of the bridge?  To me it just looked like the road ran into a tunnel or something and there was no shoulder to run on to get more than a couple hundred yards past the bridge.

Spaniel, if you have to cross the GGB on the east side path -- which is usually the case -- then you have to cross over to Conzelman Road, which is on the west side of the bridge.

If you're on foot, the best way to do this is to take a trail that begins near the on-off ramps for the Vista Point; the trail loops down, under the bridge, and then connects with Conzelman on the other side.

It's hard to explain in detail, but you'd have a pretty easy time figuring it out once you're over there.

Or you can just follow the bike trail when it exits 101 at Alexander Avenue, double back under 101, and you'll hit Conzelman that way, too. You'll just have to run in the bike lane for a few hundred yards.

Your last option is to run the west side path across the bridge, which dumps you directly onto Conzelman and access to the trails. I don't recommend this.

kcam

Why would a runner visiting SF NOT want to run Lake Merced? You can combine a loop of LM with a spur over by the zoo to the Great Highway and then run up the GH either on the beach (awesome) or on the bikepath up to the Cliff House.  That right there is a MONEY run.   Lake Merced would be paradise to runners from most other places.  Running on Fisherman's wharf and the GG bridge would suck unless BOTH are completed before 8AM.   

Why would a runner visiting SF NOT want to run Lake Merced? You can combine a loop of LM with a spur over by the zoo to the Great Highway and then run up the GH either on the beach (awesome) or on the bikepath up to the Cliff House.  That right there is a MONEY run.   Lake Merced would be paradise to runners from most other places.  Running on Fisherman's wharf and the GG bridge would suck unless BOTH are completed before 8AM.   

I ran that Merced-GH (or actually La Playa) route many, many times. It's not that it's a terrible run, but there are so many routes that are much more scenic and interesting.

One thing Merced-GH does have going for it is that it's flat. But if you want world-class views you gotta pay the price of admission!

Feeling the growl again

Running on Fisherman's wharf and the GG bridge would suck unless BOTH are completed before 8AM.   

Yup.  I always do it early.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jfa

and be sure to wear a flower in your hair.

Head over the bridge to the Marin Headlands - it is simply beautiful trails and sights.

TheDroppingDead

San Fracisco is an amazing place! I have literally been there at least 17 Times, and I live in Florida lol. Enjoy running there, because the weather there is amazing to run in, not hot at all. Thus the nickname, "Air-Conditioned City."
                            Gig

Thanks for all your help! I had a great time, including two nice runs. One was to the top of Lombard Street and back. That was fun. The other was to and across the GG Bridge and back, a 14+ mile run. That was an amazing experience. I wish I could have done more, but the convention I was there for kept me very busy.